Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Word Wrap in <PRE> ?

Reply
Thread Tools

Word Wrap in <PRE> ?

 
 
DU
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-18-2005
Toby Inkster wrote:

> You missed the hyphen in "-o-pre-wrap",


Correct

> but recent Operas support the CSS
> 2.1 "pre-wrap" anyway.


Opera dev. software claim to support entirely CSS 2.1
(but we know Opera 8.x does not support at all visibility: collapse).
Regarding pre-wrap, I'll verify this.

DU
--
The site said to use Internet Explorer 5 or better... so I switched to
Mozilla 1.7.7
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Toby Inkster
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-18-2005
DU wrote:

> Opera dev. software claim to support entirely CSS 2.1
> (but we know Opera 8.x does not support at all visibility: collapse).


It does support "visibility:collapse", but there are some bugs when
"visibility:collapse" is applied to elements with "display:table-*".

Besdies which, I still don't think Opera claim to support *all* of CSS 2.1
-- IIRC there are still some numbering systems that Opera doesn't support
for ordered lists.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
Contact Me ~ http://tobyinkster.co.uk/contact

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Jimbo
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-18-2005
In article <q7Y7e.1858$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Leif K-Brooks <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Toby Inkster wrote:
> > $text = &get_data_from_database;
> > $text =~ s/\n\n/<br><br>/g;
> > print $text;

>
> Or better:
>
> $text = &get_data_from_database;
> $text =~ s/\r|\n|\r\n/<br>/g;
> print $text;



O.K... here's the deal, please keep in mind that I'm not very good at
this.

The scipt is here:

http://mosaikum.org/sonst/pws.html

And, I believe, the following is the part where the line breaks for
'return' key need to be placed. How do I do it?(TIA):


sub Bearb {

if (($filename =~ m/[^\w\.\-_]/i) or (not($filename =~ m/\.txt$/)) )
{$filename=""; $showerror='Error in Filename! Use only numbers, letters,
"_" and "-". <br> File MUST end with .txt'; &Auswahl; return;}

$title="Edit $filename";
open (WISHANDLE, "$filename");
while ($wisline = <WISHANDLE>) {
$wisvar .= $wisline;
}

close (WISHANDLE);


print qq!
 
Reply With Quote
 
Lauri Raittila
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-18-2005
in alt.html, Toby Inkster wrote:
> DU wrote:
>
> > Opera dev. software claim to support entirely CSS 2.1
> > (but we know Opera 8.x does not support at all visibility: collapse).

>
> It does support "visibility:collapse", but there are some bugs when
> "visibility:collapse" is applied to elements with "display:table-*".


That is matter of definition of support...

> Besdies which, I still don't think Opera claim to support *all* of CSS 2.1
> -- IIRC there are still some numbering systems that Opera doesn't support
> for ordered lists.


Of course, there is lots of stuff in CSS21 that Opera 8 doesn't fully
support: Display:inline-block, position:absolute and overflow, overflow
and tablestuff, float, :hover, + ...

(haven't tested with RC yet though...)

For example, as visibility:collapse and overflow are most useful with
tables, and not useful without tables (IMHO), I would say that support
for overflow and visibility:collapse does not exist...

(but of course, there is even more things not supported in other
browsers...)

--
Lauri Raittila <http://www.iki.fi/lr> <http://www.iki.fi/zwak/fonts>
Utrecht, NL.
Support me, buy Opera:
https://secure.bmtmicro.com/opera/bu...tml?AID=882173
 
Reply With Quote
 
DU
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-23-2005
Toby Inkster wrote:
> DU wrote:
>
>
>>Opera dev. software claim to support entirely CSS 2.1
>>(but we know Opera 8.x does not support at all visibility: collapse).

>
>
> It does support "visibility:collapse",


I disagree.
http://www.meyerweb.com/eric/css/tes...2/sec11-02.htm
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/attachm...33&action=view

but there are some bugs when
> "visibility:collapse" is applied to elements with "display:table-*".
>
> Besdies which, I still don't think Opera claim to support *all* of CSS 2.1
> -- IIRC there are still some numbering systems that Opera doesn't support
> for ordered lists.
>


Opera's CSS support (and claims to support CSS) is overrated. I tested
carefully Opera 8 build 7561 with over 80 webpages and I saw many
regressions and also what appears to be new rendering bugs. Anyway,
maybe we should start a thread on that in c.i.w.a.stylesheets.

Also, I am upset and disappointed by Opera's bug system report: they
make you work absolutely for free for them (posting, filing, reporting,
testcase, etc) while keeping you in the dark on everything on top of
that. Sometimes the bug is resolved as WFM or wrongly and you never get
a simple feedback. I stopped reporting bugs over there: it's an useless
waste of time.

DU
 
Reply With Quote
 
Csaba Gabor
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-24-2005
DU wrote:
> Also, I am upset and disappointed by Opera's bug system report: they
> make you work absolutely for free for them (posting, filing, reporting,
> testcase, etc) while keeping you in the dark on everything on top of
> that. Sometimes the bug is resolved as WFM or wrongly and you never get
> a simple feedback. I stopped reporting bugs over there: it's an useless
> waste of time.


