Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Excel / markup question

Excel / markup question

Lou Lipnickey

My client wants to have distance ranges specified in an HTML based
report as "10-20" AND then have the ability to put the resulting file
in Excel. However, once in Excel, the label appears as "20-Oct". I tried
&nbsp however, Excel skips it and does the 20-Oct thing. Does anyone
have a workaround? Thanks - Lou

Steve Pugh

Lou Lipnickey <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>My client wants to have distance ranges specified in an HTML based
>report as "10-20" AND then have the ability to put the resulting file
>in Excel. However, once in Excel, the label appears as "20-Oct". I tried
>&nbsp however, Excel skips it and does the 20-Oct thing. Does anyone
>have a workaround? Thanks - Lou

Change the formatting in the Excel sheet so that the relevant cells
are marked as being 'Text' rather than any of the number or date
formats. Nothing to do with the HTML.

Steve

Jukka K. Korpela

Lou Lipnickey <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> My client wants to have distance ranges specified in an HTML based
> report as "10-20"

Really? Why not correctly as "10–20" or "10…20" (or using
the en dash or horizontal ellipsis, in UTF-8 encoding)?

I don't know whether this would make the Excel part easier or more
difficult. I just commented on the part that deals with HTML.

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

Lou Lipnickey

Thanks - I'll give it a go. - Lou

Jukka K. Korpela wrote:

> Lou Lipnickey <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>My client wants to have distance ranges specified in an HTML based
>>report as "10-20"

> Really? Why not correctly as "10–20" or "10…20" (or using
> the en dash or horizontal ellipsis, in UTF-8 encoding)?
>
> I don't know whether this would make the Excel part easier or more
> difficult. I just commented on the part that deals with HTML.

Document markup language version question Peter ASP .Net 3 06-16-2009 05:22 PM
Poll Markup. Where should I place the question? shapper HTML 3 10-08-2008 04:04 PM
rdoc markup question Gary Wright Ruby 3 04-30-2007 08:53 PM
general Wiki format question and Python Wiki markup parsing libraries chris Python 4 05-17-2004 05:27 PM

Advertisments