Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Browser link to local file works when local, not work when servedfrom http

Browser link to local file works when local, not work when servedfrom http

lurker

Situation that used to work years ago. It's possible that security
patches now keep it from working.

What I am trying to accomplish:
I want a link on my custom built home page to work. That link goes to a
local file or document on another drive rather than a page (or doc)
within the web site. That file could be a html, *.DOC or a spreadsheet.

excerpt:
...."file:///d:/finance_issues/personal.html">stuff<a>

All other links and data are fully functional served from a remote domain.

Performing browser "File / Open..." to the local index.html, the link to
the local file works fine.

But the subject link is dead.

Is there another way to solve the need?

Carl

Disco Octopus

lurker wrote :
> Situation that used to work years ago. It's possible that security patches
> now keep it from working.

yep. thats what it sounds like to me.
it would be a setting that you could override in your browser
settings/preferences.

--
dont pick your nose if it is sore