Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Mouseover?

Mouseover?

Scott Cadreau

I am trying to add some text that will appear in a "bubble" when a user
hovers his/her mouse over a section on a page. How do I do that?

Thanks,

Scott

Roy Schestowitz

Scott Cadreau wrote:

> I am trying to add some text that will appear in a "bubble" when a user
> hovers his/her mouse over a section on a page. How do I do that?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Scott

There are tooltips in the Knoppix Web site:

http://www.knoppix.org/

Try hovering over the menu or flags, for example. There is also the
possibility of changing nicetitles to fit your needs, e.g.:

http://www.kryogenix.org/code/browser/nicetitle/

You might have to get mouse coordinates and check if they fit within a
rectangle.

Roy

--
Roy Schestowitz
http://schestowitz.com

Mark Parnell

http://meyerweb.com/eric/css/edge/popups/demo.html

--
Mark Parnell
http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

Jukka K. Korpela

"Scott Cadreau" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I am trying to add some text that will appear in a "bubble" when a
> user hovers his/her mouse over a section on a page. How do I do
> that?

Don't.

First write your page so that it works in any mode of use, including
speech, Braille, text-only, and even different graphic renderings
(in any resolution and window or paper width), and naturally gets
indexed well by indexing robots.

Then come back and post the URL, and tell what optional enhancements
you might wish to add, to be experienced by some groups of people.

Most techniques for "bubbles" or something similar work poorly and
typically mess things up in the many environments where the techniques
(such as title attributes, CSS, or JavaScript) don't work. Even expert
advice on such matters is usually faulty: experts fall in love with
their pet techniques and tricks. As an example, here's how the start of
Eric Meyer's page http://meyerweb.com/eric/css/edge/popups/demo.html
(which Mark Parnell mentioned) works on a text browser (which "sees"
the page much the same way as a search engine does):

Home The main page of the site-- a jumping-off point, as it were--
and not actually a picture of our house Links A collection of things
which interest me, and might interest you Away Who knows? Could be
anywhere; you clicks the link and you takes your chances! Eric He's
been called "an internationally recognized expert," but then he's
also been called a "techno-fascist" Kat She cooks fabulous meals, she
throws great parties, she helps women deliver their babies-- what
can't she do? Other Inevitably, there's stuff that doesn't fit in
with other stuff, so we stuffed it all into this page of random stuff

It's all one pseudo-paragraph (a div), with grotesquely long link
texts. If Eric gets it so wrong, how miserably would most of us fail in
trying that at home?

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

Toby Inkster

Jukka K. Korpela wrote:

> If Eric gets it so wrong, how miserably would most of us fail in
> trying that at home?

Eric's not bad at CSS, but he's a dolt at HTML.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

Travis Newbury

Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
>>I am trying to add some text that will appear in a "bubble" when a
>>user hovers his/her mouse over a section on a page. How do I do
>>that?

> Don't.

Yea, how stupid of op to want to do something different and interesting
on the web.. Man the nerve of some people I'm with Jukka and say we
ban everything but plain old text.

--
-=tn=-

Philip Ronan

Scott Cadreau wrote:

> I am trying to add some text that will appear in a "bubble" when a user
> hovers his/her mouse over a section on a page. How do I do that?

Use title attributes.

<P title="Hello world">Blah blah blah</P>

--
phil [dot] ronan @ virgin [dot] net
http://vzone.virgin.net/phil.ronan/

Roy Schestowitz

Travis Newbury wrote:

> Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
>>>I am trying to add some text that will appear in a "bubble" when a
>>>user hovers his/her mouse over a section on a page. How do I do
>>>that?

>> Don't.

> Yea, how stupid of op to want to do something different and interesting
> on the web.. Man the nerve of some people I'm with Jukka and say we
> ban everything but plain old text.

Use an RSS Aggregator more often then. Design doesn't matter anymore.
Content does.

Roy

--
Roy Schestowitz
http://schestowitz.com

Travis Newbury

Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>>Don't.

>>Yea, how stupid of op to want to do something different and interesting
>>on the web.. Man the nerve of some people I'm with Jukka and say we
>>ban everything but plain old text.

> Use an RSS Aggregator more often then. Design doesn't matter anymore.
> Content does.

I just find extreme views (from either side of the argument) really
dumb. The web is gray, not black and white.

--
-=tn=-

R2G2

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 04:45:34 -0500, Travis Newbury <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>>>Yea, how stupid of op to want to do something different and interesting
>>>on the web.. Man the nerve of some people I'm with Jukka and say we
>>>ban everything but plain old text.

>> Use an RSS Aggregator more often then. Design doesn't matter anymore.
>> Content does.

>I just find extreme views (from either side of the argument) really
>dumb. The web is gray, not black and white.

Full color from where I'm viewing it

--
Beccy

Bec but...