Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Site Critique

Site Critique

Els

dorayme wrote:

> Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 17:31:06 +1100

> dorayme

Not sure if your PC's clock is off, or some daylightsaving has started
or ended, but your post shows up as one hour old

--
Els http://locusmeus.com/
- Renato Russo -

Leif K-Brooks

> Have a look at the photographers section of
> http://www.niziblianreps.com/
> to see a great looking way of displaying photos.

After waiting about five seconds for the annoying Flash effect which
fades the menu in to finish, and then waiting another three seconds for
the same effect to finish on the "photographers" page, I finally got to
click on one of the photographer's names. I expected a mind-blowing
gallery to pop out. Perhaps it would sense the photo I wanted to see
before I clicked, or make hard copies of the photos materialize before
my eyes. This gallery must be the greatest innovation of all time, I
thought!

And then, it loaded. I saw a bog-standard photo gallery: nine photos
displayed in a grid with no spacing between them.

No offense, but the only special thing I saw on that site was the
artificially-inflated loading times. Hardly usable, and not particularly
beautiful to my eyes.

Lee Marsh

I like the gallery you showed me, but kind of on the same note as what Els
responded to your reply with, with the flash and all I think it might be a
little to0 riddled more shabang than I'm willing to invest in a site im
making for a hobby more than anything. However, I totally agree that the
galleries need to look nice and that's what I'm having the hardest time
doing. Originally I was going to have a feature that allowed people to
custimize their galleries (and that is the main reason my css is so messed
up right now). Do you think that's the sort of thing that people would go
for?
Anyways, I'm taking in everyone's suggestions and I am going to be working
on this for the next couple of hours, so uh, I'll be back later, I guess.

--
<=============>
--Lee

Goodbye, adios, bis bald, see ya later, wiedersehen, and everything in
between
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> >Yea, I'm kind of going for a minimalist approach. I want to keep in

> real
>>simple, you know. I think you're right about the floating text bit

> though...
>
> If you intend on taking a minimal approach, you should go full hog. At
> the
> moment, there isn't anything holding the site together visually.
> Nouthing
> looks polished to the level that people expact of a professional site.
>
> As much as the idea of branding p*sses me off, I think that you should
> site down with an A3 sheet of paper and a black marker ben and work
> out exactly what it is that you want your website to provide to people?
>
> What is the most important thing to them? Their photos! They must take
> centre stage, and the gallery must look amazing, that's where your
> efforts
> should be focused - that's what your users care about.
>
> Yahoo photos and the like all fall down on the fact that they are too
> business-like. I would consider using the service if the gallery was
> attractive.
>
> Have a look at the photographers section of
> http://www.niziblianreps.com/
> to see a great looking way of displaying photos. I think that you need
> be aiming for that kind of boldness.
>
> Ta,
>
> Dan

Stewart Gordon

Lee Marsh wrote:
<snip>
> --Lee
> http://www.inaneasylum.org

A few starting tips:

1. Consider validating.

http://validator.w3.org

2. Give your pages individual titles. Loads of pages with the same
title are difficult to distinguish in the back button history and in
search engines.

3. The box for entering an album password should be of type="password",
not type="text".

4. A few typos:

legal.php
- Two instances of "it's" instead of "its"
- "Users' of Photoshack" -> "Users of Photoshack"

help.php - Add New Photos
- "creat an album" -> "create an album"

help.php - Change A Photos Filename
-> "Change a Photo's Filename"
- "reads' Manage Settings'" -> "reads 'Manage Settings'" (also on some
other pages)
- "names.If" -> "names. If"

I haven't had the time to finish looking....

Stewart.

the 'group where everyone may benefit.

dorayme

> From: Els <(E-Mail Removed)>
ect: Re: Site Critique

> dorayme wrote:
>
>> Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 17:31:06 +1100

>> dorayme

> Not sure if your PC's clock is off, or some daylightsaving has started
> or ended, but your post shows up as one hour old

It is now 10.11 am Friday 20th of May 2005 here and my computer clock is
saying as much. I am on dial up. I am on a Mac. I am posting this now.
Daylight summer saving ended quite a few weeks back here on the NSW,
Australian coast. So what gives?

dorayme

Mark Parnell

Previously in alt.html, dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

> It is now 10.11 am Friday 20th of May 2005 here and my computer clock is
> saying as much. I am on dial up. I am on a Mac. I am posting this now.
> Daylight summer saving ended quite a few weeks back here on the NSW,
> Australian coast. So what gives?

