Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > HTML Links site

Reply
Thread Tools

HTML Links site

 
 
noSpAm0000
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-01-2005
I made a site for some friends who asked me how to make websites. It
started turning into a longer list. Does anyone have any suggestions for
other sites I could add? It's just a quickly-typed list but I'm going to
redo it with a CMS of some kind and get a real domain name for it. I
realize that there already hundreds of sites that do this, but this is my
version, personalized for people that I know (and anyone else who might be
interested).

The site is at:
http://s94621231.onlinehome.us

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Blinky the Shark
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-01-2005
noSpAm0000 wrote:

> I made a site for some friends who asked me how to make websites. It
> started turning into a longer list. Does anyone have any suggestions for


I guess it *did*.

Very nice.

I'd like to link to it, when you get it settled in; if you're not going
to annc the new domain here, would you pop me an email at
use987 (att) blinkynet (dott) net?

> other sites I could add? It's just a quickly-typed list but I'm going to


How 'bout http://www.stunicholls.myby.co.uk/index.html

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
Killing all Usenet posts from Google Groups
Info: http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
noSpAm0000
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-01-2005
On Sun, 01 May 2005 05:02:54 +0000, Blinky the Shark wrote:

> noSpAm0000 wrote:
>
>> I made a site for some friends who asked me how to make websites. It
>> started turning into a longer list. Does anyone have any suggestions for

>
> I guess it *did*.
>
> Very nice.
>
> I'd like to link to it, when you get it settled in; if you're not going
> to annc the new domain here, would you pop me an email at
> use987 (att) blinkynet (dott) net?
>
>> other sites I could add? It's just a quickly-typed list but I'm going to

>
> How 'bout http://www.stunicholls.myby.co.uk/index.html


Thanks for the link to that site. I added it. I'm just reading through
your site now. I added a link to your page with Usenet info on it. I'm
debating whether to redo my site in Mambo or something like Drupal. I
still can't think of a domain name.

Specifically, why are you against Google Groups? It's a crappy piece of
software filled with bugs but what is the difference between that and a
newsreader (besides Google spying on people). I've never heard the
arguements against it and I am curious.

Thanks

 
Reply With Quote
 
David Dorward
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-01-2005
noSpAm0000 wrote:

> Specifically, why are you against Google Groups? It's a crappy piece of
> software filled with bugs but what is the difference between that and a
> newsreader (besides Google spying on people). I've never heard the
> arguements against it and I am curious.


There are *lots* of hit and run spammers using throw-away GG accounts - and
Google never follow up complaints about them.

--
David Dorward <http://blog.dorward.me.uk/> <http://dorward.me.uk/>
Home is where the ~/.bashrc is
 
Reply With Quote
 
Blinky the Shark
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-01-2005
noSpAm0000 wrote:

> On Sun, 01 May 2005 05:02:54 +0000, Blinky the Shark wrote:


>> noSpAm0000 wrote:


>>> I made a site for some friends who asked me how to make websites.
>>> It started turning into a longer list. Does anyone have any
>>> suggestions for


>> I guess it *did*.


>> Very nice.


>> I'd like to link to it, when you get it settled in; if you're not
>> going to annc the new domain here, would you pop me an email at
>> use987 (att) blinkynet (dott) net?


>>> other sites I could add? It's just a quickly-typed list but I'm
>>> going to


>> How 'bout http://www.stunicholls.myby.co.uk/index.html


> Thanks for the link to that site. I added it. I'm just reading
> through your site now. I added a link to your page with Usenet info
> on it. I'm debating whether to redo my site in Mambo or something
> like Drupal. I still can't think of a domain name.


> Specifically, why are you against Google Groups? It's a crappy piece
> of software filled with bugs but what is the difference between that
> and a newsreader (besides Google spying on people). I've never heard
> the arguements against it and I am curious.


I note that David D. has already responded to that question, too, from
another perspective. I don't see the spam myself, because my feed has
good filtering, so thanks, David, for that contribution.

My own opinions...

<rant>

Usenet doesn't need to be webified, and many of the users that post to
it via GoogleGroups (and other web-based gateways, but more on that in a
moment) know nothing about using it: quoting, snipping, attributing,
etc. Or even what the hell it *is*. And these unnecessary clunky
gateways don't help at all -- particularly the ones that try to take
credit for them by making Usenet groups look like their own onsite
resources. (Tech Note: It's fixed now, but for a while GG was even
screwing up the References headers; if GG doesn't know how *they* work,
they have no business writing an interface.)

GG is just the most visible example. They all suck.

Here's my boilerplate for web-gateway-posted Usenet posts:

<paste>

USENET THEFT

You can probably access this public Usenet newsgroup directly with some
fine news client like slrn or pan or knode or others [1], rather than
some clunky web interface, unless, say, you're at firewalled at work and
IT hasn't favorably responded to your request for Usenet (NNTP)
capability. Do *yourself* a favor: check out your options and take
control of your own Usenet experience.

[1]Even with a piece of crap you already have, like Outlook Express,
which, as bad as it is, still beats web interfaces for this activity
that wasn't meant for webification.

</paste>

I'm pretty tool-oriented, so I similarly don't pound nails with a band
saw or tighten bolts with a bread knife; and frankly don't respect the
skills of those who do and don't wish to share a workshop with them.

</rant>

I don't contribute much on-topic stuff in here and a.w.w, because I'm a
novice and I'm here to learn from the gurus. Being no wizard, my
on-topic contributions are pretty much limited to the occasional
page-check in a browser that a poster doesn't have installed. But I do
know Usenet, know what a resource it is, respect it, know how it works,
know how it can be fuxored by kooks and idjits and the "ill do what i
want an u cant stop me bwahahaha lol" crowd -- so please excuse the short
rant on something else that I was asked about that I do understand.

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
Killing all Usenet posts from Google Groups
Info: http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html
 
Reply With Quote
 
noSpAm0000
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-01-2005
On Sun, 01 May 2005 22:46:31 +0000, Blinky the Shark wrote:
> know how it can be fuxored by kooks and idjits and the "ill do what i
> want an u cant stop me bwahahaha lol" crowd -- so please excuse the short
> rant on something else that I was asked about that I do understand.


Ok... you convinced me. I am taking off my reference to GoogleGroups from
my site I'll just leave my "Thunderbird" link there...

 
Reply With Quote
 
Blinky the Shark
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-01-2005
noSpAm0000 wrote:

> On Sun, 01 May 2005 22:46:31 +0000, Blinky the Shark wrote:


>> know how it can be fuxored by kooks and idjits and the "ill do what i
>> want an u cant stop me bwahahaha lol" crowd -- so please excuse the
>> short rant on something else that I was asked about that I do
>> understand.


> Ok... you convinced me. I am taking off my reference to GoogleGroups
> from my site I'll just leave my "Thunderbird" link there...


Damn...I'm good.

(Seriously, I expected two things {which will probably still come}:
apologists for the web interfaces, and a certain real-name zealot's
attempted sting about the use of nicks instead of real (sounding) names
on Usenet, which will fall on the deaf ears of this responsibly-posting
Usenet user.)

PS I'd forgot that you had that GG pitch, there, although I did notice
it, now that you've reminded me.

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
Killing all Usenet posts from Google Groups
Info: http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html
 
Reply With Quote
 
noSpAm0000
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-02-2005
On Sun, 01 May 2005 23:42:09 +0000, Blinky the Shark wrote:
> (Seriously, I expected two things {which will probably still come}:
> apologists for the web interfaces, and a certain real-name zealot's
> attempted sting about the use of nicks instead of real (sounding) names
> on Usenet, which will fall on the deaf ears of this responsibly-posting
> Usenet user.)
>
> PS I'd forgot that you had that GG pitch, there, although I did notice
> it, now that you've reminded me.


My general theme of the page is to help friends get started on web
design -- and letting them know that everything can be free. When I
started learning HTML I thought that I would need to buy all kinds of
software like Photoshop and Macromedia, a FTP program, and XP pro for
ASP.NET. Luckily I found out about free software, Apache, PHP/MySQL,
Filezilla, HTML kit, etc. Google Groups is junk (bugs and spying) but I
figured it was a free way for people to get started. I tried free
newsgroup access a couple of times and it wasn't very reliable so now I
pay $4/month for it. I won't recommend Google Groups anymore though.

J.
------------------------------
http://s94621231.onlinehome.us
 
Reply With Quote
 
Blinky the Shark
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-02-2005
noSpAm0000 wrote:

> My general theme of the page is to help friends get started on web
> design -- and letting them know that everything can be free. When I


Yes, I like your mission.

My main group used to be alt.comp.freeware, for much the same reasons.

I still have a few legacy bits of Win freeware at Blinkynet; that was
one of my reasons for creating its first incarnation.

> started learning HTML I thought that I would need to buy all kinds of
> software like Photoshop and Macromedia, a FTP program, and XP pro for
> ASP.NET. Luckily I found out about free software, Apache, PHP/MySQL,
> Filezilla, HTML kit, etc. Google Groups is junk (bugs and spying) but I


I was pleased to see that you covered The GIMP, too.

> figured it was a free way for people to get started. I tried free
> newsgroup access a couple of times and it wasn't very reliable so now I
> pay $4/month for it. I won't recommend Google Groups anymore though.


If you don't need bins and that one ever goes tits up, consider
news.individual.net. $13US a year, very reliable, good spam filtering.

Hey, why not replace the GG info with that one? There are other users
of it, here, if you want a second or third opinion. (They were free until
April 1st, ack Shirley.)

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
Killing all Usenet posts from Google Groups
Info: http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html
 
Reply With Quote
 
Toby Inkster
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-02-2005
Blinky the Shark wrote:

> a certain real-name zealot's attempted sting about the use of nicks
> instead of real (sounding) names on Usenet, which will fall on the deaf
> ears of this responsibly-posting Usenet user.


I don't see why you're bothered Blinky. You post using your real name,
right?

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
Contact Me ~ http://tobyinkster.co.uk/contact

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Melhor Site de Downloads [ BIG SITE AND LINKS FASTED] TidyTrax@2 Python 0 10-12-2007 07:56 PM
Melhor Site de Downloads [ BIG SITE AND LINKS FASTED] TidyTrax@2 Python 0 10-12-2007 04:28 PM
Melhor Site de Downloads [ BIG SITE AND LINKS FASTED] TidyTrax@2 Python 0 10-12-2007 04:28 PM
Site Links and Physical WAN Links =?Utf-8?B?RW5mb1BhdWw=?= MCSE 2 03-22-2005 09:23 AM
Opening all links of a html page and saving the html pages java_seek Java 4 12-10-2004 04:33 PM



Advertisments