Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > text editor

text editor

windandwaves

Hi Folk

As a web editor, I often get text delivered to me in, for example, a Word
document with the request to place it on a page.

The problem is that Word and its cousins use all sorts of funny characters
that should not be used on the page (e.g. MS specific characters).

I am about to make my own text converter that cleans up all this business,
but I was wondering if there are any tools out there that prepare text for
web.... something nice and simple.

How do you do it?

Thanks in advance

- Nicolaas

mbstevens

windandwaves wrote:
> Hi Folk
>
> As a web editor, I often get text delivered to me in, for example, a Word
> document with the request to place it on a page.
>
> The problem is that Word and its cousins use all sorts of funny characters
> that should not be used on the page (e.g. MS specific characters).
>
> I am about to make my own text converter that cleans up all this business,
> but I was wondering if there are any tools out there that prepare text for
> web.... something nice and simple.

The 'recode' command line tool is popular on 'nix
and an older version runs on Win:
http://recode.progiciels-bpi.ca/
http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1345.html
--
mbstevens
http://www.mbstevens.com/

data64

"windandwaves" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:429e3952$1
@clear.net.nz:

> Hi Folk
>
> As a web editor, I often get text delivered to me in, for example, a Word
> document with the request to place it on a page.
>
> The problem is that Word and its cousins use all sorts of funny characters
> that should not be used on the page (e.g. MS specific characters).
>
> I am about to make my own text converter that cleans up all this business,
> but I was wondering if there are any tools out there that prepare text for
> web.... something nice and simple.

I would try Html Tidy first.
http://tidy.sourceforge.net/

Specifically the word-2000 option
http://tidy.sourceforge.net/docs/qui...html#word-2000

Also, Dreamweaver has some features to do something similar.

data64