Ditto that. I also stopped reporting bugs there for the same reason. It
doesn't bother me so much whether they fix them or not, but I'd at least
like to see when someone has made a decision about a bug report (and
the reasoning). Basically, you want to know what you wrote was
considered, even if disagreed with.

That's why I'm happy to report issues to http://bugzilla.mozilla.org
It might take a while, and I might be denied, but at least I see
what's happening.

Csaba Gabor from Vienna
 
Reply With Quote
 
DU
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-24-2005
Csaba Gabor wrote:

> DU wrote:
>
>> Also, I am upset and disappointed by Opera's bug system report: they
>> make you work absolutely for free for them (posting, filing,
>> reporting, testcase, etc) while keeping you in the dark on everything
>> on top of that. Sometimes the bug is resolved as WFM or wrongly and
>> you never get a simple feedback. I stopped reporting bugs over there:
>> it's an useless waste of time.

>
>
> Ditto that. I also stopped reporting bugs there for the same reason. It
> doesn't bother me so much whether they fix them or not, but I'd at least
> like to see when someone has made a decision about a bug report (and
> the reasoning). Basically, you want to know what you wrote was
> considered, even if disagreed with.
>
> That's why I'm happy to report issues to http://bugzilla.mozilla.org
> It might take a while, and I might be denied, but at least I see
> what's happening.
>
> Csaba Gabor from Vienna


Thank you for reporting this. I was sure no one would or could defend
such bug reporting system after an honest try. I ended up thinking that
Opera's bug system is like a blind person communicating with a deaf and
mute person and the blind person does not even know he's speaking to a
deaf and mute person.

Me in 2004: "The first time I filed bug reports at Opera was in January
31st 2002. (...) making good testcase, filing bugs, pinpointing as best
in what consist the bug often takes time."

Sue Sims in 2004: "Indeed! You can't imagine how many test cases I've
written, by de-composing the markup from a page, distilling it down to
the bare essentials of what caused the problem."

And there is no no compensation of any kind, form, shape for
examining/investigating, filing, reporting, making testcase, etc.. doing
all that for Opera.

I have personally filed bugs publicly at MSIE 7 website on its standards
support and everyone can see, read the bugs I've filed. I can not even
do that with Opera!

DU
 
Reply With Quote
 
tm
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-25-2005
DU wrote:
> Csaba Gabor wrote:
> > DU wrote:


> >> Also, I am upset and disappointed by Opera's bug system report: they
> >> make you work absolutely for free for them (posting, filing,
> >> reporting, testcase, etc) while keeping you in the dark on everything
> >> on top of that. Sometimes the bug is resolved as WFM or wrongly and
> >> you never get a simple feedback. I stopped reporting bugs over there:
> >> it's an useless waste of time.

> >
> > Ditto that. I also stopped reporting bugs there for the same reason. It
> > doesn't bother me so much whether they fix them or not, but I'd at least
> > like to see when someone has made a decision about a bug report (and
> > the reasoning). Basically, you want to know what you wrote was
> > considered, even if disagreed with.
> >
> > That's why I'm happy to report issues to http://bugzilla.mozilla.org
> > It might take a while, and I might be denied, but at least I see
> > what's happening.


> Thank you for reporting this. I was sure no one would or could defend
> such bug reporting system after an honest try. I ended up thinking that
> Opera's bug system is like a blind person communicating with a deaf and
> mute person and the blind person does not even know he's speaking to a
> deaf and mute person.
>
> Me in 2004: "The first time I filed bug reports at Opera was in January
> 31st 2002. (...) making good testcase, filing bugs, pinpointing as best
> in what consist the bug often takes time."
>
> Sue Sims in 2004: "Indeed! You can't imagine how many test cases I've
> written, by de-composing the markup from a page, distilling it down to
> the bare essentials of what caused the problem."
>
> And there is no no compensation of any kind, form, shape for
> examining/investigating, filing, reporting, making testcase, etc.. doing
> all that for Opera.
>
> I have personally filed bugs publicly at MSIE 7 website on its standards
> support and everyone can see, read the bugs I've filed. I can not even
> do that with Opera!


I am impressed with your diligence, I thank you and the internets
community thanks you. I personally have been complained to Oprah about
the ridiculous advertizing banner, to no avail. Why anyone would use
such an obviously inferior browser is beyond me.
 
Reply With Quote
 
kchayka
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-25-2005
tm wrote:
>
> I personally have been complained to Oprah


I didn't realize that Ms Winfrey's sphere of influence was so large.

--
Reply email address is a bottomless spam bucket.
Please reply to the group so everyone can share.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Steve Pugh
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-25-2005
kchayka wrote:
> tm wrote:
> >
> > I personally have been complained to Oprah

>
> I didn't realize that Ms Winfrey's sphere of influence was so large.



Well, it's varied a bit over the years...

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HTML word wrap for a very long word/number. Dan Computer Support 9 02-23-2009 01:01 AM
To wrap or not to wrap? Aaron Fude Java 12 05-10-2008 06:33 PM
Wrap computer components in bubble wrap? Ickshka Computer Support 7 05-05-2006 05:54 PM
Text::Wrap::wrap difference Art Werschulz Perl Misc 1 09-25-2003 06:15 PM
Text::Wrap::wrap difference Art Werschulz Perl Misc 0 09-22-2003 02:36 PM



Advertisments