Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Forms in html

Forms in html

Toxic Ivy

Hi,

I've got a link on my site to subscribe to my mailinglist. I am using the
mailinglist service from Coollist (www.coollist.com).

The code Coollist had on it's site is:

<form method=POST action=http://www.coollist.com/cgi-bin/subscribe.pl>
<input type=hidden name=list value=YOURLIST> <center>
<input type=text size=20 name=email>

When I enter an email adres and press the Subscribe button, I get
re-directed to the Coollist page in the first line.

Is there a way to post the email adres to the Coollist page and get
re-directed to a page I have made myself. Or, if that isn't possible, can I
get redirected to the Coollist page is a new window.

The reason I ask, is because my site has frames and it just doesn't look
good to have the Coollist page within the frames of my site.

Thank you,
Ivan
www.mistofredeemer.com

Hywel Jenkins

In article <4260309e$0$25646$(E-Mail Removed)>,
i.v.montauban*no*@*spam*gmx.li says...
> Hi,
>
> I've got a link on my site to subscribe to my mailinglist. I am using the
> mailinglist service from Coollist (www.coollist.com).
>
> The code Coollist had on it's site is:
>
> <form method=POST action=http://www.coollist.com/cgi-bin/subscribe.pl>
> <input type=hidden name=list value=YOURLIST> <center>
> <input type=text size=20 name=email>
>
> When I enter an email adres and press the Subscribe button, I get
> re-directed to the Coollist page in the first line.
>
> Is there a way to post the email adres to the Coollist page and get
> re-directed to a page I have made myself. Or, if that isn't possible, can I
> get redirected to the Coollist page is a new window.
>
> The reason I ask, is because my site has frames and it just doesn't look
> good to have the Coollist page within the frames of my site.

What does the CoolList documentation tell you?

--
Hywel

David Dorward

Toxic Ivy wrote:

> I've got a link on my site to subscribe to my mailinglist. I am using the
> mailinglist service from Coollist (www.coollist.com).
>
> The code Coollist had on it's site is:
>
> <form method=POST action=http://www.coollist.com/cgi-bin/subscribe.pl>

Well that's wrong for a start. The value of the action attribute doesn't
meet the requirements for quote marks to be optional. You must have quote
marks around that value.

> <input type=hidden name=list value=YOURLIST> <center>
> <input type=text size=20 name=email>

That's not very good either.

<label for="email">Please enter your email address:</label>
<input type=text size=20 name=email id="email">

would be rather better. You can style the label to be bold if you like.

> When I enter an email adres and press the Subscribe button, I get
> re-directed to the Coollist page in the first line.
>
> Is there a way to post the email adres to the Coollist page and get
> re-directed to a page I have made myself.

No.

> Or, if that isn't possible, can
> I get redirected to the Coollist page is a new window.

Yuck. <form ... target="_blank">

Oh dear. http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Prob...h_using_frames

> and it just doesn't look
> good to have the Coollist page within the frames of my site.

<form ... target="_top"> would be less annoying the a new window, while
still dealing with the issue of your frames surrounding a third party site.

Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

Toxic Ivy

"Hywel Jenkins" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
news:(E-Mail Removed) k...
> In article <4260309e$0$25646$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> i.v.montauban*no*@*spam*gmx.li says...
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've got a link on my site to subscribe to my mailinglist. I am using

the
> > mailinglist service from Coollist (www.coollist.com).
> >
> > The code Coollist had on it's site is:
> >
> > <form method=POST

action=http://www.coollist.com/cgi-bin/subscribe.pl>
> > <input type=hidden name=list value=YOURLIST> <center>
> > <input type=text size=20 name=email>
> >
> > When I enter an email adres and press the Subscribe button, I get
> > re-directed to the Coollist page in the first line.
> >
> > Is there a way to post the email adres to the Coollist page and get
> > re-directed to a page I have made myself. Or, if that isn't possible,

can I
> > get redirected to the Coollist page is a new window.
> >
> > The reason I ask, is because my site has frames and it just doesn't look
> > good to have the Coollist page within the frames of my site.

> What does the CoolList documentation tell you?
>
> --
> Hywel

It just gives me the code and that I have to replace "YOURLIST" with the
accountname. That's all.

Ivan

Toxic Ivy

"David Dorward" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
news:d3pcph$mvv$1$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Toxic Ivy wrote:
>
> > The code Coollist had on it's site is:
> >
> > <form method=POST

action=http://www.coollist.com/cgi-bin/subscribe.pl>

> Well that's wrong for a start. The value of the action attribute doesn't
> meet the requirements for quote marks to be optional. You must have quote
> marks around that value.

Just did that. It makes sense.

> > <input type=hidden name=list value=YOURLIST> <center>
> > <input type=text size=20 name=email>

> That's not very good either.
>
> <label for="email">Please enter your email address:</label>
> <input type=text size=20 name=email id="email">
>
> would be rather better. You can style the label to be bold if you like.

I tried that as well, but what is the benefit of this? It still lookes the
same... or is that just me.

> > When I enter an email adres and press the Subscribe button, I get
> > re-directed to the Coollist page in the first line.
> >
> > Is there a way to post the email adres to the Coollist page and get
> > re-directed to a page I have made myself.

> No.

That's too bad...

> > Or, if that isn't possible, can
> > I get redirected to the Coollist page is a new window.

> Yuck. <form ... target="_blank">

Sorry... I did the target="_top". It lookes better.

> > The reason I ask, is because my site has frames

> Oh dear. http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Prob...h_using_frames

Sorry man, I didn't built the site... I'm just maintaining it. I'm just
getting started on the site building business.
If I ever build a site myself, I will try to avoid frames... happy now??
;-p

> > and it just doesn't look
> > good to have the Coollist page within the frames of my site.

> <form ... target="_top"> would be less annoying the a new window, while
> still dealing with the issue of your frames surrounding a third party

site.

> Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

Thank very much for your help.

Ivan

David Dorward

Toxic Ivy wrote:
>> <label for="email">Please enter your email address:</label>
>> <input type=text size=20 name=email id="email">

> I tried that as well, but what is the benefit of this? It still lookes the
> same... or is that just me.

Try it with a a screen reader, or try clicking on the label.

Home is where the ~/.bashrc is