Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Rookie Questions?

Rookie Questions?

JDS

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 20:24:30 +0000, Blinky the Shark wrote:

> Even though I think he meant postal mail, here's something good on not

Postal spam is no better than email spam. In fact, I think its worse. At
least email spam is just 1's and 0's that I can easily delete. I have to
*shred* a lot of my postal spam!

--
JDS | http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
| http://www.newtnotes.com

Carolyn Marenger

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 15:45:46 -0500, JDS wrote:

> On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 20:24:30 +0000, Blinky the Shark wrote:
>
>> Even though I think he meant postal mail, here's something good on not

> Postal spam is no better than email spam. In fact, I think its worse. At
> least email spam is just 1's and 0's that I can easily delete. I have to
> *shred* a lot of my postal spam!

The ones and zeros are much easier to send however, and I receive alot of
it. I only receive one or two postal spams a month. In part, thanks to a
"No Flyers" sticker on my mailbox. Wish I could post one of those
stickers on my email box.

Carolyn

Sally Thompson

On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 22:38:10 GMT, "jojo" <cgv_2000*yourhat*@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>"JDS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news(E-Mail Removed) id...
>> On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 17:54:27 +0000, jojo wrote:
>>
>> > Can someone help me with this?

>> Number one: Stop using MS Publisher to produce HTML.
>>
>> I'm not the only one who is going to tell you this. If you really are a
>> rookie, then just accept this as gospel and do it. (Well, don't just
>> accept it 100% --I (and others) will explain why if you ask.)

>What would you recommended for simple things like my site?
>I actually just got an offer in the mail today for WebPlus 8 from Serif...is
>it any good?

No, it isn't. I tried it for a while and then started learning HTML
and CSS from scratch - much better. I quite like NoteTab Light which
is free and very simple, but here are some other free editors
(courtesy of brucie);

HTML
free:
jedit: http://www.jedit.org/
nedit: http://www.nedit.org/
ewisoft: http://www.ewisoft.com/
netpadd: http://www.netpadd.com/
araneae: http://www.araneae.com/
1st page: http://www.evrsoft.com/
crimson: http://crimsoneditor.com/
ezpad: http://www.mmedia.is/ezpad/
acehtml: http://freeware.acehtml.com/
notetab light: http://www.notetab.com/
html-kit: http://www.chami.com/html-kit/
context: http://www.fixedsys.com/context/
pspad: http://www.pspad.com/en/index.html
websmill: http://www.xtreeme.com/websmill/
metapad: http://www.liquidninja.com/metapad/
quanta (linux): http://quanta.sourceforge.net/
tswebeditor: http://thaler.ennstal.at/tswebeditor/
notespad: http://www.newbie.net/NotesPad/index.html
pagebuilder: http://www.tafweb.com/pagebuilder.html
grey matter pro: http://www.pagetutor.com/misc/grey.html
editpad lite: http://www.editpadlite.com/editpadlite.html
stones webwrite: http://www.webwriter.dk/english/index.htm
matizha sublime: http://www.matizha.com/en/products/sublime/

crimson editor seems to be highly recommended here; I also use
html-kit which I like but I found more difficult to get to grips with.
YMMV.

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
Reply To address is spam trap

Blinky the Shark

JDS wrote:
> On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 20:24:30 +0000, Blinky the Shark wrote:

>> Even though I think he meant postal mail, here's something good on not

> Postal spam is no better than email spam. In fact, I think its worse. At
> least email spam is just 1's and 0's that I can easily delete. I have to
> *shred* a lot of my postal spam!

Sounds like you get a lot of credit card offers; I doubt that you're
shredding the flyers from the supermarket. And that's about all I
shred. I don't know from where you're posting, but for USans there's
a no-mail list one can be on that's specific to credit card pitches.
Hang on. <clicketyclick> Found it:

[q]

You can opt-out of the incessant pre-approved credit card offers
by contacting the three major credit bureaus directly:
http://www.creditsourceonline.com/opt-out.html

I can vouch from experience that they do honor such requests.
Before sending the opt-out letter a few years back, I used to
get several of these offers every week; since opting out, nada.
This really can make quite a dent in the junk mail pile.

[/q]

That from a friend in another group:

If not "quite a dent in the junk mail pile", at least quite a dent in
the ones you have to actually process with the shredder.

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
Who has implemented Usenet Solution #45933:

Andy Dingley

It was somewhere outside Barstow when Blinky the Shark
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I doubt that you're
>shredding the flyers from the supermarket.

I shred everything. I have a really nice shredder, and I just like
using it. Very therapeutic experience, especially the political
flyers with the big photos on.

Jonathan N. Little

Carolyn Marenger wrote:
<snip>

> If you point us to the web page, we can tell you the easiest way to center
> the content. It could be as simple as a <center> ... </center> around the
> content. In the long run, CSS is the way to go.
>
> Carolyn

CCS better, <center> depreciated

http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/pres...ml#edef-CENTER

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

mbstevens

Jonathan N. Little wrote:

> CCS better, <center> depreciated

Well, it has been replaced by a better alternative.
http://www.kryogenix.org/days/2004/01/09/deprecate
--
mbstevens

Jonathan N. Little

mbstevens wrote:

> Jonathan N. Little wrote:
>

>>CCS better, <center> depreciated

> Well, it has been replaced by a better alternative.
> http://www.kryogenix.org/days/2004/01/09/deprecate

Caught me in a typo, bad, bad, right hand!

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Adrienne

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "jojo" <cgv_2000*yourhat*@yahoo.com>
writing in news:nbIVd.2$(E-Mail Removed):

> Do you guys have time for them here?
>
> I have created a single web page with Microsoft Publisher.
> I have some experience with HTML-Kit and use it to "tweak".
> It's a simple page, and get across exactly what I need.
>
> What I would like for it to do that it does not do is center the page on
> whatever monitor it
> is opened on. Right now the whole page justifies to the left.
>
> Can someone help me with this?
>
> Thanks,
> jojo

In addition to what others have said about Publisher, you already have the
tool you need - HTML-Kit is just fine. Here's what you need:

div#main {margin-left:auto; margin-right:auto}
</head>
The contents of this div element is horizontally centered in the page.

--
Adrienne Boswell
http://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info

Spartanicus

Adrienne <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>div#main {margin-left:auto; margin-right:auto}
></head>
>The contents of this div element is horizontally centered in the page.

That would not center the content of the div, neither would it center
the div itself, for that to happen you'd have to add a width and the
viewport would have to be wider than that width. Even then it wouldn't
work in IE5.x.

--
Spartanicus

Bandwidth Utilization for PIX Rookie langley101@aol.com Cisco 1 02-28-2006 01:43 AM
question about 290,291,270,228 from a rookie duke MCSE 1 02-26-2006 06:36 AM
Rookie Question Big E ASP .Net 2 06-17-2004 05:27 AM
MCSE rookie need help Marko MCSE 0 09-16-2003 05:43 AM
Re: MCSE rookie need help gg77 MCSE 0 09-15-2003 05:34 PM

Advertisments