Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > what is floating layout and what is not

what is floating layout and what is not

Jon Berg

A general recommendation is to use floating layout in html documents to
be able to use it on different screen resolutions.

What is not defined as floating layout?

Floating:
*use of % size for elements as tables and css boxes.
*picture sizes in pixel size, you should not resize the picture in the
browser?

Not floating:
*using pixel values for size of tables and css boxes.

So any elements that uses pixel values except on images is not floating
layout?

Jon.

Travis Newbury

Jon Berg wrote:
> A general recommendation is to use floating layout in html documents to
> be able to use it on different screen resolutions.

It is only a general recommendation by some. Others say it is a case by
case basis and you should do what ever works best for the particular
site you are working on.

> So any elements that uses pixel values except on images is not floating
> layout?

No. it just means is sizes itself to the browser widow. Nothing more.
Also, it is only as flexible as the widest image. If you have an image
700px wide, then your flexibility stops at 700px.

--
-=tn=-