Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Creating a popup window

Creating a popup window

Pete

Hi, I have searched Google & the newsgroups for how to create a popup window
but can't find exactly what I want. What I want is to create a new popup
window (if this is the correct term) when someone clicks on a hyperlink in
my webpage *****without using Javascript or VBScript etc*****

What I have now is

clicks on <a href="http://news.bbc.co.uk>BBC</a> the browser navigates to
the BBC website. What I would like it to do is popup a new browser window
with BBC website but leave my page underneath and still
visible.</body></html>

Can this be done?

Thank you
Peter

Els

Pete wrote:

> Hi, I have searched Google & the newsgroups for how to create a popup window
> but can't find exactly what I want. What I want is to create a new popup
> window (if this is the correct term) when someone clicks on a hyperlink in
> my webpage *****without using Javascript or VBScript etc*****
>

> What I have now is

> clicks on <a href="http://news.bbc.co.uk>BBC</a> the browser navigates to
> the BBC website. What I would like it to do is popup a new browser window
> with BBC website but leave my page underneath and still
> visible.</body></html>
>
> Can this be done?

You can "pop up" a new window, yes (if the user hasn't changed the
settings on his/her browser to avoid it).
But you can't set the size of that window, it will be the size the
user has set as default window size. That means that for people who
surf full screen, the BBC site will also be full screen, and thus
cover your site. Then, if the user wants to go back to your site,
they'll press the back-button on their keyboard, or click the
back-button of their browser, but it won't work, cause your site is in
another window, invisible to them.

Long story short: don't open up new windows.

--
Els http://locusmeus.com/
- Renato Russo -

Pete

> Long story short: don't open up new windows.

Thank you Els. This type of good practice guidance backed up by an
explanation is useful. I will not pursue this further on my website.
Pete

"Els" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:177yo15izfo0a$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> Pete wrote:
>
>> Hi, I have searched Google & the newsgroups for how to create a popup
>> window
>> but can't find exactly what I want. What I want is to create a new popup
>> window (if this is the correct term) when someone clicks on a hyperlink
>> in
>> my webpage *****without using Javascript or VBScript etc*****
>>

>> What I have now is

>> clicks on <a href="http://news.bbc.co.uk>BBC</a> the browser navigates to
>> the BBC website. What I would like it to do is popup a new browser window
>> with BBC website but leave my page underneath and still
>> visible.</body></html>
>>
>> Can this be done?

> You can "pop up" a new window, yes (if the user hasn't changed the
> settings on his/her browser to avoid it).
> But you can't set the size of that window, it will be the size the
> user has set as default window size. That means that for people who
> surf full screen, the BBC site will also be full screen, and thus
> cover your site. Then, if the user wants to go back to your site,
> they'll press the back-button on their keyboard, or click the
> back-button of their browser, but it won't work, cause your site is in
> another window, invisible to them.
>
> Long story short: don't open up new windows.
>
> --
> Els http://locusmeus.com/
> Sonhos vem. Sonhos vo. O resto imperfeito.
> - Renato Russo -

Travis Newbury

Els wrote:
> But you can't set the size of that window, it will be the size the
> user has set as default window size. That means that for people who
> surf full screen, the BBC site will also be full screen, and thus
> cover your site. Then, if the user wants to go back to your site,
> they'll press the back-button on their keyboard, or click the
> back-button of their browser, but it won't work, cause your site is in
> another window, invisible to them.

And after seeing the back button doesn't work, no one would ever think
of closing the window. Because of course, this is the first time this
has ever happened to them while surfing...

--
-=tn=-

Els

Travis Newbury wrote:

> Els wrote:
>> But you can't set the size of that window, it will be the size the
>> user has set as default window size. That means that for people who
>> surf full screen, the BBC site will also be full screen, and thus
>> cover your site. Then, if the user wants to go back to your site,
>> they'll press the back-button on their keyboard, or click the
>> back-button of their browser, but it won't work, cause your site is in
>> another window, invisible to them.

> And after seeing the back button doesn't work, no one would ever think
> of closing the window. Because of course, this is the first time this
> has ever happened to them while surfing...

Of course they can close the window. It's an annoyance though.
Especially if from the BBC site they navigate elsewhere, and whereever
they go, new windows are openened. After an hour or two of surfing,
there are 20 windows to be closed. Not funny.

