Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > html code for 3/8ths ?

html code for 3/8ths ?

T.J.

Hi.
What is the HTML code for 3/8ths using
charset=iso-8859-1?
I have tried ⅜ but no joy.
TIA.

T.J.

"T.J." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:d4oas5$t98$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi.
> What is the HTML code for 3/8ths using
> charset=iso-8859-1?
> I have tried &frac38; but no joy.
> TIA.

Sorry all,
I think I have found it, ⅜
is this a safe code though?

Oli Filth

T.J. wrote:
> Hi.
> What is the HTML code for 3/8ths using
> charset=iso-8859-1?
> I have tried &frac38; but no joy.

&#x215c;

There's an easy way of doing this assuming you have Microsoft Word. Go
to Insert->Symbol, find the symbol you want and at the bottom the
Unicode hex value will be displayed.

I'm sure other word processors have a similar ability.

--
Oli

T.J.

"Oli Filth" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ZhObe.8384$(E-Mail Removed)...
> T.J. wrote:
>> Hi.
>> What is the HTML code for 3/8ths using
>> charset=iso-8859-1?
>> I have tried &frac38; but no joy.

> &#x215c;
>
> There's an easy way of doing this assuming you have Microsoft Word. Go to
> Insert->Symbol, find the symbol you want and at the bottom the Unicode hex
> value will be displayed.
>
> I'm sure other word processors have a similar ability.
>

> --
> Oli

Thanks for the reply,
I also found another code just after posting, but are not sure
whether it is a safe code (will work on everyone's system)
Will the code you gave work on all browsers and systems?
Again, many thanks.

Jukka K. Korpela

"T.J." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I think I have found it, ⅜

Yes.

> is this a safe code though?

No. Although most fonts seem to contain it, see
http://www.cs.tut.fi/cgi-bin/run/~jk....cgi?code=215C
the glyphs aren't very readable. In Arial Unicode MS, it's OK, but in
most other fonts the digits are too small.

It's better to use just 3/8. See also:
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/math/#fractions

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

T.J.

"Jukka K. Korpela" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns9645F2ED7A150jkorpelacstutfi@193.229.0.31. ..
> "T.J." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I think I have found it, ⅜

> Yes.
>
>> is this a safe code though?

> No. Although most fonts seem to contain it, see
> http://www.cs.tut.fi/cgi-bin/run/~jk....cgi?code=215C
> the glyphs aren't very readable. In Arial Unicode MS, it's OK, but in
> most other fonts the digits are too small.
>
> It's better to use just 3/8. See also:
> http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/math/#fractions

Thank you,
I had since decided to just stick with 3/8,
especially as I need the page to be search engine friendly
and assume most people will use 3/8 when searching.

Toby Inkster

T.J. wrote:

> assume most people will use 3/8 when searching.

Personally, I'd search for 0.375.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

Stephan Bird

In article <<(E-Mail Removed)> ,> Toby
Inkster ((E-Mail Removed)) says...
> T.J. wrote:
>
> > assume most people will use 3/8 when searching.

> Personally, I'd search for 0.375.

And if you're searching for one third?

Stephan
--
Stephan Bird MChem(Hons) AMRSC
Currently in Caernarfon, Wales

Toby Inkster

Stephan Bird wrote:
> Toby Inkster says...
>
>> Personally, I'd search for 0.375.

> And if you're searching for one third?

I'd use a base 3 number system and search for 0.1.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS