Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Opinion: Do web standards matter?

Opinion: Do web standards matter?

Oli Filth

laurence said the following on 08/06/2005 20:33:
> I agree you've got a point. I've got a whopping great html/javascript
> application which perfectly validates on the W3C Markup Validator, but which
> the 'trumpeting themselves as W3C conforming' Mozilla gang of browsers will
> not render remotely correctly. If the browser dudes who supposedly most care
> about such things won't (or can't) get it right, what is the point?

How do you define "correctly"?

Valid HTML is not synonymous with decent HTML that will render the way
you expect it to. I could write some perfectly valid HTML that will look
like **** in even the most stringent browser.

Chances are *you've* done something strange.

--
Oli

David Dorward

laurence wrote:

> I agree you've got a point. I've got a whopping great html/javascript
> application which perfectly validates on the W3C Markup Validator, but
> which the 'trumpeting themselves as W3C conforming' Mozilla gang of
> browsers will not render remotely correctly.

Eye halve a spelling chequer
It came with my pea sea
It plainly marques four my revue
Miss steaks eye kin knot sea.

Eye strike a key and type a word
And weight four it two say
Weather eye am wrong oar write
It shows me strait a weigh.

As soon as a mist ache is maid
It nose bee fore two long
And eye can put the error rite
Its rare lea ever wrong.

Eye have run this poem threw it
I am shore your pleased two no
Its letter perfect awl the weigh
My chequer tolled me sew.

Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

David Ross

laurence wrote:

> I agree you've got a point. I've got a whopping great html/javascript
> application which perfectly validates on the W3C Markup Validator, but which
> the 'trumpeting themselves as W3C conforming' Mozilla gang of browsers will
> not render remotely correctly. If the browser dudes who supposedly most care
> about such things won't (or can't) get it right, what is the point?
>
> Eventually, I guess, they'll all take their heads out of their ***** and
> support the standards.

You made the same assertion in another thread in this newsgroup.
However, when asked for the URL of the Web page that validates but
cannot be properly viewed via Mozilla, you refused.

It is indeed possible to write a valid HTML file that does not
display as intended. If you developed that buggy file while
viewing it with an equally buggy browser, you should not be
surprised if other browsers -- with fewer bugs -- don't display
them as you think they should.

I spent 41 years as a software engineer, most of that time doing
software testing. I saw many programs that compiled without error
that failed to produce required results. The programs had correct
syntax but faulty logic. That's not much different from an HTML
file that validates at W3C (correct syntax) but displays
incorrectly (incorrect logic).

--

David E. Ross
<URL:http://www.rossde.com/>

complies with Web standards. See <URL:http://www.mozilla.org/>.

Web standards? Amil ASP .Net 1 06-09-2005 01:05 AM
Web Clients, the role of ASP.NET and the Future of Web Development and Web Standards Guadala Harry ASP .Net 9 11-06-2004 03:05 AM
Evolving Web App Standards and ASP.NET =?Utf-8?B?bWtsYXBw?= ASP .Net 4 07-20-2004 07:52 AM
Web developer survey. (Research project concern with Web Standards.) David Wilding HTML 6 04-03-2004 07:17 PM
asp.net and Web Accessibility Standards Paul G ASP .Net 1 02-26-2004 10:26 PM

Advertisments