--
Els http://locusmeus.com/
- Renato Russo -

Travis Newbury

Els wrote:
>>And after seeing the back button doesn't work, no one would ever think
>>of closing the window. Because of course, this is the first time this
>>has ever happened to them while surfing...

> Of course they can close the window. It's an annoyance though.
> Especially if from the BBC site they navigate elsewhere, and whereever
> they go, new windows are openened. After an hour or two of surfing,
> there are 20 windows to be closed. Not funny.

Don't get me wrong, I do not disagree with you. _Unwanted_ popups (ones
that suddenly appear without being requested) can be annoying, and that
is why someone should use never use them on their site. On the other
hand, linked popups (to me) are much less annoying, and sometimes I
actually prefer them (say the little calendar popup when choosing the
date range at a hotel site, or airline).

Just my opinion

--
-=tn=-

jake

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Pete <(E-Mail Removed)>
writes
>Hi, I have searched Google & the newsgroups for how to create a popup window
>but can't find exactly what I want. What I want is to create a new popup
>window (if this is the correct term) when someone clicks on a hyperlink in
>my webpage *****without using Javascript or VBScript etc*****
>

>What I have now is

>clicks on <a href="http://news.bbc.co.uk>BBC</a> the browser navigates to
>the BBC website. What I would like it to do is popup a new browser window
>with BBC website but leave my page underneath and still
>visible.</body></html>
>
>Can this be done?
>
>Thank you
>Peter

Yes/No (although a better term might be 'spawn a new window').

You'll need to use Javascript though, if you want the spawned window to
differ in size from the user's default, otherwise the new window will
simply sit on top of the original.

Don't forget to put a warning -- something like 'site opens in a new
window' at a suitable place on the page. This will help:
(a) Users of screen-readers/talking-browsers who might miss the audio
queue to tell them a new browser window is opening, and
(b) People who have been using for the Web for less than 5 minutes and
don't realise that such a thing is possible

regards.

--
Jake

Els

Travis Newbury wrote:

> Els wrote:
>>>And after seeing the back button doesn't work, no one would ever think
>>>of closing the window. Because of course, this is the first time this
>>>has ever happened to them while surfing...

>> Of course they can close the window. It's an annoyance though.
>> Especially if from the BBC site they navigate elsewhere, and whereever
>> they go, new windows are openened. After an hour or two of surfing,
>> there are 20 windows to be closed. Not funny.

> Don't get me wrong, I do not disagree with you. _Unwanted_ popups (ones
> that suddenly appear without being requested) can be annoying, and that
> is why someone should use never use them on their site. On the other
> hand, linked popups (to me) are much less annoying, and sometimes I
> actually prefer them (say the little calendar popup when choosing the
> date range at a hotel site, or airline).
>
> Just my opinion

Things like little calender popups are okay imo, but they're
JavaScript dependent. And I too sometimes prefer to have a link open
in a new window, or in a new tab. That's when I right click the link
and choose an option. I hate it when they open new windows without
asking me, while I have a tabbed browser so that I don't need so many
windows open!

--
Els http://locusmeus.com/
- Renato Russo -

Andrew Donaldson

Els wrote:

[author opening new windows]

> Then, if the user wants to go back to your site,
> they'll press the back-button on their keyboard, or click the
> back-button of their browser, but it won't work, cause your site is in
> another window, invisible to them.

I'm not advocating page authors opening new windows in the slightest,
but as a topic of discussion:

Back in about 1996 I used a browser which, when the user chose to open a
link in a new window, caused the new window to inherit the browser
history from the old window. I found this a useful feature because you
could then, if you chose, navigate backwards in the new window while
continuing elsewhere in the original window.

I'm not aware of this feature being implemented in any of the more
common recent browsers. Does anyone here know better, or consider that
it would be valuable?

Arguably, it might help reduce the confusion of users who have windows
opened automatically for them and don't realise, even if it might leave
them with a plethora of windows open at the end of a browsing session.
However, I think that it could be beneficial for "power-users."

Andrew

Andrew Donaldson

Pete wrote:

>>Long story short: don't open up new windows.

> Thank you Els. This type of good practice guidance backed up by an
> explanation is useful. I will not pursue this further on my website.

A lot of the people who can really help out in this group like that kind
of attitude. You'll be able to able to learn a lot here - I did, almost
entirely by lurking, in fact.

(If you snip the bits of the post you're not replying to you'll become
the teachers' pet hereabouts!)

Andrew