Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > horizontal scrollbar problem in frame with IE

horizontal scrollbar problem in frame with IE

Oli Filth

Paul J. le Génial wrote:
> "Mark Parnell" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de
> news: 1xoe248ktiyw3$(E-Mail Removed) u...
>
>>Previously in alt.html, "Paul J. Le Genial"
>><(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>>

>>>"Richard" <Anonymous@127.001> wrote

>><snip>
>>
>>Paul, just ignore Richard. He's our resident troll, and he's not very
>>good at that, let alone HTML.
>>
>>--

> As explained, I need to use frames and I use them with a lot of javascript
> (frameset will be created by javascript). So do you have a solution to
> remove this annoying horizontal scrollbar ?

Yes: don't use frames.

A site using frames where the frameset is generated by "a lot of
javascript" is almost certainly heading for disaster.

Someone already posted a comprehensive list of why frames are almost
always a bad idea. However, on top of that, your page looks really bad
in Firefox. Invest some time in researching how to make a site that
doesn't use frames.

--
Oli

Mark Parnell

Previously in alt.html, "Paul J. le Génial"
<(E-Mail Removed)> said:

> As explained, I need to use frames

And as I explained, no you don't.

> and I use them with a lot of javascript

For non-essential "bells and whistles" only, of course.

> (frameset will be created by javascript)

I guess not. So what will your visitors with Javascript
disabled/unavailable get?

> So do you have a solution to
> remove this annoying horizontal scrollbar ?

As I said in my other post, don't use frames. Read through the links I
provided for why. If they don't convince you, the last link explains how
to do frames properly - but it is so much more work than a non-frames
solution that I don't know why you would bother.

--
Mark Parnell
http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

Paul J. Le Genial

> > So do you have a solution to
> > remove this annoying horizontal scrollbar ?

> As I said in my other post, don't use frames. Read through the links I
> provided for why. If they don't convince you, the last link explains how
> to do frames properly - but it is so much more work than a non-frames
> solution that I don't know why you would bother.

If it was only to display, yes, I could use <div> in replacement. But, my
site should work both on a local computer (CD distribution, no access to
php, asp or else) and online (internet, where I could find an ISP with
server scripting available). So I do not have solutions to :
1) display only the root of the site in the address bar
2) use the hidden <frame_work> to pass navigation information and global
variables from one page to another (using search part of the href)
3) load only once the top and bottom navigation files as well as the
javascript files

* For online people without Javascript or without Frame display, they will
use a reduced version of the site (i.e without navigation bars) available
from the <noframe> tag (site map links).
* This <noframe> is also available to robots for indexing.
* A link is available on each page to bookmark outside the frame with a
script to reload the page inside the frameset on each load.

So, I think there is much advantages for me to use frames than using <div>
(or may be you have a solution for which I did not think ?) and I have
provided solutions for most of the disadvantages of frames.

Still, I am open to all your suggestions

Paul J. Le Genial

"Oli Filth" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:8NlYd.3670$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Paul J. le Génial wrote:
>
> Yes: don't use frames.
>
> A site using frames where the frameset is generated by "a lot of
> javascript" is almost certainly heading for disaster.
>
> Someone already posted a comprehensive list of why frames are almost
> always a bad idea. However, on top of that, your page looks really bad
> in Firefox. Invest some time in researching how to make a site that
> doesn't use frames.

The version that you looked is only a development one and not yet fully
tested with Firefox (though the version on my PC display correctly with
win2k and firefox).
Have a look on my answer to Mark P. to see why I want to use frames.