Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > html /css horizontal drop-down menu question

html /css horizontal drop-down menu question

the idiot

is it possible to build a horizontal drop-down menu using html (xhtml) css
without having any javascript for bug fixing etc? - all the tutorials i have
found on www require a bit of js.

thank you very mucho
kev

David Dorward

the idiot wrote:

> is it possible to build a horizontal drop-down menu using html (xhtml) css
> without having any javascript for bug fixing etc? - all the tutorials i
> have found on www require a bit of js.

Yes ... providing you don't mind if it doesn't work in IE or that it depends
on exact tracking (i.e. the user can't slide the mouse off the menu as them
move to a specific item on it - good user interfaces allow a few seconds of
fuzzy time to handle such things as slipping, motor skill issues (e.g. as
caused by arthritis), or slightly clogged up mice.)

Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

David Dorward

the idiot wrote:

> is it possible to build a horizontal drop-down menu using html (xhtml) css
> without having any javascript for bug fixing etc? - all the tutorials i
> have found on www require a bit of js.

Yes ... providing you don't mind if it doesn't work in IE or that it depends
on exact tracking (i.e. the user can't slide the mouse off the menu and then
move to a specific item on it - good user interfaces allow a few seconds of
fuzzy time to handle such things as slipping, motor skill issues (e.g. as
caused by arthritis), or slightly clogged up mice.)

Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

the idiot

"David Dorward" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:d0es5k$bqh$1$(E-Mail Removed)...
> the idiot wrote:
>
> > is it possible to build a horizontal drop-down menu using html (xhtml)

css
> > without having any javascript for bug fixing etc? - all the tutorials i
> > have found on www require a bit of js.

> Yes ... providing you don't mind if it doesn't work in IE or that it

depends
> on exact tracking (i.e. the user can't slide the mouse off the menu and

then
> move to a specific item on it - good user interfaces allow a few seconds

of
> fuzzy time to handle such things as slipping, motor skill issues (e.g. as
> caused by arthritis), or slightly clogged up mice.)

arghhh just as i assumed... i was going to build a nice css menu to replace
the dhtml one i have so that the 10% of folk who browse with js turned off
could see it but to do it it would mean stopping the 90% who use ie from
seeing it.......... oh dear oh dear oh dear.
cheers anyway.

Carolyn Marenger

On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 13:27:20 +0000, the idiot wrote:

> "David Dorward" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:d0es5k$bqh$1$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> the idiot wrote:
>>
>> > is it possible to build a horizontal drop-down menu using html (xhtml)

> css
>> > without having any javascript for bug fixing etc? - all the tutorials i
>> > have found on www require a bit of js.

>> Yes ... providing you don't mind if it doesn't work in IE or that it

> depends
>> on exact tracking (i.e. the user can't slide the mouse off the menu and

> then
>> move to a specific item on it - good user interfaces allow a few seconds

> of
>> fuzzy time to handle such things as slipping, motor skill issues (e.g. as
>> caused by arthritis), or slightly clogged up mice.)
>>

> arghhh just as i assumed... i was going to build a nice css menu to replace
> the dhtml one i have so that the 10% of folk who browse with js turned off
> could see it but to do it it would mean stopping the 90% who use ie from
> seeing it.......... oh dear oh dear oh dear.
> cheers anyway.

Well, some of us linux using and js disabling users, would appreciate a
site that works for us and not for MS Users. Yeah, I really think I would.

CArolyn

Richard

On Sun, 6 Mar 2005 11:12:50 -0000 the idiot wrote:

> is it possible to build a horizontal drop-down menu using html (xhtml) css
> without having any javascript for bug fixing etc? - all the tutorials i
> have found on www require a bit of js.
>
> thank you very mucho
> kev

www.suckerfish.org

Check out their menus.
Works fairly well in IE6 even without JS.
They only use a very small script to trick IE into using the css.

the idiot

"Carolyn Marenger" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed).. .
> On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 13:27:20 +0000, the idiot wrote:
>

> > "David Dorward" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:d0es5k$bqh$1$(E-Mail Removed)...

(xhtml)
> > css

> >> Yes ... providing you don't mind if it doesn't work in IE or that it

> > depends
> >> on exact tracking (i.e. the user can't slide the mouse off the menu and

> > then
> >> move to a specific item on it - good user interfaces allow a few

seconds
> > of
> >> fuzzy time to handle such things as slipping, motor skill issues (e.g.

as
> >> caused by arthritis), or slightly clogged up mice.)
> >>

> > arghhh just as i assumed... i was going to build a nice css menu to

replace
> > the dhtml one i have so that the 10% of folk who browse with js turned

off
> > could see it but to do it it would mean stopping the 90% who use ie from
> > seeing it.......... oh dear oh dear oh dear.
> > cheers anyway.

> Well, some of us linux using and js disabling users, would appreciate a
> site that works for us and not for MS Users. Yeah, I really think I

would.

thats why i am stuck with what to bloomin well do. i want everyone to be
happy.

the idiot

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 6 Mar 2005 11:12:50 -0000 the idiot wrote:
>
> > is it possible to build a horizontal drop-down menu using html (xhtml)

css
> > without having any javascript for bug fixing etc? - all the tutorials i
> > have found on www require a bit of js.
> >
> > thank you very mucho
> > kev
> >

> www.suckerfish.org
>
> Check out their menus.
> Works fairly well in IE6 even without JS.
> They only use a very small script to trick IE into using the css.

i think i was looking at something similar earlier but because it uses a
little bit of js to fix ie doesnt that mean that all those without js turned
on wouldnt be able to see anything? or am i confused again...

Edwin van der Vaart

Richard wrote:
> On Sun, 6 Mar 2005 11:12:50 -0000 the idiot wrote:
>
>>is it possible to build a horizontal drop-down menu using html (xhtml) css
>>without having any javascript for bug fixing etc? - all the tutorials i
>>have found on www require a bit of js.

> www.suckerfish.org

Got an error message:
www.suckerfish.org could not be found. Please check the name and try again.

Or you mean
http://www.alistapart.com/articles/dropdowns/
--
Edwin van der Vaart

Edwin van der Vaart

the idiot wrote:
> is it possible to build a horizontal drop-down menu using html (xhtml) css
> without having any javascript for bug fixing etc? - all the tutorials i have
> found on www require a bit of js.

A nice horizontal drop-down menu explanation.
http://www.alistapart.com/articles/horizdropdowns/

Sneak preview (xhtml trans 1.0)
http://www.alistapart.com/d/horizdro...horizontal.htm
--