Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Can anyone help with this?

Can anyone help with this?

harry

My app is for an Intranet & is required to run ONLY on IE 5.5 (sp2) -
minimum screen resolution is 800*600

I have a web page that is dynamically created, the page is actually a report
that the client wants.

The report is formatted in a table but because the report has 19 columns I'm
having lots of trouble deciding how to specify the column widths

If I use fixed width's I can quite easily show the report exactly as I want
because the Browser allows horz scrolling but when I do a print preview
everything that doesn't fit on one page width is chopped - thought it might
wrap on to other pages but it doesn't!

If I use % to specify column width's the page displayed in the browser looks
awful & still won't fit on one screen as there are so many columns!

Experimented with CSS's media="print" option but still can't get this to
work!

Has anyone any ideas how I can solve this? - perhaps I'm missing something
basic here but I need to display the report in the Browser on a 800*600
system across nearly 2 screens & print it out properly?

Hope I've explained it clearly?

thanks

harry

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

harry wrote:
> My app is for an Intranet & is required to run ONLY on IE 5.5 (sp2)
> - minimum screen resolution is 800*600

But what will you do when the IT department suddenly realizes the
error of their ways and upgrades everyone to Firefox next week?

> I have a web page that is dynamically created, the page is actually
> a report that the client wants.
>
> The report is formatted in a table but because the report has 19
> columns I'm having lots of trouble deciding how to specify the
> column widths

Well, considering that HTML is not really designed for print media,
and since what you are describing sounds more like a spreadsheet than
a web page, have you considered alternative delivery?

<snippage>

> Has anyone any ideas how I can solve this? - perhaps I'm missing
> something basic here but I need to display the report in the
> Browser on a 800*600 system across nearly 2 screens & print it out
> properly?

You would only be able to print as wide as Landscape, when that is
chosen by your viewer.

--
-bts
-This space intentionally left blank.

Travis Newbury

Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
> > My app is for an Intranet & is required to run ONLY on IE 5.5 (sp2)
> > - minimum screen resolution is 800*600

> But what will you do when the IT department suddenly realizes the
> error of their ways and upgrades everyone to Firefox next week?

AH HAHAHAHA Like there is a company out here smart enough to do
that....

--
-=tn=-

harry

thanks for that, unfortunetly I don't decide the Browser & the client has
decided to only ever use IE!

news:SOMbe.8991$(E-Mail Removed)...
> harry wrote:
> > My app is for an Intranet & is required to run ONLY on IE 5.5 (sp2)
> > - minimum screen resolution is 800*600

> But what will you do when the IT department suddenly realizes the
> error of their ways and upgrades everyone to Firefox next week?
>
> > I have a web page that is dynamically created, the page is actually
> > a report that the client wants.
> >
> > The report is formatted in a table but because the report has 19
> > columns I'm having lots of trouble deciding how to specify the
> > column widths

> Well, considering that HTML is not really designed for print media,
> and since what you are describing sounds more like a spreadsheet than
> a web page, have you considered alternative delivery?
>
> <snippage>
>
> > Has anyone any ideas how I can solve this? - perhaps I'm missing
> > something basic here but I need to display the report in the
> > Browser on a 800*600 system across nearly 2 screens & print it out
> > properly?

> You would only be able to print as wide as Landscape, when that is
> chosen by your viewer.
>
> --
> -bts
> -This space intentionally left blank.

nice.guy.nige

While the city slept, Beauregard T. Shagnasty ((E-Mail Removed))
feverishly typed...

> harry wrote:
>> My app is for an Intranet & is required to run ONLY on IE 5.5 (sp2)
>> - minimum screen resolution is 800*600

> But what will you do when the IT department suddenly realizes the
> error of their ways and upgrades everyone to Firefox next week?

Do it again and charge them again? Assuming "To run only in IE5.5" was in
the spec of course...

Cheers,
Nige

--
Nigel Moss
http://www.nigenet.org.uk

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

harry wrote:

> "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> message news:SOMbe.8991$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>> harry wrote:
>>
>>> My app is for an Intranet & is required to run ONLY on IE 5.5
>>> (sp2) - minimum screen resolution is 800*600

>> But what will you do when the IT department suddenly realizes the
>> error of their ways and upgrades everyone to Firefox next week?

[top-posting corrected]
> thanks for that, unfortunetly I don't decide the Browser & the
> client has decided to only ever use IE!

"Only ever use IE." Ok ... so next week he buys a new computer that
doesn't have Windows 98 on it, now has XP SP2, which is the newest
nearly five-year-old IE6. Will your pages still work?

What if next week your client gets hit by a massive spyware attack,
and the consultant called to fix the problem convinces him/her that
using IE is a great security risk and he *should* upgrade.

Your answer is of course to design whatever it is so that it works in
*any* browser. This is much easier than trying to write hacks for a
single ancient one.

Or ... do those 19 columns in Excel. Do you have any kind of
sample you could show as to what exactly these 19 columns are?

--
-bts
-This space intentionally left blank.

Toby Inkster

Travis Newbury wrote:
> Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
>
>> But what will you do when the IT department suddenly realizes the
>> error of their ways and upgrades everyone to Firefox next week?

> AH HAHAHAHA Like there is a company out here smart enough to do
> that....

Ahahahaha! Mine did!

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

Travis Newbury

Toby Inkster wrote:
>>AH HAHAHAHA Like there is a company out here smart enough to do
>>that....

> Ahahahaha! Mine did!

I meant one that matters.... (0-o)

--
-=tn=-

Andy Dingley

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 13:27:44 GMT, "harry" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>My app is for an Intranet & is required to run ONLY on IE 5.5 (sp2) -

No it isn't..

Travis Newbury

Andy Dingley wrote:
>>My app is for an Intranet & is required to run ONLY on IE 5.5 (sp2) -

> No it isn't..

And you know this because....

--
-=tn=-