Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > "Transparent" div not possible in IE - "background-attachment: fixed" not properly rendered

"Transparent" div not possible in IE - "background-attachment: fixed" not properly rendered

GuyBrush Treepwood

I got this link in this newsgroup to show me how a div can be "transparent".
But as stated on the site, IE doesn't render this properly because it
doesn't follow the standard.
I personally don't care for Microsoft or IE,
but making a website that the most people can't see as it is supposed to
be seen, is not very user-friendly.
Is there a workaround to have the same effect in IE?

--
"Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good,
you'll have to ram them down people's throats."

GuyBrush Treepwood

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 05:44:49 +0200, GuyBrush Treepwood wrote:

> I got this link in this newsgroup to show me how a div can be "transparent".
> But as stated on the site, IE doesn't render this properly because it
> doesn't follow the standard.
> I personally don't care for Microsoft or IE,
> but making a website that the most people can't see as it is supposed to
> be seen, is not very user-friendly.
> Is there a workaround to have the same effect in IE?

Sorry, here's the link:
http://www.meyerweb.com/eric/css/edg...iral/demo.html

--
"Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good,
you'll have to ram them down people's throats."
-- Howard Aiken

Mark Parnell

Previously in alt.html, GuyBrush Treepwood <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

> I got this link in this newsgroup to show me how a div can be "transparent".

<snip>
> Is there a workaround to have the same effect in IE?

I assume from the subject line that you are talking about the
background-attachment: fixed; property, though you didn't mention it in
your actual message.

Anyway, it's amazing what a little googling will turn up:

http://www.howtocreate.co.uk/fixedBackground.html
http://www.pageresource.com/html/fixedbg.htm

Neither are ideal solutions, but they're probably about the best you're
going to get until IE7 (if you're lucky).

--
Mark Parnell
http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

mscir

GuyBrush Treepwood wrote:

> On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 05:44:49 +0200, GuyBrush Treepwood wrote:
>
> >I got this link in this newsgroup to show me how a div can be

> "transparent".
> >But as stated on the site, IE doesn't render this properly because it
> >doesn't follow the standard.
> >I personally don't care for Microsoft or IE,
> >but making a website that the most people can't see as it is supposed to
> >be seen, is not very user-friendly.
> >Is there a workaround to have the same effect in IE?

This works in my IE 6, Netscape 7.2, Firefox 1.0.1

<head>
<title>Opacity</title>
<META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1">
body{
width: 100%;
height: 100%;
color: #000000;
background-color: #FFFFFF;
}
#menu{
margin: 5px;
display: block;
width: 160px;
top: 180px;
left: 9px;
opacity: .1; /* these 2 lines control opacity: they work
in IE, NN, Firefox */
filter: alpha(opacity=10); /* make sure the numbers agree, e.g. .7
corresponds to 70% */
color: #000000;
background-color: #FFFFFF;
border: 1px solid black;
padding: 10px;
}
</head>

This is the Opaque Div

Toby Inkster

mscir wrote:

> opacity: .1; /* these 2 lines control opacity: they work
> in IE, NN, Firefox */

Well, that one works in recent versions of Gecko, but it's part of CSS 3,
so not widely implemented yet.

> filter: alpha(opacity=10); /* make sure the numbers agree, e.g. .7
> corresponds to 70% */

And this one is a proprietry CSS extension from MS.

If you're just looking for a translucent *background*, then try:
http://examples.tobyinkster.co.uk/translucency/

If you're after a translucent background *and* *foreground*, then try
mscir's suggestion, but also look into the "-khtml-opacity" property for
Konqueror and Safari support.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS