Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Marquee question

Marquee question

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

....D. wrote:

> ... What is needed then is browsers that can anti-anything that you
> don't want to see - Anti-flash, anti-scrolling text, anti-animated
> anything, anti-webmaster color selection...

I already have one of those ... it's called Firefox! <g>

http://prefbar.mozdev.org/
Picture, in use:
http://home.rochester.rr.com/bshagna...es/prefbar.png

--
-bts
-This space intentionally left blank.

...D.

On Sun, 01 May 2005 08:52:11 -0500, kchayka <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>...D. wrote:
>>
>> Larry, you've been answered by one of the members
>> of the unofficial league of judgmental holier-than-thou peanut gallery

>I won't deny that Jukka's attitude can be annoying (and maybe
>counterproductive), but he ain't in the peanut gallery, for sure.
>
>Very few people are his equals where it comes to knowledge of web
>authoring. Try reading some of his articles, the URL is in his sig. You
>might learn something, assuming you actually want to. Feel free to stay
>ignorant if that's what you prefer, though.

I know already most of the "rules" layed down in this forum without
looking. No frames. No animated GIFs. Stick with the standard white pages.
etc..

I am curious though, as to what the opinion on the invasion of flash
websites sites...

...D.

Blinky the Shark

D wrote:

> I agree with you about pop-ups being annoying. That's why thankfully
> anti-popups are so common. What is needed then is browsers that can
> anti-anything that you don't want to see - Anti-flash, anti-scrolling
> text, anti-animated anything, anti-webmaster color selection...

Those are things that a proxy like Proxomitron can do.

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

Travis Newbury

....D. wrote:

> I am curious though, as to what the opinion on the invasion of flash
> websites sites...

Everyone here hates flash websites. Pity though because most don't have
a clue about flash
they just parrot what they have heard from others that don't have a clue.
--
-=tn=-

Steve Pugh

Travis Newbury <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>...D. wrote:
>
>> I am curious though, as to what the opinion on the invasion of flash
>> websites sites...

>Everyone here hates flash websites.

Everyone? Every single person? Including yourself?

--
"Grab reality by the balls and squeeze." - Tempus Thales

Travis Newbury

Steve Pugh wrote:
>>Everyone here hates flash websites.

> Everyone? Every single person? Including yourself?

Yea Steve everyone

--
-=tn=-

Kim André Akerĝ

"Travis Newbury" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i melding
news:qLcde.7894$(E-Mail Removed)...
> ...D. wrote:
>
> > I am curious though, as to what the opinion on the invasion of flash
> > websites sites...

> Everyone here hates flash websites. Pity though because most don't have
> a clue about flash
> they just parrot what they have heard from others that don't have a

clue.

Flash animations? Sure, if done properly and if it serves a proper purpose
that can't be done using regular HTML (and I'm not talking about
JavaScripts), such as cartoons, movies (NOT including "intro" movies),
presentations and games.

Entire Flash websites and/or Flash logos/navigation? Not good at all. That's
like playing out every buzzword you can think of in a conversation just to
appear "cool". Only that you don't. Instead you might end up looking
desperate and being annoying to others. At the very least these websites
should provide an alternative to those who don't use Flash (either disabled
or not installed at all), but too many *require* Flash installed and enabled
to let people visit their websites, and I will rather choose a different
website (and company) before enabling Flash just for a quick visit.

Flash banner ads? Also bad. I surf using Opera with plugins and Java applets
disabled, and I'm seeing quite a lot of blank spaces where ads might've
been. I only enable those options when I need them (such as launching a Java
application, watching an animation or playing a game).

Even worse, there are way too many inexperienced "webdesigners" who use Java
applets for navigation, just because they've figured out they kinda look
cool, and because the option is available in their WYSIWYG website creator.

--
Kim André Akerĝ
- http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

Kim André Akerĝ

"...D." <d@no_usenet_email..org> skrev i melding
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Kim André Akerĝ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> [snip]
>
> >Just as the all-too-annoying <blink> tag was "implemented" into HTML by
> >Netscape way back when (and it still isn't part of the official HTML
> >specifications yet).
> >
> >Frankly, these two proprietary tags don't have a place in the world of

HTML.

> In your opinion of course. You are saying never ever no-way nada zippo do
> they have a usage.

Usage, sure. But not useful, only annoyance, at least in the way I see it.

