Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > HTML Tables

HTML Tables

Steve Pugh

"MagicFreebiesUK.co.uk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>"Steve Pugh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> "MagicFreebiesUK.co.uk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> >If, however, I put a lot of text in one of the columns, when I try and
>> >imput text into one of the others it starts half way down the column.
>> >Is there any way to make it so all of the text is aligned at the top of
>> >the columns despite the amount of text in each of them?

>> Yes. In CSS you would apply the vertical-align property, but in
>> clunky, bad HTML like you seem to be using you would apply the valign
>> attribute,
>>

>I put those valign attributes in but they don't seem to have made any
>difference.
>
>Please feel free to look at source:
>http://www.magicfreebiesuk.co.uk/testpage.html

The valign attribute is an attribute that can be applied to <tr> or

There is a HTML specification you can refer to -
http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/

Steve

Blinky the Shark

Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

> Compare your source with that of a nice three-column template by Ben
> Meadowcroft, using no tables at all, shown here:

> http://www.benmeadowcroft.com/webdev...th-footer.html

That's odd -- or at least I *think* it's odd. If I scroll to the
bottom, the footer comes up past the bottom part of the left-column
image, leaving that part of the image hanging below the footer like a
piece of toilet paper stuck to your shoe. At least I wouldn't want
that to happen. Or maybe it's unavoidable.

http://www.blinkynet.net/stuff/comp/footer.gif

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
Who has implemented Usenet Solution #45933:

Blinky the Shark

Blinky the Shark wrote:

> Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

>> Compare your source with that of a nice three-column template by Ben
>> Meadowcroft, using no tables at all, shown here:

>> http://www.benmeadowcroft.com/webdev...th-footer.html

> That's odd -- or at least I *think* it's odd. If I scroll to the
> bottom, the footer comes up past the bottom part of the left-column
> image, leaving that part of the image hanging below the footer like a
> piece of toilet paper stuck to your shoe. At least I wouldn't want
> that to happen. Or maybe it's unavoidable.

> http://www.blinkynet.net/stuff/comp/footer.gif

<piggybacking my own post> Oink!

I should've mentioned that that's Firefox. Same effect with Konqueror, but
not with Opera.

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
Who has implemented Usenet Solution #45933:

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Blinky the Shark wrote:

>>http://www.blinkynet.net/stuff/comp/footer.gif

> <piggybacking my own post> Oink!
>
> I should've mentioned that that's Firefox. Same effect with Konqueror, but
> not with Opera.

Must be your operating system. <g> Works fine for me in W2K, FF
1.0.2, Opera 7.54, IE6.

--
-bts
-This space intentionally left blank.

Blinky the Shark

Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

> Blinky the Shark wrote:

>>>http://www.blinkynet.net/stuff/comp/footer.gif

>> <piggybacking my own post> Oink!

>> I should've mentioned that that's Firefox. Same effect with
>> Konqueror, but not with Opera.

> Must be your operating system. <g> Works fine for me in W2K, FF

2K? Hey, didn't the year 2000 mark the end of The Windows Decade, and
the Dawning Of The Age Of Something Else?

> 1.0.2, Opera 7.54, IE6.

FF 1.0 here; maybe that's the diff.

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
Who has implemented Usenet Solution #45933:

dorayme

> From: "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <(E-Mail Removed)>

snip

> Compare your source with that of a nice three-column template by Ben
> Meadowcroft, using no tables at all, shown here:
>
> http://www.benmeadowcroft.com/webdev...th-footer.html
>
> Notice how un-complex it is. Which would you rather work on?

You are right but it is a pity that it breaks in some otherwise good
browsers like IE 5 and Mozilla 1.3 on a Mac... It breaks horribly in IE but
in Mozilla, only when one reduces the window size (a practice I personally
find useful quite regularly), it is an irritation that is worrying me - I am
not meaning to criticise you unduly. Recently, in frustration, I reverted a
site I had made to the simplest 2 columns, 1 row table as a wrapper. It
stabilised everything like magic! And I did what I hope is the kosher thing
within these two simple cells. Just one table (with simple css valign and
width settings, margins none) stopped all the breaking at small window
sizes. Just could not figure things without - not so that I could trust it
at least...

dorayme

William Hamby

On 2005-04-11 12:10:48 -0400, "MagicFreebiesUK.co.uk"
<(E-Mail Removed)> said:

> Hi,
> I am using a table with three columns to display the main text on my site.

Tables are for tabular data.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

dorayme wrote:

> You are right but it is a pity that it breaks in some otherwise
> good browsers like IE 5 and Mozilla 1.3 on a Mac... It breaks
> horribly in IE but in Mozilla, only when one reduces the window
> size (a practice I personally find useful quite regularly), it is
> an irritation that is worrying me

Sorry, I don't have a Mac. Can you post a screen shot of Mac IE? Works
fine in Win IE.

> - I am not meaning to criticise you unduly.

Not my template. <g> Write to Ben and tell him...

--
-bts
-This space intentionally left blank.

dorayme

> From: "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <(E-Mail Removed)>

> dorayme wrote:
>
>> You are right but it is a pity that it breaks in some otherwise
>> good browsers like IE 5 and Mozilla 1.3 on a Mac... It breaks
>> horribly in IE but in Mozilla, only when one reduces the window
>> size (a practice I personally find useful quite regularly), it is
>> an irritation that is worrying me

> Sorry, I don't have a Mac. Can you post a screen shot of Mac IE? Works
> fine in Win IE.
>
>> - I am not meaning to criticise you unduly.

> Not my template. <g> Write to Ben and tell him...

Here are a couple of screen shots

http://dorayme.150m.com/pics/inIEMac.jpg

and

http://dorayme.150m.com/pics/inMozilla1.3Mac.jpg

dorayme

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

dorayme wrote:
>> From: "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <(E-Mail Removed)>

>> Sorry, I don't have a Mac. Can you post a screen shot of Mac IE?
>> Works fine in Win IE.

> Here are a couple of screen shots
>
> http://dorayme.150m.com/pics/inIEMac.jpg
>
> and
>
> http://dorayme.150m.com/pics/inMozilla1.3Mac.jpg

Ok, thanks. I see what you mean now. Actually, it's the same in
Windoze with IE or Moz or Firefox. You've narrowed the browser to
somewhere around 250px wide. <g> Most all sites will fail that narrow.

Ben's template does work fairly well at around 500px though, about all
one can hope for with a 3-column design.

Here's a grid for measuring windows.
http://home.rochester.rr.com/bshagna...marginset.html

--
-bts
-This space intentionally left blank.

How to get database metadata information (i.e. existing tables and columns in tables) Chris Brat Python 5 08-22-2006 05:25 PM
Tables within tables Otuatail HTML 7 08-02-2004 04:42 AM
Reading HTML Tables in .Net Royal Hale ASP .Net 0 02-24-2004 01:55 AM
Re: Regular expression to find <tr> tags in 2nd level HTML tables Shannon Jacobs Perl 8 01-24-2004 05:26 AM
Text after 2 tables actually appears between 2 tables ! Peter Bassett HTML 3 08-15-2003 06:46 PM

Advertisments