Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > A simple one: Prompt to open file?

A simple one: Prompt to open file?

Dylan Parry

Using a pointed stick and some pebbles, Alan Searle scraped this into
the dirt:

> Or maybe there is a setting on my server (Apache) that I need to change?

You need to add .csv as a filetype in the Apache config, or in an
htaccess file if you don't have access to the main config.

http://bignosebird.com/apache/a1.shtml
http://filext.com/detaillist.php?ext...sv&goButton=Go

--
Dylan Parry

Alan Searle

I have incorporated a link to a CSV (comma delimited) file in a simple
HTML web page with the following ...

.... and find that, yes, the link is found, but the browser simply
displays the content (text) of the file rather than opening it in a
local application. What I really need, however, is for the browser to
prompt the user to open the file with his/her choice of application
(e.g. MS-Excel or OpenOffice).

Is there a command/piece of syntax that would force this?

Or maybe there is a setting on my server (Apache) that I need to change?

I have consulted my HTML manuals but so far haven't found anything to
help me so any tips would be gratefully received.

Regards,
Alan Searle.

Alan Searle

Dylan Parry wrote:
> Using a pointed stick and some pebbles, Alan Searle scraped this into
> the dirt:
>
>> Or maybe there is a setting on my server (Apache) that I need to change?

> You need to add .csv as a filetype in the Apache config, or in an
> htaccess file if you don't have access to the main config.
>
> http://bignosebird.com/apache/a1.shtml
> http://filext.com/detaillist.php?ext...sv&goButton=Go

Excellent. It worked. Many thanks Dylan