Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Opinions On This Site?

Opinions On This Site?

Travis Newbury

Dan wrote:
>>Fixed width is still the most preferable IMHO.

> A flexible-width site will accommodate these people, as well as those
> who use full-screen browsers. What's wrong with that?

Nothing is "wrong" with that, he stated he "preferred" fixed width.
There is also nothing "wrong" with that either.

>>>- Cursor put in search box automatically on page load, which can
>>> stop me from using search-as-you-type.

>>What a fault! OMG.

> I hate sites that "force" cursor focus like that; sometimes I'm
> starting to type in the address bar or a form field before the site has
> finished loading, and then it's annoying when the cursor suddenly jumps
> somewhere else due to some idiot JavaScript.

So you "prefer" sites that don't do that. Interesting how there are so
many different preferences among web users.

--
-=tn=-

Leif K-Brooks

Travis Newbury wrote:
> Nothing is "wrong" with that, he stated he "preferred" fixed width.
> There is also nothing "wrong" with that either.

If _you_ prefer layouts with a width of 800 pixels, why don't you make
_your_ browser window 800 pixels wide?

Travis Newbury

Leif K-Brooks wrote:
> Travis Newbury wrote:
> > Nothing is "wrong" with that, he stated he "preferred" fixed width.
> > There is also nothing "wrong" with that either.

> If _you_ prefer layouts with a width of 800 pixels, why don't you

make
> _your_ browser window 800 pixels wide?

Because it is my browser and I don't want to.

--
-=tn=-

Leif K-Brooks

Travis Newbury wrote:
> Leif K-Brooks wrote:
>
>> Travis Newbury wrote:
>>
>>> Nothing is "wrong" with that, he stated he "preferred" fixed
>>> width. There is also nothing "wrong" with that either.

>> If _you_ prefer layouts with a width of 800 pixels, why don't you
>> make _your_ browser window 800 pixels wide?

> Because it is my browser and I don't want to.

Then why do you want Web pages to be of a fixed width? Why in the heck
would you want a wider-than-you-actually-want browser window?

Travis Newbury

Leif K-Brooks wrote:
> >> If _you_ prefer layouts with a width of 800 pixels, why don't you
> >> make _your_ browser window 800 pixels wide?

> > Because it is my browser and I don't want to.

> Then why do you want Web pages to be of a fixed width? Why in the

heck
> would you want a wider-than-you-actually-want browser window?

Because I prefer it that way. Just as you (obviously) don't

--
-=tn=-

Leif K-Brooks

Travis Newbury wrote:
> Because I prefer it that way. Just as you (obviously) don't

Mind explaining why you want entirely useless wasted space, or is your
preference entirely irrational?

Travis Newbury

Leif K-Brooks wrote:
> Travis Newbury wrote:
> > Because I prefer it that way. Just as you (obviously) don't

> Mind explaining why you want entirely useless wasted space, or is

your
> preference entirely irrational?

Having multiple windows/appliations open while surfing seems a bit
distracting to me. I like to concentrate on the task at hand.

Even more important is the fact that it is more pleasing to me that
way. It is alright for me to make browsing pleasing to me isn't it?

--
-=tn=-

Els

Travis Newbury wrote:

>> Mind explaining why you want entirely useless wasted space, or is
>> your preference entirely irrational?

> Having multiple windows/appliations open while surfing seems a bit
> distracting to me. I like to concentrate on the task at hand.
>
> Even more important is the fact that it is more pleasing to me that
> way. It is alright for me to make browsing pleasing to me isn't it?

Just a tip: have a user stylesheet with
html,body{max-width:1024px;margin:auto;} - that way you can have a
fixed width look at a flexible design in a maximised window

--
Els http://locusmeus.com/
- Renato Russo -

Travis Newbury

Els wrote:
> > Even more important is the fact that it is more pleasing to me that
> > way. It is alright for me to make browsing pleasing to me isn't

it?
> Just a tip: have a user stylesheet with
> html,body{max-width:1024px;margin:auto;} - that way you can have a
> fixed width look at a flexible design in a maximised window

Good tip for looking at [IMHO crappy] flexible designs.

--
-=tn=-

Els

Travis Newbury wrote:

> Els wrote:
>>> Even more important is the fact that it is more pleasing to me that
>>> way. It is alright for me to make browsing pleasing to me isn't

> it?
>> Just a tip: have a user stylesheet with
>> html,body{max-width:1024px;margin:auto;} - that way you can have a
>> fixed width look at a flexible design in a maximised window

> Good tip for looking at [IMHO crappy] flexible designs.

That's what I meant
(except for the crappy bit :\ )

--
Els http://locusmeus.com/