Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > keeping a url in the IE address bar

keeping a url in the IE address bar

Beauchampy

if i register a domain and have the site hosted elsewhere, the url in the IE
address bar changes to that of the host, i'd like it to stay as the domain
name. is there a way of achieving this using html?

tia.

beauchampy

Safalra

Beauchampy wrote:
> if i register a domain and have the site hosted elsewhere, the url in

the IE
> address bar changes to that of the host, i'd like it to stay as the

domain
> name. is there a way of achieving this using html?

Yes - it's called URL masking and uses frames. Several years ago I used
to use it on safalra.com - before I reached enlightenment. Trust me,
it's counterproductive for a number of reasons, and you'll probably get
more visitors without it...

--
Safalra (Stephen Morley)
http://www.safalra.com/hypertext/

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Safalra wrote:
> Beauchampy wrote:
>
>> if i register a domain and have the site hosted elsewhere, the
>> url in the IE address bar changes to that of the host, i'd like
>> it to stay as the domain name. is there a way of achieving this
>> using html?

> Yes - it's called URL masking and uses frames. Several years ago I
> used to use it on safalra.com - before I reached enlightenment.
> Trust me, it's counterproductive for a number of reasons, and
> you'll probably get more visitors without it...

And further, IE has nothing to do with it, just in case Beauchampy
wasn't aware. The masking etc will be the same in all browsers. (and I
think it is not a good idea as well)

--
-bts
-This space intentionally left blank.

Safalra

Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
> Safalra wrote:
> > Beauchampy wrote:
> >> if i register a domain and have the site hosted elsewhere, the
> >> url in the IE address bar changes to that of the host, i'd like
> >> it to stay as the domain name.

> > Yes - it's called URL masking and uses frames. [snip]
> > Trust me, it's counterproductive for a number of reasons, and
> > you'll probably get more visitors without it...

> And further, IE has nothing to do with it, just in case Beauchampy
> wasn't aware. The masking etc will be the same in all browsers.

Of course. I suppose we should also point out *why* it's a bad idea.
Amongst other things, unless you make sure all your links are absolute
and have target="#top", then the URL in the address bar won't actually
correspond to the page, which means people won't be able to link.
Search engines will also be badly affected - so you damage the two most
important sources of visitors.