Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Opinions On This Site?

Opinions On This Site?

Dan

Travis Newbury wrote:
> kchayka wrote:
>
> > Does this mean you think some people *like it* when the focus is
> > automatically put somewhere they don't want to be? Masochists, maybe.

> You are making the assumption that everyone thinks it should not be
> there. When I go to a page that requires input I like the focus to be
> in the right field so I can just start typing.

But if a page takes a long time to load, perhaps you'll click on a
field (or on the address bar to go to a different site) and start
typing, and then midway through this, the page finally finishes loading
and whisks your cursor away to the place the site author thought you
should be typing first. This is annoying, and sometimes even a
security risk, if what you were in the middle of typing was a password
(in a field that shows it as asterisks for security), and suddenly the
password you're typing shows on-screen in plain text in the field
you've been moved to.

--
Dan

Travis Newbury

Dan wrote:

> But if a page takes a long time to load, perhaps you'll click on a
> field...

If you apply "what if's" or "perhaps this might happen" you can find
fault with anything.

--
-=tn=-

Noozer

"Travis Newbury" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:IW0le.14673$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Dan wrote:
> >
> > But if a page takes a long time to load, perhaps you'll click on a
> > field...

> If you apply "what if's" or "perhaps this might happen" you can find
> fault with anything.

But it's still valid...

IF something can happen HOW will affect performance.

IF a rhinoceros falls from the sky and lands on my Buick how do you think
General Motors decided to deal with this? Simple, they let the car get
crushed. That is the expected and desired result.

Dan

Travis Newbury wrote:
> Dan wrote:
> >
> > But if a page takes a long time to load, perhaps you'll click on a
> > field...

> If you apply "what if's" or "perhaps this might happen" you can find
> fault with anything.

It's not purely speculative; it's actually happened to me many times.

--
Dan

Travis Newbury

Noozer wrote:
>>If you apply "what if's" or "perhaps this might happen" you can find
>>fault with anything.

> But it's still valid...

But valid and likely are to different things

--
-=tn=-

Travis Newbury

Dan wrote:
> Travis Newbury wrote:
>>>But if a page takes a long time to load, perhaps you'll click on a
>>>field...

>>If you apply "what if's" or "perhaps this might happen" you can find
>>fault with anything.

> It's not purely speculative; it's actually happened to me many times.

Statistically anecdotal data is meaningless.

--
-=tn=-

Mark Parnell

Previously in alt.html, Travis Newbury <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
> Mark Parnell wrote:
>>>You are making the assumption that everyone thinks it should not be
>>>there. When I go to a page that requires input I like the focus to be
>>>in the right field so I can just start typing.

>> I hardly think that a search box "requires" input. If that's the first
>> thing they expect every visitor to the site to use, the site structure
>> needs rethinking (unless they are a search engine, of course).

> Well to each their own, I don't think it is a page killer. I guess I am
> just easier going than most around here

I haven't looked at the page in question; I was just questioning whether
it actually fits the situation you were talking about.

Incidentally, I hate it when pages do that - especially on a login page.
Being on dialup at home, I'm often already typing in the password by the
time the page finishes loading, so half my password ends up in the
username field.

--
Mark Parnell
http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

Travis Newbury

Mark Parnell wrote:

> Incidentally, I hate it when pages do that - especially on a login page.
> Being on dialup at home, I'm often already typing in the password by the
> time the page finishes loading, so half my password ends up in the
> username field.

Hotmail does that. And I agree, sometimes it is a pain. Now that I know
it, I press tab then enter my password. Still catches me every now and
then, but I still prefer a page that give focus.

--
-=tn=-