Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Adding a blog to a website?

Adding a blog to a website?

John

Hello.

I just wondered if anyone can recommend an easy low cost or free way
to add a blog to a website?

If you have any links or know of a good solution I would be grateful
to hear.

The website already has articles and what I want to do is allow users
to login and reply to the articles already there with a blogging type
system so it appears underneath.

I am just after something simple.

Thanks for any help

John

Hywel Jenkins

John wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I just wondered if anyone can recommend an easy low cost or free way
> to add a blog to a website?
>
> If you have any links or know of a good solution I would be grateful
> to hear.
>
> The website already has articles and what I want to do is allow users
> to login and reply to the articles already there with a blogging type
> system so it appears underneath.
>
> I am just after something simple.

Download some PHP (or other) based blogging software and set it up. Try
http://www.resourceindex.com/ for a starter. If that yields no fruit,
try http://www.google.com/

--
Hywel

CEFM

Or blogger.com has an option to FTP pages to a directory on your site.

"Hywel Jenkins" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> John wrote:
>> Hello.
>>
>> I just wondered if anyone can recommend an easy low cost or free way
>> to add a blog to a website?
>>
>> If you have any links or know of a good solution I would be grateful
>> to hear.
>>
>> The website already has articles and what I want to do is allow users
>> to login and reply to the articles already there with a blogging type
>> system so it appears underneath.
>>
>> I am just after something simple.

> Download some PHP (or other) based blogging software and set it up. Try
> http://www.resourceindex.com/ for a starter. If that yields no fruit, try
> http://www.google.com/
>
> --
> Hywel

SpaceGirl

John wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I just wondered if anyone can recommend an easy low cost or free way
> to add a blog to a website?
>
> If you have any links or know of a good solution I would be grateful
> to hear.
>
> The website already has articles and what I want to do is allow users
> to login and reply to the articles already there with a blogging type
> system so it appears underneath.
>
> I am just after something simple.
>
> Thanks for any help
>
> John

I was looking for one too, although I'd prefer an ASP based one. Found a
few, but none that do just what I want. I wrote my own basic one, but
rather than adding to it I'd rather just plug on in (no time!!)

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

JDS

On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 22:57:00 +0100, SpaceGirl wrote:

> I was looking for one too, although I'd prefer an ASP based one. Found a
> few, but none that do just what I want. I wrote my own basic one, but
> rather than adding to it I'd rather just plug on in (no time!!)

I don't know of any ASP based ones, but the "gold standard" -- Movable
Type -- is perl based and should run in pretty much any webserver
environment.

http://www.sixapart.com/movabletype/

--
JDS | http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)lid
| http://www.newtnotes.com

Lois

"John" wrote:
: I just wondered if anyone can recommend an easy low cost or free
way
: to add a blog to a website?

I recommend WordPress (http://wordpress.org/). It's free, it
validates, it works well, and it has good support.

: The website already has articles and what I want to do is allow
users
: to login and reply to the articles already there with a blogging
type
: system so it appears underneath.

Take a look at the sites in the "Your WordPress" section of the
support forum. One I saw yesterday that does what I think you want is
at http://www.californiaconservative.org/ .

Lois
--
www.wordsweave.com/

Dominic Myers

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello.
>
> I just wondered if anyone can recommend an easy
> low cost or free way
> to add a blog to a website?
>
> If you have any links or know of a good solution
> I would be grateful
> to hear.
>
> The website already has articles and what I want
> to do is allow users
> to login and reply to the articles already there
> with a blogging type
> system so it appears underneath.
>
> I am just after something simple.
>
> Thanks for any help
>
> John

I've used Rodin http://rodin.lot23.com/ and can't
rate it high enough, it's simple enough to make it
look just how you want and while it's written in
PHP I guess you could reverse engineer it to run
under ASP.
Cheers, Dom

...D.

On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 20:44:44 +0100, John <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Hello.
>I just wondered if anyone can recommend an easy low cost or free way
>to add a blog to a website?
>If you have any links or know of a good solution I would be grateful
>to hear.
>The website already has articles and what I want to do is allow users
>to login and reply to the articles already there with a blogging type
>system so it appears underneath.
>I am just after something simple.
>Thanks for any help
>John

Hi John.. There are several threads about BLOGing software going.. i
started one in fact beifre this one.. I asked if there was any decent and,
with fingers crossed - hopefully free. Well I found one that looks
promising - I think one of your replies mentions this one. So here is a
copy-paste of me answering myself in another thread - and several weeks
later, as i am in this thread too.

------- begin quote:

If anyone is reading this thread, I found one that looks promising. A PHP
BLOGing software package that says it has a "famous 5 minute
installation"..

Well, I kind of put BLOG on the back burner so I haven't tried it out
yet.. Me & PHP don't agree too much because I am no programmer, but I do
run a PHP email type form as a contact me thing, and I even was able to
tweak some of it to fit my situation.

Anywho, "WordPress" is supported through open source, and it says it is
free - GNU released, to use however you want, be you a one site webmaster
or do website writing as a job.. Survives on donations.

OK once again, it is called WordPress. I have WordPress v1.5, which I
think is the latest..

Anywho I am going to get to it soon enough. Just thought I'd mention it
in case anyone is looking..

Have a good one...
...D.

jerseyjim jerseyjim is offline
Junior Member

Hey guys, I recently came upon this site addingblogs.com and its a good site to generate traffic and to join a social networking site with other bloggers. So give it a shot and post your url in the database, and you even get a free blog on the site. So check it out. addingblogs.com