Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > putting video on a website

putting video on a website

the idiot

someone ive just finished a website for is now asking if it is possible to
put some excerpts/trailers of his films on it.... i have never done this
before.

what software would i need to compress the files with
and what are the basic rules / standards i should follow.

thank you very much.

Mark Parnell

Previously in alt.html, the idiot <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

> what software would i need to compress the files with

There are any number of programs around. Take your pick. I'd recommend
making it available in several common formats, e.g. Windows Media
Player, RealPlayer, QuickTime...

> and what are the basic rules / standards i should follow.

http://www.spartanicus.utvinternet.i...htm#audiovideo is a good
start.

--
Mark Parnell
http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

the idiot

"Mark Parnell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om.au...
> Previously in alt.html, the idiot <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>
> > what software would i need to compress the files with

> There are any number of programs around. Take your pick. I'd recommend
> making it available in several common formats, e.g. Windows Media
> Player, RealPlayer, QuickTime...
>
> > and what are the basic rules / standards i should follow.

> http://www.spartanicus.utvinternet.i...htm#audiovideo is a good
> start.

cheers sir.

Travis Newbury

the idiot wrote:
> someone ive just finished a website for is now asking if it is possible to
> put some excerpts/trailers of his films on it.... i have never done this
> before.
> what software would i need to compress the files with
> and what are the basic rules / standards i should follow.
> thank you very much.

If they want the video to be a part of the website, then google "embed
video html" you will be rewarded with a ton of sample code. However,
this method, while looking the best, is not usable by all. so you
should also include a link to the media file that the person can download.

--
-=tn=-

the idiot

"Travis Newbury" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:2Ejge.3610$(E-Mail Removed)...
> the idiot wrote:
> > someone ive just finished a website for is now asking if it is possible

> > put some excerpts/trailers of his films on it.... i have never done this
> > before.
> > what software would i need to compress the files with
> > and what are the basic rules / standards i should follow.
> > thank you very much.

> If they want the video to be a part of the website, then google "embed
> video html" you will be rewarded with a ton of sample code. However,
> this method, while looking the best, is not usable by all. so you
> should also include a link to the media file that the person can download.

having the choice is a good idea - i will do that.

still unsure as to what is the best software though - mainly because i am a
computer illiterate and dont understand jargon..

Blinky the Shark

the idiot wrote:

> still unsure as to what is the best software though - mainly because i am a
> computer illiterate and dont understand jargon..

When you encounter some, look it up.

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

the idiot

news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> the idiot wrote:
>
> > still unsure as to what is the best software though - mainly because i

am a
> > computer illiterate and dont understand jargon..

> When you encounter some, look it up.

ive tried that trick before and ended up being even more confused

SpaceGirl

the idiot wrote:
> someone ive just finished a website for is now asking if it is possible to
> put some excerpts/trailers of his films on it.... i have never done this
> before.
>
> what software would i need to compress the files with
> and what are the basic rules / standards i should follow.
>
> thank you very much.

The very best way is via Flash. You get MUCH smaller cleaner video in
the Flash 7 player than any of the other formats mentione in this
thread, and it's MUCH easier to do as well. The Flash player supports
the Sorenson video format which is DV (MPEG) quality. Fire up a copy of
Flash MX 2004 pro and you can do all this stuff drag-and drop. You have
to worry a lot less about what player they have/what can be embeded etc
etc as the Flash plugin (which most people have) already does - and if
they dont have it, it just takes a few minutes to install (it's tiny).

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

the idiot

"SpaceGirl" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> the idiot wrote:
> > someone ive just finished a website for is now asking if it is possible

> > put some excerpts/trailers of his films on it.... i have never done this
> > before.
> >
> > what software would i need to compress the files with
> > and what are the basic rules / standards i should follow.
> >
> > thank you very much.
> >

> The very best way is via Flash. You get MUCH smaller cleaner video in
> the Flash 7 player than any of the other formats mentione in this
> thread, and it's MUCH easier to do as well. The Flash player supports
> the Sorenson video format which is DV (MPEG) quality. Fire up a copy of
> Flash MX 2004 pro and you can do all this stuff drag-and drop. You have
> to worry a lot less about what player they have/what can be embeded etc
> etc as the Flash plugin (which most people have) already does - and if
> they dont have it, it just takes a few minutes to install (it's tiny).
>
> --

thankyou i shall look into this as well. crumbs, my head will be hurting by
the end of the week.