Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > want text to resize to different windows sizes

want text to resize to different windows sizes

daman

been developing a website and would like to know how do you guys get
the text inside of the webpage to resize as the windows cursor handles
resizes the browser? (or) 800*600 1024*780....... and so on varying
resolutions.
Prethanks everyone

Toby Inkster

daman wrote:

> been developing a website and would like to know how do you guys get
> the text inside of the webpage to resize as the windows cursor handles
> resizes the browser?

The text? As in the font size?

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

Steve Pugh

"daman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>been developing a website and would like to know how do you guys get
>the text inside of the webpage to resize as the windows cursor handles
>resizes the browser? (or) 800*600 1024*780....... and so on varying
>resolutions.

We don't. We trust the user to have already selected a font size that
suits their chosen screen resolution and window size.

Steve

Andy Dingley

Body text (i.e. the default size for <p>} goes as 1em on _all_
sites.

( To work around an IE bug, you code this as 100% instead, but it's
the same effect)

There is _no_ reason to change this. If you want to subclass it, then
p.big-stuff { 1.5em; } is fine, but leave that default in the hands of
the user where it belongs.

SpaceGirl

daman wrote:
> been developing a website and would like to know how do you guys get
> the text inside of the webpage to resize as the windows cursor handles
> resizes the browser? (or) 800*600 1024*780....... and so on varying
> resolutions.
> Prethanks everyone

You cant really do this in HTML. However, if you do it in Flash, Flash
movies can be sent to expand to fill whatever space they are in - so
enlarging the content if you have a big window, and visa versa. However,
a newbie shouldn't go anywhere near Flash. The only other way is to use
some complicated DHTML, and that would be a really REALLY bad idea.

Just let the user select whatever font size they want. You dont have any
real control. All your page can do is "suggest" a size. All major
browsers can easily override whatever you set and there's nothing you
can do about it, other than using something different from HTML (such as
Flash, or SVG).

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

daman

i am using html, not any fancy php. If memory serves correct, two lines
of script was inserted @ the beginning and end of the document and
re-aligned all of the text inside of the browser. surely a guru is
somewhere close by who is adept of knowledge.
prethanks community.

daman

uh, ah, no no gerl! ah, no thanks!

Els

daman wrote:

> uh, ah, no no gerl! ah, no thanks!

Hello Daman,

What do you think people understand of your message when they come
across it somewhere in Google Groups next week?
Or even: what do you think I, regular alt.html reader, understand of
your message? Even though I can see at first glance that your post is
a reply to a message by SpaceGirl (my newsreader doesn't delete posts
from last week), I really don't remember what she wrote in that
message.

Hint: I read more groups than alt.html, SpaceGirl writes a lot of
posts, my memory is based on a human brain, oh, and most important:
you didn't quote the part of the message you replied to.

--
Els http://locusmeus.com/
- Renato Russo -

Els

daman wrote:

> i am using html, not any fancy php. If memory serves correct, two lines
> of script was inserted @ the beginning and end of the document and
> re-aligned all of the text inside of the browser. surely a guru is
> somewhere close by who is adept of knowledge.
> prethanks community.

Yes, it's full of gurus here. But without knowing your problem, even
the best guru can't help you.

Hint: you didn't quote any previous message part. Nobody will know
what you are talking about.

--
Els http://locusmeus.com/
- Renato Russo -

kchayka

daman wrote:

> surely a guru is somewhere close by who is adept of knowledge.

Probably, but here's a tip for you:
If you insist on posting through google groups, learn how to turn on
automatic quoting. Otherwise, few people here will bother responding.
While you're at it, read up on proper quoting in usenet:
<URL:http://allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?How_to_post>

BTW, you are really much better off getting yourself a real newsreader
and abandoning GG. It's only useful as an archive.