Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Site Critique

Site Critique

dorayme

> From: dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)>

>> From: Mark Parnell <(E-Mail Removed)>

>> Previously in alt.html, dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>>
>>> It is now 10.11 am Friday 20th of May 2005 here and my computer clock is
>>> saying as much. I am on dial up. I am on a Mac. I am posting this now.
>>>.... So what gives?

>> ..., and your post says it
>> was sent at 9.11AM, not 10.11. It's because the time zone is set to GMT
>> +11 instead of +10. Not sure whether that's set on your computer, or on
>> your newsserver though.

> I took a look at my Date and Time control panel (OS 9.1) and my extensions.
> It is true that I have Time Synchroniser turned off as its main function
> seemed to be its auto "daylight saving" updates...

No. Its main (and probably only) function is to synchronise one's time with
some outside standard clock. Manually ("set time now" button) or auto (on
some schedule I guess). I made an experiment, set the wrong time and said
"update now" and it magically corrected. Useful to know.

The cause of the whole problem was not this. It was my casual
misunderstanding of an option to do with daylight saving. I had it ticked
when I should not have. In spite of the time appearing correctly on my
machine, this tick was making it appear to others wrong, an algorithm taking
my word that I was on daylight saving and correcting for the rest of the
world. At least this is what I am now thinking after thinking about it and
looking at things on my machine. It is 6.09 PM.

I know: duh!

OK folks, I am confident now I will appear in your time scale. Now I must
work on the planet bit, Sydney on the *same* planet as everyone else. No
wonder Steve Pugh wondered what I was on. I took offence at the time
thinking he meant drugs! But of course, he meant "Which planet?" I feel so
silly now.

dorayme

Toby Inkster

dorayme wrote:

> Do my posts not go via my ISP somehow, and do they not somehow represent
> "correct" time.

Your ISP's news server will only add a Date header if the post doesn't
already have such a header. If your computer sets an incorrect date
header, your ISP's server will not over-ride it.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

Oli Filth

Els wrote:
> Mark Parnell wrote:
>

>>Previously in alt.html, dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>>

>>>It is now 10.11 am Friday 20th of May 2005 here and my computer clock is
>>>saying as much. I am on dial up. I am on a Mac. I am posting this now.
>>>Daylight summer saving ended quite a few weeks back here on the NSW,
>>>Australian coast. So what gives?

>>No idea, but I'm also in NSW (Sydney, actually), and your post says it
>>was sent at 9.11AM, not 10.11. It's because the time zone is set to GMT
>>+11 instead of +10. Not sure whether that's set on your computer, or on
>>your newsserver though.

> And I see your posts as respectively 1.11 and 2.22 here

00:11 here...

--
Oli

Els

Oli Filth wrote:

> Els wrote:
>> Mark Parnell wrote:

>>>No idea, but I'm also in NSW (Sydney, actually), and your post says it
>>>was sent at 9.11AM, not 10.11. It's because the time zone is set to GMT
>>>+11 instead of +10. Not sure whether that's set on your computer, or on
>>>your newsserver though.

>> And I see your posts as respectively 1.11 and 2.22 here
>>

> 00:11 here...

On which date? IOW - are you 10 hours behind, or 14 hours ahead of me?

--
Els http://locusmeus.com/
- Renato Russo -

dorayme

> From: Oli Filth <(E-Mail Removed)>
> 00:11 here...

Oli, I know for a fact that you are a sensible person from previous
exchanges. But this 00:11 bit is a worry. Things are pointing to the
possibility that I have gotten into an intergalctic newsgroup...

I am going to be extra careful now...

dorayme

(it is now 6.21 PM in Sydney)

Oli Filth

Els wrote:
> Oli Filth wrote:

>>>And I see your posts as respectively 1.11 and 2.22 here
>>>

>>00:11 here...

> On which date? IOW - are you 10 hours behind, or 14 hours ahead of me?

Hmm, I just realised that it may well be correct! I'm in the UK, so that's
either 10 or 11 hours behind depending on whether you're in daylight saving
there at the moment. (We're currently in GMT daylight saving.)

Oli Filth

dorayme wrote:
>>From: Oli Filth <(E-Mail Removed)>
>>00:11 here...
>>

> Oli, I know for a fact that you are a sensible person from previous
> exchanges. But this 00:11 bit is a worry. Things are pointing to the
> possibility that I have gotten into an intergalctic newsgroup...
>
> I am going to be extra careful now...
>
> dorayme
>
> (it is now 6.21 PM in Sydney)

Hmm, I just realised that it may well be correct. I'm in the UK, so that's
either 10 or 11 hours behind depending on whether you're in daylight saving
there at the moment. (We're currently in GMT daylight saving.)

--
Oli

dorayme

> From: Oli Filth <(E-Mail Removed)>
>
> dorayme wrote:
>>> From: Oli Filth <(E-Mail Removed)>
>>> 00:11 here...
>>>

>> Oli, I know for a fact that you are a sensible person from previous
>> exchanges. But this 00:11 bit is a worry. Things are pointing to the
>> possibility that I have gotten into an intergalctic newsgroup...
>>
>> I am going to be extra careful now...
>>
>> dorayme
>>
>> (it is now 6.21 PM in Sydney)
>>

> Hmm, I just realised that it may well be correct. I'm in the UK, so that's
> either 10 or 11 hours behind depending on whether you're in daylight saving
> there at the moment. (We're currently in GMT daylight saving.)
>
> --
> Oli

OK.

It is 6.48PM 20th May Sydney and there is no daylight saving on here at
present. That is 18.48 on army time...

dorayme

Site Critique Weyoun the Dancing Borg HTML 8 01-27-2004 03:01 AM
critique template for site murmur HTML 5 10-24-2003 10:14 AM
New site, looking for critique on loading time Tina - AffordableHOST.com HTML 17 10-24-2003 09:28 AM
site critique murmur HTML 6 10-22-2003 04:14 PM
edgesoft.ca site critique please Long HTML 5 10-21-2003 09:18 PM

Advertisments