Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > css - check browser

css - check browser

APT

I am finding that obsolute positioning with CSS is not cross browser.
Mozilla interprets the position much different that IE.

How do I get my page to check the users browser and then use a specific
style sheet depending on their browser?

Here is the page: http://www.hainesdolphins.org/kayak/html/index.php
If you check it in IE and then Mozilla you'll see very different alignments
on the right

Or maybe there is another solution?

Thanks.

Els

APT wrote:

> I am finding that obsolute positioning with CSS is not cross browser.
> Mozilla interprets the position much different that IE.
>
> How do I get my page to check the users browser and then use a specific
> style sheet depending on their browser?
>
> Here is the page: http://www.hainesdolphins.org/kayak/html/index.php
> If you check it in IE and then Mozilla you'll see very different alignments
> on the right
>
> Or maybe there is another solution?

You're not using a doctype, which throws IE into quirks mode, while
Mozilla probably follows the standards, which is different.
Use a doctype and it might solve your problem.

--
Els http://locusmeus.com/
- Renato Russo -

APT

I just stuck in a generic doctype. It still doesn't work.

It actually works in IE and not in Mozilla.
Thanks for the quick response though.

Steve

"Els" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:1fiug0c8mqlf7$(E-Mail Removed)...
> APT wrote:
>
>> I am finding that obsolute positioning with CSS is not cross browser.
>> Mozilla interprets the position much different that IE.
>>
>> How do I get my page to check the users browser and then use a specific
>> style sheet depending on their browser?
>>
>> Here is the page: http://www.hainesdolphins.org/kayak/html/index.php
>> If you check it in IE and then Mozilla you'll see very different
>> alignments
>> on the right
>>
>> Or maybe there is another solution?

> You're not using a doctype, which throws IE into quirks mode, while
> Mozilla probably follows the standards, which is different.
> Use a doctype and it might solve your problem.
>
> --
> Els http://locusmeus.com/
> Sonhos vem. Sonhos vo. O resto imperfeito.
> - Renato Russo -
> Now playing: Madness - Night Boat to Cairo

Els

Hi Steve/APT,

Please look for your message below, as we read from top to bottom in
this newsgroup.

APT wrote:

> "Els" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:1fiug0c8mqlf7$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> APT wrote:
>>
>>> I am finding that obsolute positioning with CSS is not cross browser.
>>> Mozilla interprets the position much different that IE.
>>>
>>> How do I get my page to check the users browser and then use a specific
>>> style sheet depending on their browser?
>>>
>>> Here is the page: http://www.hainesdolphins.org/kayak/html/index.php
>>> If you check it in IE and then Mozilla you'll see very different
>>> alignments
>>> on the right
>>>
>>> Or maybe there is another solution?

>> You're not using a doctype, which throws IE into quirks mode, while
>> Mozilla probably follows the standards, which is different.
>> Use a doctype and it might solve your problem.

> I just stuck in a generic doctype. It still doesn't work.
>
> It actually works in IE and not in Mozilla.
> Thanks for the quick response though.

That's because "a generic doctype" isn't good enough. You need to
include a dtd, like so:

or so:

"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">

Use the former if you want to conform to the standards, or the latter
if you want to keep using deprecated elements.

--
Els http://locusmeus.com/
- Renato Russo -

APT

"Els" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:79uzi0d19ewj.rnvbgagnhf4v$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Steve/APT,
>
> Please look for your message below, as we read from top to bottom in
> this newsgroup.
>
> APT wrote:
>
>> "Els" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:1fiug0c8mqlf7$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> You're not using a doctype, which throws IE into quirks mode, while
>>> Mozilla probably follows the standards, which is different.
>>> Use a doctype and it might solve your problem.

>> I just stuck in a generic doctype. It still doesn't work.
>>
>> It actually works in IE and not in Mozilla.
>> Thanks for the quick response though.

> That's because "a generic doctype" isn't good enough. You need to
> include a dtd, like so:

> or so:

> Use the former if you want to conform to the standards, or the latter
> if you want to keep using deprecated elements.
>
> --
> Els http://locusmeus.com/
> Sonhos vem. Sonhos vo. O resto imperfeito.
> - Renato Russo -
> Now playing: Madness - Michael Caine

Looks like I am going to have to do the CSS over. The doctype cetainly
changes the pages appearance. I will have to go back and tiddy up my code.

Thanks for the help... (and the tip on posting at the bottom of the
message.)

Steve