Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Applet menu and google spiders

Applet menu and google spiders

NewsGuy

I have an applet menu in one of my sites. Every page has the same menu near
the top for navigation. I am starting to get a higher ranking for the main
page and a couple other pages of the site for some keywords in google (now
that I understand better the importance of putting keywords near top of
page). However google has never indexed all 11 pages linked from the top of
my home page. The home page and a couple others have been indexed for many
months (over 6 months). Like I said it is an applet menu that I copied and
pasted into the code. It looks nice, but I'm starting to wonder if google's
spider can not navigate it. Is that a possibility with an applet type menu?

David Dorward

NewsGuy wrote:

> It looks nice, but I'm starting to wonder if google's spider can not
> navigate it. Is that a possibility with an applet type menu?

Yes, processing a Java applet to try to work out what it does and if it
links to any URLs would be a _very_ expensive operation. If it isn't HTML,
then Google won't read links in it.

(For that matter, Java support in general is poor enough that I wouldn't be
happy about the proportion of the audience that using such a menu would cut
out).

Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

Travis Newbury

David Dorward wrote:
>>It looks nice, but I'm starting to wonder if google's spider can not
>>navigate it. Is that a possibility with an applet type menu?

> Yes, processing a Java applet to try to work out what it does and if it
> links to any URLs would be a _very_ expensive operation. If it isn't HTML,
> then Google won't read links in it.

I thought google was now able to "spider" Flash in addition to html. Is
it just key words and not links? (or am I mistaken?)

--
-=tn=-

David Dorward

Travis Newbury wrote:

> I thought google was now able to "spider" Flash in addition to html.

Last I heard there was a search engine which spidered Flash, but not Google.
I could be wrong about that.

Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

Toby Inkster

David Dorward wrote:

> Travis Newbury wrote:
>
>> I thought google was now able to "spider" Flash in addition to html.

> Last I heard there was a search engine which spidered Flash, but not
> Google. I could be wrong about that.

Google does index Flash now, but can't follow embedded links.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

Travis Newbury

Toby Inkster wrote:
>>>I thought google was now able to "spider" Flash in addition to html.

>>Last I heard there was a search engine which spidered Flash, but not
>>Google. I could be wrong about that.

> Google does index Flash now, but can't follow embedded links.

Thanks all.

--
-=tn=-

Cynthia Turcotte

Newsguy,

If you're 100% devoted to the notion of keeping that java applet, an
easy work-around
that would please Google (and the other search engines) would be:

a. include a sitemap with text links to each page of your site
b. include alternative text link navigation at the bottom of each page
-- if done in a smaller
font size (i.e. size 2, 10 or 11px, etc...) it's relatively unobtrusive.

Cheers!

Cynthia T.

NewsGuy wrote:

>I have an applet menu in one of my sites. Every page has the same menu near
>the top for navigation. I am starting to get a higher ranking for the main
>page and a couple other pages of the site for some keywords in google (now
>that I understand better the importance of putting keywords near top of
>page). However google has never indexed all 11 pages linked from the top of
>my home page. The home page and a couple others have been indexed for many
>months (over 6 months). Like I said it is an applet menu that I copied and
>pasted into the code. It looks nice, but I'm starting to wonder if google's
>spider can not navigate it. Is that a possibility with an applet type menu?

--
DigitalRainmakers.com - Search Engine Optimization & Web Design
FREE Search Engine Optimization Advice -- Post your SEO question

David Dorward

Cynthia Turcotte wrote:

Please don't top post. http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?How_to_post

> -- if done in a smaller
> font size (i.e. size 2,

The font element (and its associated size attribute) is deprecated and
should not be used.

> 10 or 11px, etc...)

Font sizes specified in pixels are considered harmful.
http://css-discuss.incutio.com/?page=FontSize

Home is where the ~/.bashrc is