Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Css vs presentation page with cartoon

Css vs presentation page with cartoon

R2G2

On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 13:42:58 -0600, kchayka <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>R2G2 wrote:
>> On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 11:23:49 -0600, kchayka <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>For best results with CSS layouts you need to:
>>>- understand the box model
>>>- understand how positioning and floats work
>>>- design for flexibility
>>>- apply KISS principles

>> I was going to ask what KISS stood for

><URL:http://www.acronymfinder.com/af-query.asp?Acronym=kiss>
>
>Go with the first result.

;-p

--
Beccy

Bec but...

Andy Dingley

It was somewhere outside Barstow when R2G2
<(E-Mail Removed)9.co.uk> wrote:

>I didn't do any of the above, I just played around in Dreamweaver.

That's the trouble with WYSIWYG, and particularly the "just playing
around" approach.

- Your browser is not my browser

- If you defer decisions to your editing tool by "just playing
around", you don't know what it decided, or why it decided it.

Absolute positioning is great, as far as it works, but it's not robust
f the underlying assumptions change. _Why_ is that column that width?
Should it be big enough to hold some text (use ems), big enough to
hold an image (use pixels), or splitting the window (use percentages).

How should that column resize if the window size changes? Should it
hold its own, resize in proportion, or expand to fill all available
space at the expense of other columns?

Lauri Raittila

in alt.html, Andy Dingley wrote:
> It was somewhere outside Barstow when R2G2
> <(E-Mail Removed)9.co.uk> wrote:
>
> >I didn't do any of the above, I just played around in Dreamweaver.

> That's the trouble with WYSIWYG, and particularly the "just playing
> around" approach.

Actually, it is not trouble with wysiwyg, in fact, with wysiwyg it is
usually practical aproach. But, of course, there is no such thing as
wysiwyg when talking about webpages.

> - Your browser is not my browser

And as importantly, your settings are not my settings. Many people are
fooled, because they test with all these browsers, with all having
similar settings.

I'll recommend people to make few sets settings for browser(s), and just
keep changing those whyle doing webpage. It helps a lot.

> Absolute positioning is great, as far as it works, but it's not robust
> f the underlying assumptions change. _Why_ is that column that width?
> Should it be big enough to hold some text (use ems), big enough to
> hold an image (use pixels), or splitting the window (use percentages).

When you have 2 lenghts involved with absolute positioning of one
element, you should consider it carefully.

Utrecht, NL.