Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Alternative for framed site

Alternative for framed site

Nico Schuyt

Long long time ago I built a framed site: http://www.vleeskens.nl/
The layout was designed in Corel Draw by someone else and I was not allowed
to change it. At that time I couldn't think of an an alternative for frames.
New atempt:
A (stable) layout with only div boxes seems to be impossible to make with
this layout.
On http://www.vleeskens.nl/p_basis2.htm an iframe is applied and some more
CSS. Could be an improvement but I don't like iframes.
On http://www.vleeskens.nl/p_div.htm a design using a table in combination
with a scrollable div. A snippet of javascript is used to make it scrollable
in Mozilla based browsers. Result looks good in IE but in FireFox it
collapses and in Opera it's bad: The content div has no height.

The problem could be solved if I knew how to assign a height: 90% to a div
in a table with height: 100%.
Anyone an idea how to realize that?

--
Nico
http://www.nicoschuyt.nl

Spartanicus

"Nico Schuyt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>The problem could be solved if I knew how to assign a height: 90% to a div
>in a table with height: 100%.

body{margin:0;padding:0}
html,body,table,td{height:100%}
div{height:90%}

--
Spartanicus

Nico Schuyt

Spartanicus wrote:
> "Nico Schuyt" wrote:

>> The problem could be solved if I knew how to assign a height: 90% to
>> a div in a table with height: 100%.

> body{margin:0;padding:0}
> html,body,table,td{height:100%}
> div{height:90%}

Well, that's in principal the same as I did.
I added an overflow:auto to the div in your code and end up in
http://www.vleeskens.nl/p_height.htm
IE: OK
FF: Table is too high
Opera: The div has a height of zero

--

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/spartanicus/nico.htm

--
Spartanicus

Nico Schuyt

Spartanicus wrote:

>>> body{margin:0;padding:0}
>>> html,body,table,td{height:100%}
>>> div{height:90%}

>> Well, that's in principal the same as I did.
>> I added an overflow:auto to the div in your code and end up in
>> http://www.vleeskens.nl/p_height.htm
>> IE: OK
>> FF: Table is too high
>> Opera: The div has a height of zero

> http://homepage.ntlworld.com/spartanicus/nico.htm

OK, that works fine. The problem occurs when there's more text. IE handles
it correctly with overflow:auto but FF en Opera fail

--
Nico
http://www.nicoschuyt.nl

Spartanicus

"Nico Schuyt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> http://homepage.ntlworld.com/spartanicus/nico.htm

>OK, that works fine. The problem occurs when there's more text. IE handles
>it correctly with overflow:auto but FF en Opera fail

I can't be bothered to look up the why, but I can guarantee you that IE
get's it wrong, and FF & Opera get it right.

Ditching the table would probably solve it, but you should dump the
whole idea, scrolling divs are a usability nightmare.

--
Spartanicus

Nico Schuyt

Spartanicus wrote:
> "Nico Schuyt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> http://homepage.ntlworld.com/spartanicus/nico.htm

>> OK, that works fine. The problem occurs when there's more text. IE
>> handles it correctly with overflow:auto but FF en Opera fail

> I can't be bothered to look up the why, but I can guarantee you that
> IE get's it wrong,

I'm not so sure. The browser is instructed (suggested to render a table
as 100% height
of window size and a div with 90% of the height of the cel. IE does so.

> and FF & Opera get it right.

FF and Opera render the page completely different

> Ditching the table would probably solve it, but you should dump the
> whole idea, scrolling divs are a usability nightmare.

The alternatives (frame and iframe) are not ideal too. I don't think it's
possible to create this specific design with div's only.

Thanks anyway!

--
Nico
http://www.nicoschuyt.nl

Lauri Raittila

in alt.html, Nico Schuyt wrote:
> Spartanicus wrote:

> >> Well, that's in principal the same as I did.
> >> I added an overflow:auto to the div in your code and end up in
> >> http://www.vleeskens.nl/p_height.htm
> >> IE: OK
> >> FF: Table is too high
> >> Opera: The div has a height of zero

> > http://homepage.ntlworld.com/spartanicus/nico.htm

> OK, that works fine. The problem occurs when there's more text. IE handles
> it correctly with overflow:auto but FF en Opera fail

Opera 7.5 IIRC handle isssue better than older/newer. Try applying width,
it fixes issue on all Opera 7, IIRC.

Utrecht, NL.

Nico Schuyt

Lauri Raittila wrote:
> in alt.html, Nico Schuyt wrote:
>> Spartanicus wrote:

>>> http://homepage.ntlworld.com/spartanicus/nico.htm

>> OK, that works fine. The problem occurs when there's more text. IE
>> handles it correctly with overflow:auto but FF en Opera fail

> Opera 7.5 IIRC handle isssue better than older/newer.

"Best viewed with Opera 7.5000000"

> Try applying
> width, it fixes issue on all Opera 7, IIRC.

A width property on the div has no effect in Opera 7.54
(http://www.vleeskens.nl/p_height.htm)

--
Nico
http://www.nicoschuyt.nl

Lauri Raittila

in alt.html, Nico Schuyt wrote:
> Lauri Raittila wrote:
> > in alt.html, Nico Schuyt wrote:

> >> OK, that works fine. The problem occurs when there's more text. IE
> >> handles it correctly with overflow:auto but FF en Opera fail

> > Opera 7.5 IIRC handle isssue better than older/newer.

> "Best viewed with Opera 7.5000000"

Actually, it is not exactly same problem...
I didn't notice your undefined use of CSS:

http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/tables.html#height-layout
http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS2/tables.html#height-layout
| CSS 2[.1] does not define what percentage values of 'height' refer to
| when specified for table cells.

> A width property on the div has no effect in Opera 7.54
> (http://www.vleeskens.nl/p_height.htm)

Add:
td {position:relative;}
div {position:absolute;}

And it magically starts working on Opera 8b2...

You can see the bug I was talking about here:
http://www.student.oulu.fi/~laurirai...incorrect.html

Utrecht, NL.