Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Display Problems with Mac Browsers

Reply
Thread Tools

Display Problems with Mac Browsers

 
 
Christofer Dutz
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-07-2005
Hi,

I am having some big problems with Mac Browsers. Especially Netscape 6
and Internet Explorer 5.

The Pages are all Strict HTML 4.01 which I have validated with the W3C
validation service.

On all Windows browsers, which I have tested everything looks fine now.
When viewing the page with MAC browsers evetything is totaly different.
The Mac Netscape 6 doesn't allow my navigation popup-divs are simply cut
off aftger reaching either the parent Divs border or the cell which
contains the div. Everything else seems to look fine.
The Internet Explorer is totaly strange. The page-area is huge, so you
have to scrol to the content. Then everything is sort of pressed to the
left. Each element in every table row is pushed to the left border of
the table where they cover each other.

I have no clue of where to find any information about this.

I have temporarily uploaded the site to http://mail.c-ware.de so you can
have a look at what I'm talking about (please no comment on the pages
content ... I have nothing to do with that )

Hope anyone can help me ... otherwise I'll have to simply ignore those
Mac-Users because I have no time to completely redo the page for those
few percent of clients.



Chris
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Christofer Dutz
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-07-2005
Another Update: Opera 6.03 seems to ignore the overflow-attributes of my
DIVs ... usually ther would be vertical scrolbars ... now the div flows
over the entire screen. And my popups which should popup up pop down ...
very strange

Christofer Dutz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am having some big problems with Mac Browsers. Especially Netscape 6
> and Internet Explorer 5.
>
> The Pages are all Strict HTML 4.01 which I have validated with the W3C
> validation service.
>
> On all Windows browsers, which I have tested everything looks fine now.
> When viewing the page with MAC browsers evetything is totaly different.
> The Mac Netscape 6 doesn't allow my navigation popup-divs are simply cut
> off aftger reaching either the parent Divs border or the cell which
> contains the div. Everything else seems to look fine.
> The Internet Explorer is totaly strange. The page-area is huge, so you
> have to scrol to the content. Then everything is sort of pressed to the
> left. Each element in every table row is pushed to the left border of
> the table where they cover each other.
>
> I have no clue of where to find any information about this.
>
> I have temporarily uploaded the site to http://mail.c-ware.de so you can
> have a look at what I'm talking about (please no comment on the pages
> content ... I have nothing to do with that )
>
> Hope anyone can help me ... otherwise I'll have to simply ignore those
> Mac-Users because I have no time to completely redo the page for those
> few percent of clients.
>
>
>
> Chris

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Jonathan N. Little
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-07-2005
Christofer Dutz wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am having some big problems with Mac Browsers. Especially Netscape 6
> and Internet Explorer 5.
>
> The Pages are all Strict HTML 4.01 which I have validated with the W3C
> validation service.
>
><snip>


Well, Mac and IE5 you're always in a 'World of Hurt'! Just do a
little Googling and .....

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...gs&btnG=Search

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
 
Reply With Quote
 
Andy Dingley
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-07-2005
On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 11:08:41 +0200, Christofer Dutz <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>The Pages are all Strict HTML 4.01 which I have validated with the W3C
>validation service.


This is a prime example of "Strict DTD voodoo"

These aren't the _worst_ pages I've seen posted, but they're some of
them. "They must be good, because I've complied with the strict DTD"
and yet the coding style is just about as backward-looking as you can
get. A hellish mixture of tables and CSS, and the CSS internal,
external and inlined. They're a _mess_, no wonder you don't know why
it's going wrong. There's crap in here like a HTML comment inside the
<style> element and a http-equiv=content-type meta in there, but it
_must_ be good because it's according to Strict !

And you didn't validate the CSS, did you, because that's full of
typos.

As to the specifics, then it's your length units that are causing most
of the trouble. A mix of points (which is bad anyway), pixels and
percentages. You couldn't have written a better demonstrator for a
Mac-unfriendly page if you'd tried.

And it's not even valid HTML, because the framest isn't.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Christofer Dutz
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-08-2005
Andy Dingley wrote:
> On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 11:08:41 +0200, Christofer Dutz <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>
>>The Pages are all Strict HTML 4.01 which I have validated with the W3C
>>validation service.

>
>
> This is a prime example of "Strict DTD voodoo"
>
> These aren't the _worst_ pages I've seen posted, but they're some of
> them. "They must be good, because I've complied with the strict DTD"
> and yet the coding style is just about as backward-looking as you can
> get. A hellish mixture of tables and CSS, and the CSS internal,
> external and inlined. They're a _mess_, no wonder you don't know why
> it's going wrong. There's crap in here like a HTML comment inside the
> <style> element and a http-equiv=content-type meta in there, but it
> _must_ be good because it's according to Strict !
>
> And you didn't validate the CSS, did you, because that's full of
> typos.
>
> As to the specifics, then it's your length units that are causing most
> of the trouble. A mix of points (which is bad anyway), pixels and
> percentages. You couldn't have written a better demonstrator for a
> Mac-unfriendly page if you'd tried.
>
> And it's not even valid HTML, because the framest isn't.


