Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Is IE HTML 4.01 Compliant?

Is IE HTML 4.01 Compliant?

Randy Yates

Are there any known areas in which the current incarnation
of IE does not adhere to the HTML 4.01 specification?
--
Randy Yates
Sony Ericsson Mobile Communications

Leif K-Brooks

Randy Yates wrote:
> Are there any known areas in which the current incarnation
> of IE does not adhere to the HTML 4.01 specification?

No: it doesn't support the ABBR element. There are probably other
violations as well.

Michael Winter

On 18/03/2005 19:58, Leif K-Brooks wrote:

> [IE] doesn't support the ABBR element. There are probably other
> violations as well.

BUTTON is a gross violation. IE submits the innerText equivalent of
the element rather than it's value attribute. Moreover, if there is
more than one BUTTON element (submit or otherwise) in a form, the
name/innerText pair is submitted for /all/ of them, too.

Mike

--
Michael Winter

Jukka K. Korpela

Randy Yates <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Are there any known areas in which the current incarnation
> of IE does not adhere to the HTML 4.01 specification?

Certainly. It does not even parse HTML according to the specification.
This is of little practical value since authors don't try to use
shorthand markup, but it's still a definite violation of the
specification.

There are lots of practically relevant violations in different areas.
A good book on HTML explains them in conjunction with the presentation
of various constructs.

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

DU

Randy Yates wrote:

> Are there any known areas in which the current incarnation
> of IE does not adhere to the HTML 4.01 specification?

HTML 4 conformance tests measure browsers support for HTML 4:
http://www.robinlionheart.com/stds/html4/results

W3C DRAFT - HTML4 Test Suite
http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/Test/HTML40...sts/index.html

A precise list of HTML violations which has been reported to MSIE 7 dev.
team is here:
HTML Support:
http://channel9.msdn.com/wiki/defaul...andardsSupport

Sick of IE6:
http://www.designdetector.com/archiv.../SickOfIE6.php

DU
--
The site said to use Internet Explorer 5 or better... so I switched to
Mozilla 1.7.6