Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > CSS question -- why doesn't this work in IE?

CSS question -- why doesn't this work in IE?

dorayme

> From: Animesh Kumar <(E-Mail Removed)>
> nospam wrote:
>
>> I have a site with web design links at:
>> http://tips.webdesign10.com
>>
>> Does anyone know why the right border of the navigation menu disappears
>> in IE? It works in Firefox.
>>
>> Thanks

> It is a bit contradictory that you want to teach web-design and you
> don't have a clue of disappearing borders. What say?
>
> Best

It is not contradictory. No one is perfect. And people can teach and
contribute and still need help in certain areas...

dorayme

nospam

Animesh Kumar wrote:
> nospam wrote:
>
>> I have a site with web design links at:
>> http://tips.webdesign10.com
>>
>> Does anyone know why the right border of the navigation menu
>> disappears in IE? It works in Firefox.
>>
>> Thanks

> It is a bit contradictory that you want to teach web-design and you
> don't have a clue of disappearing borders. What say?
>
> Best

Who me? I'm not teaching web design. I just made some pages with links
to web design tutorials for people who were asking me how to do it. The
list got so long that I split it into many pages. You won't find any
tutorials there, just links to tutorials. And, in any case, I know more
than a lot of people I've met who make a living with web design -- in
terms of generating cash with the Internet for businesses. I'm still
starting out with programming and don't claim to be an expert. I refer
people to the site when I introduce them to the idea of free software,
or when helping them get started with learning more about computers.

Do *you* know why the right borders are disappearing only in IE? I
haven't heard any answers yet.

Jonathan N. Little

nospam wrote:

<snip>
> Do *you* know why the right borders are disappearing only in IE? I
> haven't heard any answers yet.

try editing your CSS file as such

#centercontent {
/* background:#fff */;
background: transparent;
border: 1px solid #f00;
vertical-align: top;
padding: 0px 15px 15px 15px;
}

and you can better see what IE is doing and find what rule is the
problem. Your CSS file shows many transitions edits and you may have
conflicting rules...

strip down your design to find the problem, use FF or Mozilla's DOM
Inspector and compare the CSS Style Rules vs the Computed Style. A
confict may be interpricted one way by one browser and another by a
different one...

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Animesh Kumar

nospam wrote:

> Animesh Kumar wrote:
>
>> nospam wrote:
>>
>>> I have a site with web design links at:
>>> http://tips.webdesign10.com
>>>
>>> Does anyone know why the right border of the navigation menu
>>> disappears in IE? It works in Firefox.
>>>
>>> Thanks

>> It is a bit contradictory that you want to teach web-design and you
>> don't have a clue of disappearing borders. What say?
>>
>> Best

> Who me? I'm not teaching web design. I just made some pages with links
> to web design tutorials for people who were asking me how to do it. The
> list got so long that I split it into many pages. You won't find any
> tutorials there, just links to tutorials. And, in any case, I know more
> than a lot of people I've met who make a living with web design -- in
> terms of generating cash with the Internet for businesses. I'm still
> starting out with programming and don't claim to be an expert. I refer
> people to the site when I introduce them to the idea of free software,
> or when helping them get started with learning more about computers.
>
> Do *you* know why the right borders are disappearing only in IE? I
> haven't heard any answers yet.

There are many issues wrt IE handling borders, padding, margins etc
differently than what CSS suggests. You may want to check with a book.

I ended up in some extra-white space in IE as well which I got rid of by
trial and errors.

Best