Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Multi-language in one page?

Multi-language in one page?

Kelvin

I think these may be difficult but...
1)Is it possible to show 2 languages (for example, English and Japanese) in
one html page?
2)Or is it possible to show texts in English or Japanese according to
browser setting?

Thank you a lot,
Best regards,
Kelvin

Jukka K. Korpela

"Kelvin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> 1)Is it possible to show 2 languages (for example, English and
> Japanese) in one html page?

Yes, but not advisable, except for short texts (essentially, a link to
an English version on a Japanese page and vice versa, using words in
that other language in the link text) or special pages such as
a dictionary or a page that compares e.g. some English text and its
Japanese translation.

Technically, you would just need to use a character encoding that
supports both (or all) languages used, or use special techniques such
as character references.

> 2)Or is it possible to show texts in English or Japanese according
> to browser setting?

Yes, but millions of browsers are wrongly configured in this respect,
so you would still need explicit links as backup. More info:
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/multi/

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

Carolyn Marenger

On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 17:31:09 +0800, Kelvin wrote:

> I think these may be difficult but...
> 1)Is it possible to show 2 languages (for example, English and Japanese) in
> one html page?

There are a number of ways of doing it. Two colums for two languages is
one way. Flags linking to the alternate language page is another.

> 2)Or is it possible to show texts in English or Japanese according to
> browser setting?

Yes, but I don't know what's involved.

> Thank you a lot,
> Best regards,
> Kelvin

Carolyn

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Carolyn Marenger wrote:

> Flags linking to the alternate language page is another.

I smell a discussion about to erupt...

--
-bts
-This space intentionally driving away from Mt. St. Helens.

Carolyn Marenger

On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 08:52:37 -0500, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

> Carolyn Marenger wrote:
>
>> Flags linking to the alternate language page is another.

> I smell a discussion about to erupt...

I semll the curry chicken soup that is on the stove and the rice pilaf
that we are having for lunch.

Carolyn

Lauri Raittila

in alt.html, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
> Carolyn Marenger wrote:
>
> > Flags linking to the alternate language page is another.

> I smell a discussion about to erupt...

http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/flags.html

Utrecht, NL.

Carolyn Marenger

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 00:40:08 +0100, Lauri Raittila wrote:

> in alt.html, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
>> Carolyn Marenger wrote:
>>
>> > Flags linking to the alternate language page is another.

>> I smell a discussion about to erupt...

> http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/flags.html

Thank you for the link. It is certainly worth considering the next time I
do a multi-lingual page. Unfortunately, the page points out the problems,
but doesn't give any solutions.

Carolyn

Steve Pugh

Carolyn Marenger <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 00:40:08 +0100, Lauri Raittila wrote:
>
>> in alt.html, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

>>> I smell a discussion about to erupt...

>> http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/flags.html

>Thank you for the link. It is certainly worth considering the next time I
>do a multi-lingual page. Unfortunately, the page points out the problems,
>but doesn't give any solutions.

"There is a perfect symbol for any language which you can use on the
Web: the name of the language in the language itself"

Dave Patton

"Kelvin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

http://www.confluence.org/confluence.php?visitid=9973

--
Dave Patton
http://www.confluence.org/

Carolyn Marenger

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 11:42:42 +0000, Steve Pugh wrote:

> Carolyn Marenger <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/flags.html

>>Thank you for the link. It is certainly worth considering the next time I
>>do a multi-lingual page. Unfortunately, the page points out the problems,
>>but doesn't give any solutions.

> "There is a perfect symbol for any language which you can use on the
> Web: the name of the language in the language itself"

That works very well for a small number of languages, but some sites, HP.com as an example, are available in dozens, if not more, languages.
The best long term solution is getting the browsers and servers to
communicate language preferences and select the appropriate language
version of each page. Any idea where I can find out more about what is
being done to that end, and how to implement it on my own sites?

It is strictly a personal site, but I am working on one in English which
will be translated to French, German, Dutch, Portugeuse, Czech, Slovak,
and maybe Spanish. Excluding the language someone is reading, that would
mean at least seven links to the equivalent language pages.

Thanks, Carolyn