Ok ... thanks for the compliments

what typos ore you talking about? I put the comment in the style element
because i read that this would be the way to protect old browsers from
choking on these, if they can't understand them.
the meta stuf is generated by cocoon by default, so I left it there
since I thought it would be ok.
When talking about the length values I only use px the only occurances
of % is when I talk about 100% width of tables. Didn't know that this is
bad. 100% hight I would understand, but width shouldn't be a problem.
If this code is SO TOTALY ROTTEN AND BAD that Mac can't read it ... well
I think I wont comment on software quality of Mac Browsers then

Your answer sill doesn't explain why in Netscape the Divs are cutt off
when leavin the range of their parent div. Or why IE does stuf I could
never achieve intentionally.

Chris
 
Reply With Quote
 
Blinky the Shark
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-08-2005
Christofer Dutz wrote:

> I am having some big problems with Mac Browsers. Especially Netscape 6
> and Internet Explorer 5.


Opera and Firefox - Linux:

http://blinkynet.net/stuff/comp/buttons.gif

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
Who has implemented Usenet Solution #45933:
Now killing all posts originating at Google Groups
http://blinkynet.net/comp/ggfilters.html for rules
 
Reply With Quote
 
Christofer Dutz
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-08-2005
Blinky the Shark wrote:
> Christofer Dutz wrote:
>
>
>>I am having some big problems with Mac Browsers. Especially Netscape 6
>>and Internet Explorer 5.

>
>
> Opera and Firefox - Linux:
>
> http://blinkynet.net/stuff/comp/buttons.gif
>

That's strange ... it seems to ignore the text size ... I'll have to
have a look at that one ...

Thanx
Chris
 
Reply With Quote
 
dorayme
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-08-2005
> From: Christofer Dutz <(E-Mail Removed)>
> Organization: T-Online


> Hi,
>
> I am having some big problems with Mac Browsers. Especially Netscape 6
> and Internet Explorer 5.


snip

> I have temporarily uploaded the site to http://mail.c-ware.de



> Hope anyone can help me ... otherwise I'll have to simply ignore those
> Mac-Users because I have no time to completely redo the page for those
> few percent of clients.
>
> Chris


Please don't ignore us... And don't hold us hostage over the edge
threatening to drop us from a great height unless you get what you want...


(Your code needs a big overhaul. You have frames (no big crime in itself)
and very complex table parameters (which in my opinion is unnecessary), it
is slow loading on dial up... It needs a great simplifiation given what
appears (I saw it fine in Mozilla 1.3 on an old Mac)

dorayme

 
Reply With Quote
 
Lauri Raittila
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-08-2005
in alt.html, Christofer Dutz wrote:

> it seems to ignore the text size ...


Of course, if you have used too small text size. IE knows how to do that
as well, but hardly enyone knows how to change that setting.

> I'll have to have a look at that one ...


Make it work on all fontsizes.


--
Lauri Raittila <http://www.iki.fi/lr> <http://www.iki.fi/zwak/fonts>
Utrecht, NL.
Support me, buy Opera:
https://secure.bmtmicro.com/opera/bu...tml?AID=882173
 
Reply With Quote
 
Christofer Dutz
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-10-2005
dorayme wrote:
>>From: Christofer Dutz <(E-Mail Removed)>
>>Organization: T-Online

>
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>I am having some big problems with Mac Browsers. Especially Netscape 6
>>and Internet Explorer 5.

>
>
> snip
>
>
>>I have temporarily uploaded the site to http://mail.c-ware.de

>
>
>
>>Hope anyone can help me ... otherwise I'll have to simply ignore those
>>Mac-Users because I have no time to completely redo the page for those
>>few percent of clients.
>>
>>Chris

>
>
> Please don't ignore us... And don't hold us hostage over the edge
> threatening to drop us from a great height unless you get what you want...
>

Don't want to, but I am runing out of time

> (Your code needs a big overhaul. You have frames (no big crime in itself)
> and very complex table parameters (which in my opinion is unnecessary), it
> is slow loading on dial up... It needs a great simplifiation given what
> appears (I saw it fine in Mozilla 1.3 on an old Mac)

On my development-version I switched to DIV-layout so this should be a
lot nicer now. I'll have to test it with the mac when I have finished
the other work.

I didn't like having to use frames but as the web-shop has to do it's
work somehow and I didnt want to have to load the main or popup-pages on
every "add-to-cart" click I decded to use a cart loaded into a hidden
frame ... any better suggestions? If yes, I'll change that right away.

Unfortunately I am more the software architect and not the ultimative
webdesigner, so please have mercy with me

Regards,
Chris

> dorayme
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Browsers, browsers! Quo vadis? El Kabong HTML 23 05-13-2007 08:55 PM
Two Browsers work! Two browsers won't load. Internet game service won't load jimmie Computer Support 1 02-26-2006 08:36 AM
Web browsers with XML client side support in Mac 0S 9.x environment? Diego TERCERO XML 1 03-03-2005 12:58 PM
Mac.Netskape - Server error ! all other browsers - OK TJmaster ASP .Net 1 02-24-2005 04:50 PM
Three different mozilla browsers fail to launch on my Mac G4 David M. Fresco Firefox 13 11-28-2004 05:36 AM



Advertisments