Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > HTML Compactor

HTML Compactor

Jeremy Ross

Hello,

I am looking for a program that will compact my HTML, so its all one one
line, I have seen many of these programs around before but am now unable to
find one that does this. If anyone knows of one that would be great.

Thanks,

Jeremy Ross

David Dorward

Jeremy Ross wrote:

> I am looking for a program that will compact my HTML, so its all one one
> line, I have seen many of these programs around before but am now unable
> to find one that does this.

perl -p -e's/\n/\ /' my.html

.... utterly pointless of course.

(get Perl from http://www.activestate.com/ if you don't have it already)

Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

Blinky the Shark

Jeremy Ross wrote:

> I am looking for a program that will compact my HTML, so its all one one
> line

Why?

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
Who has implemented Usenet Solution #45933:

Adrienne

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Blinky the Shark
<(E-Mail Removed)> writing in
news:(E-Mail Removed) :

> Jeremy Ross wrote:
>
>> I am looking for a program that will compact my HTML, so its all one
>> one line

> Why?

Probably to "hide" it or make it difficult to view source.

--
Adrienne Boswell
http://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info

David Dorward

Adrienne wrote:

>>> I am looking for a program that will compact my HTML, so its all one
>>> one line

>> Why?

> Probably to "hide" it or make it difficult to view source.

Which is pointless since:
(a) Good HTML is *very* simple and not worth copying
and
(b) HTML Tidy can make it readable again rather quickly

Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

Toby Inkster

Jeremy Ross wrote:

> I am looking for a program that will compact my HTML

Google: mod_gzip.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

Michael Laplante

"Jeremy Ross" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I am looking for a program that will compact my HTML, so its all one one
> line, I have seen many of these programs around before but am now unable

> find one that does this. If anyone knows of one that would be great.

FWIW, Notetab Lite (free from www.notetab.com) will do this. Use the replace
function to replace "^p" with nothing and you're done.

Richard Brooks

Jeremy Ross wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am looking for a program that will compact my HTML, so its all one
> one line, I have seen many of these programs around before but am now
> unable to find one that does this. If anyone knows of one that would
> be great.
>
> Thanks,

1st Page 2000 will do it.
<http://www.evrsoft.com/1stpage2.shtml>

Richard Brooks.

Jeremy Ross

Hello,

The real reason for wanting something like this, is because there is a
program that uses the nl2br function in php, witch creates a <br> tag at
every new line, now i am placing a table inside this function, witch is
formated wiht each cell on a new line, so there are loads of <br> tages
being placed in the code, and the table is moving down many lines because of
this.

I need that program to make it all on one line so there are no <br> tags
being placed.

Thanks,
Jeremy

"David Dorward" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:d0qbjo$bli$1$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Why?

>> Probably to "hide" it or make it difficult to view source.

> Which is pointless since:
> (a) Good HTML is *very* simple and not worth copying
> and
> (b) HTML Tidy can make it readable again rather quickly

> Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

marcus@myrealbox.com

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 12:57:18 GMT, "Jeremy Ross" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I need that program to make it all on one line so there are no <br> tags
>being placed.

In that case you don't need compaction, you need to edit the file and delete
some of the BR tags.

regards
Marcus