Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Web site critique

Web site critique

Travis Newbury

Neo Geshel wrote:

> The main culprit are the photos themselves. They need to be compressed
> more, except I canít stand the dithering. Damn JPEG. If only Flash could
> properly digest PNG.

Import the pngs into a swf then dynamically load the swf(s) in your
slide show flash. When ever we need quality images (or transparency) we
do this.

--
-=tn=-

Travis Newbury

Neo Geshel wrote:

> The main culprit are the photos themselves. They need to be compressed
> more, except I canít stand the dithering. Damn JPEG. If only Flash could
> properly digest PNG.

Import the pngs into a swf then dynamically load the swf(s) in your
slide show flash. When ever we need quality images (or transparency) we
do this.

--
-=tn=-

dorayme

> From: Ben Measures <(E-Mail Removed)>

> Neo Geshel wrote:
>>
>> The main culprit are the photos themselves. They need to be compressed
>> more, except I canĻt stand the dithering. Damn JPEG.

> There's something seriously wrong with your application if you're
> getting dithering. Dithering is only supposed to be performed when you
> reduce the number of colours in the image (don't do this).

Perhaps you mean different things to each other by "dithering"...

dorayme

Neo Geshel

Travis Newbury wrote:
> Neo Geshel wrote:
>
>> The main culprit are the photos themselves. They need to be compressed
>> more, except I canÔŅĹt stand the dithering. Damn JPEG. If only Flash
>> could properly digest PNG.

> Import the pngs into a swf then dynamically load the swf(s) in your
> slide show flash. When ever we need quality images (or transparency) we
> do this.

Hmmm... three identical posts in under 30 seconds... is Thunderbird
stuttering on you?

...Geshel
My reply-to is an automatically monitored spam honeypot. Do not use it
unless you want to be blacklisted by SpamCop. Please reply to my first
name at my last name dot org.

Neo Geshel

Ben Measures wrote:
> Neo Geshel wrote:
>
>>The main culprit are the photos themselves. They need to be compressed
>>more, except I canÔŅĹt stand the dithering. Damn JPEG.

> There's something seriously wrong with your application if you're
> getting dithering. Dithering is only supposed to be performed when you
> reduce the number of colours in the image (don't do this).
>
>>If only Flash could properly digest PNG.

> Since you're compressing photo-realistic images, you do not want PNG
> unless you want lossless compression (perfect quality over filesize).
>
> TTFN,

Sorry, I meant artifacts, not dithering. I hate artifacts. I hate
lowering the image quality just to get an improvement in file size. I
hate dithering, too, but I haven’t created a GIF in almost two years...

...Geshel
My reply-to is an automatically monitored spam honeypot. Do not use it
unless you want to be blacklisted by SpamCop. Please reply to my first
name at my last name dot org.

Ben Measures

Neo Geshel wrote:

> Sorry, I meant artifacts, not dithering. I hate artifacts. I hate
> lowering the image quality just to get an improvement in file size. I
> hate dithering, too, but I havenít created a GIF in almost two years...

Sometimes, if I need a JPEG to be a certain filesize but can't stand the
quality, a light blurring before saving works wonders (it's certainly
much better than the alternative). Try it, you may be pleased with the
results.

Hth,
--
Ben M.