Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Got me beat...

Got me beat...

KiwiBrian

On my page at http://www.hibiscuslink.co.nz/rbsl/ when viewed in IE6 there
is a desired dark brown border surrounding the horizontal menu.
When viewed in FF the border seems to only be displayed above the menu
instead of surrounding it.
I would love to know the reson why, and how to make the border display the
same in both browsers.
All CSS is embedded and/or inline.
Brian Tozer

Adrienne

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "KiwiBrian" <(E-Mail Removed)>
writing in news:d7oj46$bo9$(E-Mail Removed):

> On my page at http://www.hibiscuslink.co.nz/rbsl/ when viewed in IE6
> there is a desired dark brown border surrounding the horizontal menu.
> When viewed in FF the border seems to only be displayed above the menu
> instead of surrounding it.
> I would love to know the reson why, and how to make the border display
> the same in both browsers.
> All CSS is embedded and/or inline.
> Brian Tozer

Give #navcontainer ul height and you will have your border.

--
Adrienne Boswell
http://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info

KiwiBrian

"Adrienne" wrote ...
> Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "KiwiBrian" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> writing in news:d7oj46$bo9$(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> On my page at http://www.hibiscuslink.co.nz/rbsl/ when viewed in IE6
>> there is a desired dark brown border surrounding the horizontal menu.
>> When viewed in FF the border seems to only be displayed above the menu
>> instead of surrounding it.
>> I would love to know the reson why, and how to make the border display
>> the same in both browsers.
>> All CSS is embedded and/or inline.

> Give #navcontainer ul height and you will have your border.

Thanks so much Adrienne.
The first time I have come across that particular gotcha.
Brian.

dorayme

> From: Adrienne <(E-Mail Removed)>

> Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "KiwiBrian" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> writing in news:d7oj46$bo9$(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> On my page at http://www.hibiscuslink.co.nz/rbsl/ when viewed in IE6
>> there is a desired dark brown border surrounding the horizontal menu.
>> When viewed in FF the border seems to only be displayed above the menu
>> instead of surrounding it.
>> I would love to know the reson why, and how to make the border display
>> the same in both browsers.
>> All CSS is embedded and/or inline.
>> Brian Tozer
>>

> Give #navcontainer ul height and you will have your border.

But what height? In pixels like width? In em? In %? It looks ok at a guessed
px height, true.

But it all breaks down when changing browser font sizes. And rather
dramatically where the rect border can be outside the links altogether. Is
there some fundamental reason to use tables? Yes? Fine! Then why mess about
with all this stuff of divs within and fancy css? If you are going to code
according to the idea of separating style from content and run this
difficult river, then do so without tables and then the disadvantages of
having it break down a bit at least can be balanced. If you use tables
anyway, you don't need these headaches. You don't need inline this, and
margins that, display this and lists for so simple a menu if you are going
to use table cells anyway.

These remarks are directed to the OP, in case there is any
misunderstanding...

dorayme

Adrienne

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)>
writing in news:BEC62704.12330%(E-Mail Removed):

>> From: Adrienne <(E-Mail Removed)>

>> Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "KiwiBrian"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> writing in news:d7oj46$bo9$(E-Mail Removed):
>>
>>> On my page at http://www.hibiscuslink.co.nz/rbsl/ when viewed in IE6
>>> there is a desired dark brown border surrounding the horizontal menu.
>>> When viewed in FF the border seems to only be displayed above the
>>> menu instead of surrounding it.
>>> I would love to know the reson why, and how to make the border
>>> display the same in both browsers.
>>> All CSS is embedded and/or inline.
>>> Brian Tozer
>>>

>> Give #navcontainer ul height and you will have your border.

> But what height? In pixels like width? In em? In %? It looks ok at a
> guessed px height, true.

The OP is free to use whatever unit of height suits. When I was
experimenting I used 2ems.

> But it all breaks down when changing browser font sizes. And rather
> dramatically where the rect border can be outside the links altogether.
> Is there some fundamental reason to use tables? Yes? Fine! Then why
> mess about with all this stuff of divs within and fancy css? If you are
> going to code according to the idea of separating style from content
> and run this difficult river, then do so without tables and then the
> disadvantages of having it break down a bit at least can be balanced.
> If you use tables anyway, you don't need these headaches. You don't
> need inline this, and margins that, display this and lists for so
> simple a menu if you are going to use table cells anyway.

Agreed.

> These remarks are directed to the OP, in case there is any
> misunderstanding...

I knew that, and agree with it.

--
Adrienne Boswell
http://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info

If you Got Questions? I bet We got Answers Leisure.201@gmail.com Javascript 1 04-28-2007 11:04 PM
have you got any of these i can have spike240 Case Modding 4 09-14-2005 03:48 AM
got an idea stlava Case Modding 8 07-14-2005 08:39 AM
Just got a new laptop =?Utf-8?B?QWRhbQ==?= Wireless Networking 4 03-26-2005 09:14 AM
I got trouble for Wireless LAN + Windows Me OS Kevin Daddy Wireless Networking 2 09-01-2004 09:48 AM

Advertisments