Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > how to make background audio play in email?

how to make background audio play in email?

Lola

Microsoft Outlook is my email program.

I am sending out a promotional flyer with an audio background mp3. I want
my 10-second mp3 audio file that accompanies the fyer to "automatically
play" when the email is opened up by the person receiving the email.

At this time, I can get the flyer to transfer to the email properly, but the
background won't play automatically when opened.
Here is the flyer: http://www.maxipriest.com/promoad.htm

How do I make this happen?

Leif K-Brooks

Lola wrote:
> I am sending out a promotional flyer with an audio background mp3. I want
> my 10-second mp3 audio file that accompanies the fyer to "automatically
> play" when the email is opened up by the person receiving the email.

So basically, you want to make your customers and everyone else hate
you. I recommend that you either stop wanting that or castrate yourself.

Leif K-Brooks

Leif K-Brooks wrote:
> castrate yourself

Sorry -- that part was definitely over the line in rudeness. I should
definitely consider thinking before I post.

Travis Newbury

Leif K-Brooks wrote:
>>castrate yourself

> Sorry -- that part was definitely over the line in rudeness. I should
> definitely consider thinking before I post.

No you were completely correct

--
-=tn=-

Dan

Lola wrote:
> Microsoft Outlook is my email program.

I pity you for having to put up with that piece of crud.

> I am sending out a promotional flyer with an audio background mp3. I want
> my 10-second mp3 audio file that accompanies the fyer to "automatically
> play" when the email is opened up by the person receiving the email.

If this is being sent out to the general public, they may be using a
wide range of different mail programs, many of which may be quite
incapable of "automatically" playing any sound files that might come in
along with messages. This incapacity may be intentional on the part of
recipients who don't want their eardrums assaulted by their e-mail.

> At this time, I can get the flyer to transfer to the email properly, but the
> background won't play automatically when opened.
> Here is the flyer: http://www.maxipriest.com/promoad.htm

Yuck... In my browser (Mozilla Suite), at least, the text overlaps the
title graphic in a way that makes it unreadable.

--
Dan

Roy Schestowitz

Travis Newbury wrote:

> No you were completely correct

Leif, many people to receive that E-mail will hear any sound. I can only
imagine what nasty HTML accompanies that flyer, so it will not be visible
to many either.

Those who can hear the sound will probably be annoyed. Am I the only one who
listens to music while using the computer?

People need to read more about the harms of Flash, sounds (even menu item
clunks), and Microsoft-specific traffic.

Roy

--
Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com

The Magician

In article <FN7oe.108$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...
> Microsoft Outlook is my email program.
>
> I am sending out a promotional flyer with an audio background mp3. I want
> my 10-second mp3 audio file that accompanies the fyer to "automatically
> play" when the email is opened up by the person receiving the email.
>
> At this time, I can get the flyer to transfer to the email properly, but the
> background won't play automatically when opened.
> Here is the flyer: http://www.maxipriest.com/promoad.htm
>
> How do I make this happen?

I'm not sure about in Outlook...but in Outlook Express, if you "Create a New Email", and go up to the new email's toolbar...
Hit "Format>Background>Sound...and a box opens up for you to browse for a sound, and configure it to plays X amount of times or loop it.
You can also change the email's background color, or add a background stationary or picture that same way.
Like I said...that's in OE... I haven't had Outlook on this machine for awhile now...so I forget.
But I'm almost positive there's something similar...or at least a similar workable soloution to doing it in Outlook.
If not...check the Help file.

Hope that helps.

Roy Schestowitz

Dan wrote:

> Lola wrote:
>> Microsoft Outlook is my email program.

> I pity you for having to put up with that piece of crud.
>
>> I am sending out a promotional flyer with an audio background mp3. I
>> want my 10-second mp3 audio file that accompanies the fyer to
>> "automatically play" when the email is opened up by the person receiving
>> the email.

> If this is being sent out to the general public, they may be using a
> wide range of different mail programs, many of which may be quite
> incapable of "automatically" playing any sound files that might come in
> along with messages. This incapacity may be intentional on the part of
> recipients who don't want their eardrums assaulted by their e-mail.

Microsoft do not know the meaning of the word "obtrusive". That's why they
can't compete with Google, which stick to light-weight. That's also why
they are the victims of spyware, viruses, etc.

>> At this time, I can get the flyer to transfer to the email properly, but
>> the background won't play automatically when opened.
>> Here is the flyer: http://www.maxipriest.com/promoad.htm

> Yuck... In my browser (Mozilla Suite), at least, the text overlaps the
> title graphic in a way that makes it unreadable.

The text overlaps very badly and is illegible. I tested it under Firefox,
which renders pages as correctly as any other browser could.

Roy

--
Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com

Blinky the Shark

Lola wrote:
> Microsoft Outlook is my email program.

> I am sending out a promotional flyer with an audio background mp3. I want
> my 10-second mp3 audio file that accompanies the fyer to "automatically
> play" when the email is opened up by the person receiving the email.

Have your victims opted into receiving promotional email from you?

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

Blinky the Shark

Travis Newbury wrote:
> Leif K-Brooks wrote:
>>>castrate yourself

>> Sorry -- that part was definitely over the line in rudeness. I should
>> definitely consider thinking before I post.

> No you were completely correct

I'm with you. Granted, that might be an impossible task for "Lola", at
least with the most common meaning of the word.

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263