Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Using 'table values' with non-table elements display-property

Using 'table values' with non-table elements display-property

Jam Pa

Is it good CSS practice to use 'table layout values' such as 'inline-
table' with a non-table elements 'display' property?

For example (css follows)

p {
display: inline-table;
}

/** or maybe */

div {
display: table;
}

(end)

After all, neither p or div tags are table. It does seem to work with IE
and firefox somewhat well.

Anyone have any comments?

Spartanicus

Jam Pa <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Is it good CSS practice to use 'table layout values' such as 'inline-
>table' with a non-table elements 'display' property?

Not a problem.

>After all, neither p or div tags are table.

Irrelevant, css does not affect semantics and/or structure.

> It does seem to work with IE
>and firefox somewhat well.

You must have been dreaming, IE does not support any of the css table
values, Mozilla does not support inline-table.

--
Spartanicus

Toby Inkster

Jam Pa wrote:

> Is it good CSS practice to use 'table layout values' such as 'inline-
> table' with a non-table elements 'display' property?

Sure, but it will only have any effect in Opera 7+ (or perhaps 6+? maybe
even 5+?)

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

Spartanicus

Toby Inkster <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> Is it good CSS practice to use 'table layout values' such as 'inline-
>> table' with a non-table elements 'display' property?

>Sure, but it will only have any effect in Opera 7+ (or perhaps 6+? maybe
>even 5+?)

Opera has supported inline-table since v5

KHTML browsers also support inline-table IIRC.

--
Spartanicus