Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Apache question

Apache question

soup_or_power@yahoo.com

Sorry about this thread. I didn't know where else to post. The apache
server currently expands "tilda" but won't accept a full path:
http://storm/~megauser/image.jpg works
http://storm/export/home/megauser/image.jpg doesn't work

Is there any way to tweak the apache so that the second URL will work.

Many thanks

Els

--
Els http://locusmeus.com/
- Renato Russo -

Travis Newbury

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Sorry about this thread. I didn't know where else to post. The apache
> server currently expands "tilda" but won't accept a full path:
> http://storm/~megauser/image.jpg works
> http://storm/export/home/megauser/image.jpg doesn't work

Awe crap, I thought this was a thread about Indians. Nevermind

--
-=tn=-

nice.guy.nige

While the city slept, Travis Newbury ((E-Mail Removed)) feverishly
typed...

> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> Sorry about this thread. I didn't know where else to post. The apache
>> server currently expands "tilda" but won't accept a full path:
>> http://storm/~megauser/image.jpg works
>> http://storm/export/home/megauser/image.jpg doesn't work

> Awe crap, I thought this was a thread about Indians. Nevermind

And I thought it was about the music of Hank Marvin!

Cheers,
Nige

--
Nigel Moss
http://www.nigenet.org.uk

Baho Utot

On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 09:49:00 -0700, soup_or_power wrote:

> Sorry about this thread. I didn't know where else to post. The apache
> server currently expands "tilda" but won't accept a full path:
> http://storm/~megauser/image.jpg works
> http://storm/export/home/megauser/image.jpg doesn't work
>
> Is there any way to tweak the apache so that the second URL will work.
>
> Many thanks

Ok, I'll try to help

I suspect Apache says something like access deined. If so you need to add
a directory command for that to work.

Something like this:
<Directory /storm/export/home/megauser/>
Order Deny,Allow
Allow from all
</Directory>

This is usally placed into the VirtualHost part of the configuration file.

You may also need other options according to what your trying to
accomplish.

If this doesn't work then I will need to see your config file httpd.conf

The reason the tilda works is because Apache's configuration has users
home directories enabled.

--
Tayo'y Mga Pinoy

Toby Inkster

soup_or_power wrote:

> Sorry about this thread. I didn't know where else to post. The apache
> server currently expands "tilda" but won't accept a full path:
> http://storm/~megauser/image.jpg works
> http://storm/export/home/megauser/image.jpg doesn't work

Errr.... D'oh! You're completely misunderstanding how Apache maps URLs
onto the filesystem.

Hint: "http://storm/foo.html" does not correspond to the file "/foo.html".
It probably corresponds to something like "/var/www/html/foo.html".

So if you access "http://storm/export/home/megauser/image.jpg" it won't
look for "/export/home/megauser/image.jpg", but rather it will look for
"/var/www/html/export/home/megauser/image.jpg".

Read this to get started:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/urlmapping.html

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS