Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Favicons

Favicons

UKuser

Hi,

I have created a favicon and it works fine in Firefox. However I
updated it, reuploaded it, and now only users who havent been to the
site can view the new icon.

I have:
1) Cleared my web history
2) Tried dragging the icons off the toolbar to refresh it
3) Am using the <Link rel> attribute

IE won't display the icon, but as Firefox would, I am interested to
know how to reset my cache (whereever its stored).

Thanks

Antony

Els

UKuser wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have created a favicon and it works fine in Firefox. However I
> updated it, reuploaded it, and now only users who havent been to the
> site can view the new icon.
>
> I have:
> 1) Cleared my web history
> 2) Tried dragging the icons off the toolbar to refresh it
> 3) Am using the <Link rel> attribute
>
> IE won't display the icon, but as Firefox would, I am interested to
> know how to reset my cache (whereever its stored).

So, your question really is "how do I empty Firefox' cache?" ?
In the menubar:
tools > options > privacy > cache -> press "clear".

--
Els http://locusmeus.com/
- Renato Russo -

Chris Hope

UKuser wrote:

> I have created a favicon and it works fine in Firefox. However I
> updated it, reuploaded it, and now only users who havent been to the
> site can view the new icon.
>
> I have:
> 1) Cleared my web history
> 2) Tried dragging the icons off the toolbar to refresh it
> 3) Am using the <Link rel> attribute
>
> IE won't display the icon,

IE will only display the icon after you've added it to your favorites.

> but as Firefox would, I am interested to
> know how to reset my cache (whereever its stored).

UKuser

Thanks for that. I was getting confused (again) with my history and
temporary internet files.

Antony

Roy Schestowitz

Chris Hope wrote:

> UKuser wrote:
>
>> I have created a favicon and it works fine in Firefox. However I
>> updated it, reuploaded it, and now only users who havent been to the
>> site can view the new icon.
>>
>> I have:
>> 1) Cleared my web history
>> 2) Tried dragging the icons off the toolbar to refresh it
>> 3) Am using the <Link rel> attribute
>>
>> IE won't display the icon,

> IE will only display the icon after you've added it to your favorites.

Same with Firefox IIRC. It would be very expensive to periodically scan all
Web sites in the bookmarks and refresh their favicon.ico. Imagine what this
would do to usage log. Even worse than access to RSS feeds...

>> but as Firefox would, I am interested to
>> know how to reset my cache (whereever its stored).

--
Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com

Chris Hope

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> Chris Hope wrote:
>
>> UKuser wrote:
>>
>>> I have created a favicon and it works fine in Firefox. However I
>>> updated it, reuploaded it, and now only users who havent been to the
>>> site can view the new icon.
>>>
>>> I have:
>>> 1) Cleared my web history
>>> 2) Tried dragging the icons off the toolbar to refresh it
>>> 3) Am using the <Link rel> attribute
>>>
>>> IE won't display the icon,

>> IE will only display the icon after you've added it to your
>> favorites.

> Same with Firefox IIRC. It would be very expensive to periodically
> scan all Web sites in the bookmarks and refresh their favicon.ico.
> Imagine what this would do to usage log. Even worse than access to RSS
> feeds...

Firefox displays the icon when you go to the site. IE will only display
the icon when you bookmark it. I've watched Apache logs when testing
stuff and I've seen Firefox request the favicon file on every page
request.

any way to remove favicons? mccall Firefox 2 10-31-2004 04:56 AM
What is the story with FavIcons icons. pyotr filipivich Firefox 3 10-02-2004 03:51 PM
firefox 1.0 and favicons mccall Firefox 0 09-18-2004 12:35 PM
Cache and Favicons gaspin Firefox 1 07-04-2004 05:56 PM
Why do favicons disappear after a few weeks? hectorcorrector Firefox 3 01-24-2004 05:53 AM

Advertisments