Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Paragraph tags different in Mozilla

Paragraph tags different in Mozilla

Mark Parnell

Previously in alt.html, tshad <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

> So you program for Netscape 1 or 2 or 3 and IE 2 or 3 and all the Javascript
> and Jscript differences?

<nitpick>HTML isn't programming</nitpick>

Not specifically, no. But my web sites do still work in those browsers
(and yes I've checked). It may not look the same, but it still works and
the content is accessible. That's the important thing.

> I guess not. Possible is defined as reasonable, in my perception (obviously
> not yours)

No, we just have different definitions of reasonable. Or more to the
point, you have other aims (i.e. making it identical to a paper version)
that conflict with making it readable to everyone.

> As I mentioned above, trying to get every possible Browser (and versions),
> scripts (and versions) - would be difficult. Even trying to get it right
> for all the variations between just the current Browsers with the different
> Doctypes (strict, Transitional, loose etc). When, as people have pointed
> here, browsers tend to follow some standards but not others, etc.

Yes, browsers differ, they have bugs, etc. Obviously no one is disputing
that. But the reason it affects you *so* much is because you want it to
be identical down to the last pixel in every possible environment. With
HTML, that is never going to happen. You need to let go, and accept that
as long as it looks OK in all browsers, it doesn't matter if they differ
slightly.

> I agree. But that doesn't mean you have to toss it out altogether.

Absolutely not. You can still use the same basic layout/design, you just
can't expect it to be pixel perfect.

> If you don't have the interactive version of adobe, as most people don't (at
> least not that I know of), how do you do interactive forms in PDF?

You don't; that's what I'm saying. If you want interactivity, then HTML
is the way to go. But you can't then expect it to look identical to the
paper version.

--
Mark Parnell
http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

kchayka

tshad wrote:
> "kchayka" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Regardless, a web version of a paper form does not have to look identical
>>to the original.

> It does, if the client wants it that way.

And if the client were fluent in web authoring, he'd probably be
developing the site himself. Where web design is concerned, the client
isn't always right.

It is your responsibility as a "subject matter expert" to educate him on
which of his ideas are good and doable, and which are not so good.
Trying to implement his whims without question will only result in a
reduced quality product and a lot of frustration, which is apparently
what you have now.

If you put it in a respectful way, clients *will* listen. Assuming they
aren't pig-headed dolts, anyway.

kchayka

Mark Parnell wrote:

> What kchayka *is* saying is that trying to
> impose the limits of one medium (paper) onto another completely
> different medium (the web) is doomed to failure.

Indeed. I wasn't suggesting PDF forms be used instead of HTML, just that
PDF is better suited to maintaining an exact layout. It simply cannot be
done reliably in HTML.

Toby Inkster

tshad wrote:

> So you program for Netscape 1 or 2 or 3 and IE 2 or 3 and all the Javascript
> and Jscript differences?

Last time I checked, my website was usable in Netscape 1 and IE 2.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

tshad

"Toby Inkster" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed) .uk...
> tshad wrote:
>
>> So you program for Netscape 1 or 2 or 3 and IE 2 or 3 and all the
>> Javascript
>> and Jscript differences?

> Last time I checked, my website was usable in Netscape 1 and IE 2.

Thats fine.

But there are things you cannot do in Netscape 1 and IE 2. Otherwise, you
wouldn't have sites tell you that you need to use this version or that
version or later.

> --
> Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

tshad wrote:
> But there are things you cannot do in Netscape 1 and IE 2.
> Otherwise, you wouldn't have sites tell you that you need to use
> this version or that version or later.

Author needs training.

No one should expect a good-looking site (in a modern browser) to
appear the same in an ancient browser. The trick is knowing how to
structure the site so the *content* is still available in those old ones.

--
-bts
-This space intentionally left blank.