Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > CSS table

CSS table

Jim Scott

Most of my pages have a table with a picture, a link-button(CSS) and some
text; sometimes 2x2 sometimes 3rowsx2cols. It would be nice to have the
basic template in a stylesheet, but I looked at the tutorials and it looked
verry complicated for what it does.
Anyone recommend a site with perhaps a template/sample stylesheet for this?
TIA
--
Jim on Tyneside UK
Remove X to email me.

Andy Dingley

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 12:10:55 GMT, Jim Scott <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Anyone recommend a site with perhaps a template/sample stylesheet for this?

Not entirely what you're after, but one of the few "template sites"
I've seen recently that was worth looking at
http://www.benmeadowcroft.com/webdev...sandcons1.html

CSS-design doesn't really need "templates". The idea is that the
content and presentation are _separated_, which also allows you to
refer to the same "presentation controller" (CSS stylesheet) from many
places, without needing to duplicate it on each page.

Of course there's still some need for templating, because you must
still mark the content up sensibly, and with appropriate use of the
class/id selectors. But this is very much simpler than for a
table-based layout. Often you can simply keep it in your head (for
stylesheets by a single designer) because _all_ of them work with the
same content markup; a <div class="body=text" > in the middle, etc.

Another advantage of the CSS approach is that these selectors are
bound to the content, not the presentation. So "nav-menu" with one
stylesheet might be entirely different with one stylesheet rather than
the other. This is the CSS Zen Garden approach (take a look)
--
Smert' spamionam

Jim Scott

> CSS-design doesn't really need "templates".

Sorry My jargon is not up to scratch yet.
I suppose I meant sample scripts.

--
Jim on Tyneside UK
Remove X to email me.
http://freespace.virgin.net/mr.jimscott/

Andy Dingley

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 15:41:10 GMT, Jim Scott <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Sorry My jargon is not up to scratch yet.
>I suppose I meant sample scripts.

No, "templates" is fine.

Before CSS, you _really_ needed templates. With CSS you can recycle
the existing file (because it's separate) and the thing you author
yourself becomes so simple that close guidance is no longer so
necessary.

Jim Scott

> Before CSS, you _really_ needed templates. With CSS you can recycle
> the existing file (because it's separate) and the thing you author
> yourself becomes so simple that close guidance is no longer so
> necessary.

I know what it is and I use one Toby posted. Although I understand what it
does, I could not have produced it. I find the learning curve very steep
and I am, by nature, impatient. ?
--
Jim on Tyneside UK
Remove X to email me.
http://freespace.virgin.net/mr.jimscott/

William Hamby

On 2005-04-13 08:10:55 -0400, Jim Scott <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

> Most of my pages have a table with a picture, a link-button(CSS) and some
> text; sometimes 2x2 sometimes 3rowsx2cols. It would be nice to have the
> basic template in a stylesheet, but I looked at the tutorials and it looked
> verry complicated for what it does.
> Anyone recommend a site with perhaps a template/sample stylesheet for this?
> TIA

Tables are for tabular data.

Jim Scott

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 15:32:08 -0400, William Hamby wrote:

> On 2005-04-13 08:10:55 -0400, Jim Scott <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>
>> Most of my pages have a table with a picture, a link-button(CSS) and some
>> text; sometimes 2x2 sometimes 3rowsx2cols. It would be nice to have the
>> basic template in a stylesheet, but I looked at the tutorials and it looked
>> verry complicated for what it does.
>> Anyone recommend a site with perhaps a template/sample stylesheet for this?
>> TIA

> Tables are for tabular data.

But they make nice placeholders if you don't know how to do that otherwise.
Which really is my question, how do I find out how to get/make a stylesheet
to do what my tables do.

On 2005-04-13 15:37:47 -0400, Jim Scott <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

> But they make nice placeholders if you don't know how to do that otherwise.
> Which really is my question, how do I find out how to get/make a stylesheet
> to do what my tables do.

Actually, they do NOT make nice placeholders since they are NOT
supposed to be used for anything but tabular data. It's like using a
tricycle to commute back and worth to work just because it's cheaper
than driving a car, only you'll get a ticket for playing in traffic.

To answer your question (thank you for asking it, btw), simply go to
www.w3.org or the CSS vault and learn away. If you have any questions,
don't hesitate to ask me. I'll help in any way I can.

Andy Dingley

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 19:21:10 -0400, William Hamby
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>It's like using a tricycle to commute back and worth to work just because it's cheaper
>than driving a car, only you'll get a ticket for playing in traffic.

Read uk.rec.cycling Several of my neighbours commute 10 miles each
way (Bristol-Bath) on tricycles. I'd do it too, but I'm only a
two-wheeler.

Faster than driving too.

William Hamby

On 2005-04-13 20:00:27 -0400, Andy Dingley <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

> Read uk.rec.cycling Several of my neighbours commute 10 miles each
> way (Bristol-Bath) on tricycles. I'd do it too, but I'm only a
> two-wheeler.
>
> Faster than driving too.

LOL