> >> I've used it, but not wanting to repeat the message to visitors, I've
> >> inserted a million empty space code sequences. That marquee you linked

> >> is not repeating the same message - it's a long continuous message with
> >> different cells of messages, with a bunch of periods after each.

> >Question is: Why do you want to subject your visitors to that? Me, I turn
> >away quickly from pages that employ visible marquees, whether done by

"HTML"
> >or by means of JavaScripts.

> Gee. "Subject users to it". Like it is torture. I don't think so when used
> in the right place and not overused.. Let's say, oh, a family members
> page - a simple 4 second delayed scrolling "hello guys" (that does not
> repeat) has no place. I know some real estate sites use the marquee to
> make a point.

Yes, I consider it torture, which is why I said just that.

> [snip]
>
> I agree with you about pop-ups being annoying. That's why thankfully
> anti-popups are so common. What is needed then is browsers that can
> anti-anything that you don't want to see - Anti-flash, anti-scrolling
> text, anti-animated anything, anti-webmaster color selection...

Now you're taking it a bit off the deep end of the pool. I do, however,
prefer to surf with Java and plugins (such as Flash) disabled in Opera. And
if I wanted to, I could even disable GIF animation.

Also, Opera lets me enter "User mode" (as opposed to "Author mode"), where I
can choose the way I want to see the pages. I don't know if Firefox has a
similar function, but it wouldn't surprise me if it does (even if it
requires installing a seperate toolbar for the job).

> I can go further wityh the pop-ups - any advertising is annoying, even
> fixed on a page - whatever - any unrelated sponsor based advertising has
> no place on the Internet. Annoying.

Sponsors are crucial to the survival of most non-commercial websites (ie.
not directly selling products and services). Although many banner ads are
quite annoying, I'm not saying that we should block them out entirely.

> What about even one little teeny animated GIF on one stinking page - no
> place, ever?

I never said that we should block out anything non-static, but use where
absolutely needed, don't use it because it's "cool" or because "everyone
else does".

> And there is flash. Any site that has flash content has no place?.But of
> course not only is there flash animation, but menus and everything are
> done in flash too now. Microsoft, Yahoo, news pages that display a small
> animated window - all wrong?

Flash content, yes. But not when requiring your visitor to install or enable
the use of Flash just to browse the website. Flash menus, navigation and
logos are hardly necessary when creating a website. An animated logo might
be considered "cool" by the company that owns it, but many visitors to their
websites don't always see it that way.

> If you check craiglist, say the popular ones - the San Francisco Bay area,
> or New York, or Los Angleles - look in the computer "gigs" section where
> people ask for websites to be made - seems flash is a very popular request
> nowadays.

Yes, probably by either clueless users or people who've heard about Flash,
mainly used as a buzzword. "It's the latest thing, so we MUST have it!" I've
heard that story way too many times.

I'm receiving a daily mailing list with possible projects to bid on, and I
also see way too many people looking to create a clone of an existing
website. Those existing websites are successful, and so others are trying to
copy their success by making a copy of those websites, thinking they'll make
money instantly.

--

Kim André Akerĝ wrote:

> Flash animations?...

No need to argue, to each his/her own.

--
-=tn=-

humbads

> Everyone here hates flash websites. Pity though because most don't
havea clue about flash they just parrot what they have heard from
others that don't have a clue

It's not a sin to use flash and marquee, but it it is a sin to waste
your reader's time. The question you should ask yourself is, does my
reader have to wait unnecessarily to get to critical information
because of the effects that I have added? Time is money.

Go to http://www.tacobell.com/ and try to find their menu. If you go
via the most prominent pathway, you'll be obstructed by a huge, nasty
flash animation. This wastes the time of the reader, who is looking
for information as fast as possible. It is equivalent to requiring
special goggles to view the menu at the restaurant.

Almost without exception, those who use flash or marquee use it in this
sophomoric way, and that is why it is almost universally derided here.
At least that's my take on it.

CS2 rectangular marquee tool question kombi45@yahoo.com Digital Photography 7 09-18-2006 05:08 PM
Marquee from database =?Utf-8?B?QWxp?= ASP .Net 1 04-06-2005 11:14 AM
Marquee with a dataset? et ASP .Net 1 10-17-2004 04:11 PM
marquee question R. Hamm HTML 6 11-19-2003 06:21 PM
Marquee script question Jo_Calico Javascript 2 09-01-2003 12:05 AM

Advertisments