No idea, but I'm also in NSW (Sydney, actually), and your post says it
was sent at 9.11AM, not 10.11. It's because the time zone is set to GMT
+11 instead of +10. Not sure whether that's set on your computer, or on
your newsserver though.

--
Mark Parnell
http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

Els

Mark Parnell wrote:

> Previously in alt.html, dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>
>> It is now 10.11 am Friday 20th of May 2005 here and my computer clock is
>> saying as much. I am on dial up. I am on a Mac. I am posting this now.
>> Daylight summer saving ended quite a few weeks back here on the NSW,
>> Australian coast. So what gives?

> No idea, but I'm also in NSW (Sydney, actually), and your post says it
> was sent at 9.11AM, not 10.11. It's because the time zone is set to GMT
> +11 instead of +10. Not sure whether that's set on your computer, or on
> your newsserver though.

And I see your posts as respectively 1.11 and 2.22 here

--
Els http://locusmeus.com/
- Renato Russo -

dorayme

> From: Mark Parnell <(E-Mail Removed)>

> Previously in alt.html, dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>
>> It is now 10.11 am Friday 20th of May 2005 here and my computer clock is
>> saying as much. I am on dial up. I am on a Mac. I am posting this now.
>> Daylight summer saving ended quite a few weeks back here on the NSW,
>> Australian coast. So what gives?

> No idea, but I'm also in NSW (Sydney, actually), and your post says it
> was sent at 9.11AM, not 10.11. It's because the time zone is set to GMT
> +11 instead of +10. Not sure whether that's set on your computer, or on
> your newsserver though.
>
> --
> Mark Parnell

Hmm... what to do? Hang on a mo...

I took a look at my Date and Time control panel (OS 9.1) and my extensions.
It is true that I have Time Synchroniser turned off as its main function
seemed to be its auto "daylight saving" updates. And it also "synchronises"
the clock with a "network time server". I have always figured I do not need
an auto adjuster for daylight saving and further figured it would need to
somehow, online, go somewhere unknown to me behind my back and do something
to my clock... It is not that I am paranoid so much as not trusting of this
and make do with as few extensions as possible. But here I might have been
over cautious. Perhaps it represents my clock to others somehow more
universally correct. Must read about this stuff...

Do my posts not go via my ISP somehow, and do they not somehow represent
"correct" time. Don't answer this, I am just thinking aloud so as to make
the pleasure of finding out the truth more intense if and when it happens.

I have now turned Time Synchroniser on and *next* time I start the machine
and get on line, maybe the problem will be fixed. I am curious now. What
will happen? Will my OE be informed by this software to check some
international clock and represent my post in some universally understood
manner as a result? Will my clock change in what it says in my menu bar?
Will it animate its way thru Polish, Chinese and Yiddish time
representations?

Thanks to Els and yourself for assisting me in this matter. I want that I
should be in the same time dimension as other people in the world. The same
planet... well, let me not get too ambitious yet...

dorayme

tm

dorayme wrote:

> It is now 10.11 am Friday 20th of May 2005 here and my computer clock is
> saying as much. I am on dial up. I am on a Mac. I am posting this now.
> Daylight summer saving ended quite a few weeks back here on the NSW,
> Australian coast. So what gives?

Looks okay to me. Of course, I'm also on a mac and in the same time
zone and we don't do daylight savings.

Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 10:11:32 +1100
Subject: Re: Site Critique
From: dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)>
Newsgroups: alt.html

Toby Inkster

dorayme wrote:

> And it also "synchronises" the clock with a "network time server". I
> have always figured I do not need an auto adjuster for daylight saving
> and further figured it would need to somehow, online, go somewhere
> unknown to me behind my back and do something to my clock...

All it means is that ever so often your computer will ask a particular
server what the time is, read the result and adjust your computer's clock
accordingly.

Nothing untoward.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

Site Critique Weyoun the Dancing Borg HTML 8 01-27-2004 03:01 AM
critique template for site murmur HTML 5 10-24-2003 10:14 AM
New site, looking for critique on loading time Tina - AffordableHOST.com HTML 17 10-24-2003 09:28 AM
site critique murmur HTML 6 10-22-2003 04:14 PM
edgesoft.ca site critique please Long HTML 5 10-21-2003 09:18 PM

Advertisments