Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > relative linking of files, can I indicate root no matter the level (subdir) ?

relative linking of files, can I indicate root no matter the level (subdir) ?

Peter Van Hove

I sometimes need to go up a few dirs in my html code, like so :
<frame src="../../page_x.html" name="bottomFrame" scrolling="NO" noresize>
depending on what level (subdir) the html is located.

Q. instead of ../../../.. etc.
Is there a character or combination of characters I can use to ALWAYS
indicate the root ?

Like in a Windows DOS box you can do a
cd .. to go one dir higher
or cd \ to go up all the way

Peter Van Hove

PS. I'm looking for something relative, no hard coded URL.

"Peter Van Hove" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
in message news:Ic6ae.71100$(E-Mail Removed)-ops.be...
>I sometimes need to go up a few dirs in my html code, like so :
> <frame src="../../page_x.html" name="bottomFrame" scrolling="NO" noresize>
> depending on what level (subdir) the html is located.
>
> Q. instead of ../../../.. etc.
> Is there a character or combination of characters I can use to ALWAYS
> indicate the root ?
>
> Like in a Windows DOS box you can do a
> cd .. to go one dir higher
> or cd \ to go up all the way

Steve Pugh

Peter Van Hove wrote:
> I sometimes need to go up a few dirs in my html code, like so :
> <frame src="../../page_x.html" name="bottomFrame" scrolling="NO"

noresize>
> depending on what level (subdir) the html is located.
>
> Q. instead of ../../../.. etc.
> Is there a character or combination of characters I can use to ALWAYS

> indicate the root ?
>
> Like in a Windows DOS box you can do a
> cd .. to go one dir higher
> or cd \ to go up all the way

So close...
Apart from the fact that the slashes go in opposite directions DOS
paths and URLs work much the same at a superficial level, so / is the
character you're looking for:

Steve

Peter Van Hove

Thanks !!
I was in fact experimenting with exactly that and it works,
Your reply however is the confirmation that I need.