Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Create a scrollable DIV in webpage?

Create a scrollable DIV in webpage?

Noozer

Is it possible to create an area in a webpage that will scroll if the
content does not fit, similar to what you'd get with an IFRAME?

I have dynamically generated data on a webpage. I want to ensure that the
page is not too long, even if there is a large amount of output. Scrolling
through the output would be acceptable as long as the rest of the page
stayed visible.

Suggestions?

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Noozer wrote:
> Is it possible to create an area in a webpage that will scroll if
> the content does not fit, similar to what you'd get with an IFRAME?

Frames bad. Scrolling area bad, too.

> I have dynamically generated data on a webpage. I want to ensure
> that the page is not too long, even if there is a large amount of
> output. Scrolling through the output would be acceptable as long as
> the rest of the page stayed visible.

What in your page is more important than the content? Why do you want
to force me to use my mouse cursor to click and drag on your
scrollbar, rather than my mouse wheel to scroll the whole page?

> Suggestions?

Reluctantly:

--
-bts
-This space intentionally left blank.

Noozer

news:JLNhe.33208$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Noozer wrote:
> > Is it possible to create an area in a webpage that will scroll if
> > the content does not fit, similar to what you'd get with an IFRAME?

> Frames bad. Scrolling area bad, too.

> What in your page is more important than the content? Why do you want
> to force me to use my mouse cursor to click and drag on your
> scrollbar, rather than my mouse wheel to scroll the whole page?

The results are a list of items that could reach 100+ lines. Normally only
the first few lines are important but occasionally the items near the end of
the list are what is important.

> Reluctantly:

Thanks... That's what I though. It ended up being a typo in my CSS. I
thought I was losing my mind.

dorayme

> From: "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>
> Noozer wrote:
>> Is it possible to create an area in a webpage that will scroll if
>> the content does not fit, similar to what you'd get with an IFRAME?

> Frames bad. Scrolling area bad, too.
>
>> I have dynamically generated data on a webpage. I want to ensure
>> that the page is not too long, even if there is a large amount of
>> output. Scrolling through the output would be acceptable as long as
>> the rest of the page stayed visible.

> What in your page is more important than the content? Why do you want
> to force me to use my mouse cursor to click and drag on your
> scrollbar, rather than my mouse wheel to scroll the whole page?
>
>> Suggestions?

> Reluctantly:

(This goes into my scrapbook under "nice posts" Mr or Ms Beauregard T.
Shagnasty...)

Perhaps it might have added the words "or page down key" after "rather than
my mouse wheel"

However, if these scrolly codes were well supported, the result has
attractive features. As the OP says: it is sometimes nice not to have pages
too long. It is especially so if the stuff to be scrolled is easily
avoidable or likely to be rarely read in full whatever the formatting...

dorayme

Position fixed and scrollable DIV Marcus HTML 0 10-06-2008 10:11 AM
print scrollable div Dan Javascript 3 04-15-2008 03:53 PM
Scrollable DIV David uk HTML 2 05-16-2007 04:43 AM
element position inside scrollable div tag unixfreak compiler Javascript 0 02-17-2006 02:25 PM
Setting Scrollable position for div tag Muralidhar Javascript 0 09-01-2003 11:56 AM

Advertisments