Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > how to make background audio play in email?

how to make background audio play in email?

Adrienne

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Blinky the Shark
<(E-Mail Removed)> writing in
news:(E-Mail Removed) :

> Travis Newbury wrote:
>>> Sorry -- that part was definitely over the line in rudeness. I should
>>> definitely consider thinking before I post.

>> No you were completely correct

> I'm with you. Granted, that might be an impossible task for "Lola", at
> least with the most common meaning of the word.

Well I'm not the world's most masculine man,<br>
but I know what I am and that I'm a man,<br>
and so is Lola.<br>
Lo lo lo Lola. Lo lo lo Lola

--
Adrienne Boswell
http://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info

Mitja

On Sat, 04 Jun 2005 05:05:52 +0200, Dan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> Here is the flyer: http://www.maxipriest.com/promoad.htm

> Yuck... In my browser (Mozilla Suite), at least, the text overlaps the
> title graphic in a way that makes it unreadable.

So it does in Opera...

Toby Inkster

Adrienne wrote:

> Well I'm not the world's most masculine man,<br>
> but I know what I am and that I'm a man,<br>
> and so is Lola.<br>
> Lo lo lo Lola. Lo lo lo Lola

BLOCKQUOTE can't contain text directly. Need a P in there.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

Hywel Jenkins

In article <d7r6dg$lei$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
says...
> Dan wrote:
>
> > Lola wrote:
> >> Microsoft Outlook is my email program.

> > I pity you for having to put up with that piece of crud.
> >
> >> I am sending out a promotional flyer with an audio background mp3. I
> >> want my 10-second mp3 audio file that accompanies the fyer to
> >> "automatically play" when the email is opened up by the person receiving
> >> the email.

> > If this is being sent out to the general public, they may be using a
> > wide range of different mail programs, many of which may be quite
> > incapable of "automatically" playing any sound files that might come in
> > along with messages. This incapacity may be intentional on the part of
> > recipients who don't want their eardrums assaulted by their e-mail.

> Microsoft do not know the meaning of the word "obtrusive". That's why they
> can't compete with Google, which stick to light-weight. That's also why
> they are the victims of spyware, viruses, etc.

What are you talking about? Sounds like "wittering" to me.

--
Hywel

Kill the Crazy Frog
http://www.petitiononline.com/crzyfrg/

Andy Dingley

On Sat, 04 Jun 2005 01:50:29 GMT, "Lola" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Microsoft Outlook is my email program.

No it isn't, it's the Ukraine's email program - even your copy of it.

_Especially_ your copy of it. You are so 0wned.

>How do I make this happen?

You don't.
Please never _EVER_ think of sending promotional emails like this ever
again.

Adrienne

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Toby Inkster <usenet200504
@tobyinkster.co.uk> writing in newsan.2005.06.04.08.41.28.301055
@tobyinkster.co.uk:

> Adrienne wrote:

>> Well I'm not the world's most masculine man,<br>
>> but I know what I am and that I'm a man,<br>
>> and so is Lola.<br>

> BLOCKQUOTE can't contain text directly. Need a P in there.

You're right, and I didn't check it before posting... late at night, etc.
Who knew Usenet would throw an error?

--
Adrienne Boswell
http://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info

Animesh Kumar

Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> Lola wrote:
>

>>I am sending out a promotional flyer with an audio background mp3. I want
>>my 10-second mp3 audio file that accompanies the fyer to "automatically
>>play" when the email is opened up by the person receiving the email.

> Leif wrote:
>

>>So basically, you want to make your customers and everyone else hate
>>you. I recommend that you either stop wanting that or castrate yourself.

>>Sorry -- that part was definitely over the line in rudeness. I should
>>definitely consider thinking before I post.

> Travis Newbury wrote:
>

>>No you were completely correct

> Leif, many people to receive that E-mail will hear any sound. I can only
> imagine what nasty HTML accompanies that flyer, so it will not be visible
> to many either.
>
> Those who can hear the sound will probably be annoyed. Am I the only one who
> listens to music while using the computer?
>
> People need to read more about the harms of Flash, sounds (even menu item
> clunks), and Microsoft-specific traffic.
>
> Roy

What is all this noise about automatically playing emails? It can be
very helpful for blind-people (with some assistance), for example. Or a
person working elsewhere and hearing his/her emails.

In the end, everything can be used constructively or destructively. It
is for us to choose the right one with our judgement.

Best

Leif K-Brooks

Animesh Kumar wrote:
> What is all this noise about automatically playing emails? It can be
> very helpful for blind-people (with some assistance), for example. Or a
> person working elsewhere and hearing his/her emails.

A blind person will already have software installed to read their
emails. They won't need the email to do anything special. If the email
does, it will serve as an annoyance to everyone.

Animesh Kumar

Leif K-Brooks wrote:
> Animesh Kumar wrote:
>
>>What is all this noise about automatically playing emails? It can be
>>very helpful for blind-people (with some assistance), for example. Or a
>>person working elsewhere and hearing his/her emails.

> A blind person will already have software installed to read their
> emails. They won't need the email to do anything special. If the email
> does, it will serve as an annoyance to everyone.

Oh well, it can be argued this way. But if my email program can play
(pronounce) the email, I dont need the extra assistance software. It
could be used for non-blind situations too; for instance, my mother does
not likes reading things on the monitor.

Best

kchayka

Animesh Kumar wrote:

> What is all this noise about automatically playing emails? It can be
> very helpful for blind-people (with some assistance),

Is there some reason you think that blind people don't already use
assistive technology that reads their email out loud, using settings
that they prefer (like what voice to use, speed, etc.)? What about those
that use a braille device instead?

It's just plain rude to automatically play a sound file. Period.