Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Browser Testing

Browser Testing

Blinky the Shark

Mark Parnell wrote:
> Previously in
> comp.infosystems.http://www.authoring.stylesheets,alt...ng.site-design,
> Stan Brown <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

>> IIRC, they're "the same program" only in name. My understanding is
>> that Mac IE5 and Windows IE5 were different code bases.

> More than that - they use completely different rendering engines.

What did/does MAC IE use? Something one-off?

-
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
Who has implemented Usenet Solution #45933:

Mark Parnell

Previously in alt.html, Blinky the Shark <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

> What did/does MAC IE use? Something one-off?

It's called Tasman - I don't know of any other browsers that use it. Win
IE uses Trident.

--
Mark Parnell
http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

Nick Theodorakis

On 3 Mar 2005 00:13:26 GMT, Blinky the Shark <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Mark Parnell wrote:
>> Previously in
>> comp.infosystems.http://www.authoring.stylesheets,alt...ng.site-design,
>> Stan Brown <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

>>> IIRC, they're "the same program" only in name. My understanding is
>>> that Mac IE5 and Windows IE5 were different code bases.

>> More than that - they use completely different rendering engines.

>What did/does MAC IE use? Something one-off?

Correct. MS handed development of IE for the Mac to Tantek Celik, who
made the Tasman rendering engine for that browser. AFAIK, it wasn't
ported to any other platform.

It was a very advanced browser for it's day, with better CSS support
than anything else around except for possibly Opera (certainly better
than WinIE5), although it did have a few idiosyncratic bugs. It became
the "default" installed browser for the mac around OS8 or 9, but MS
later abandoned it when it became clear that Apple was going to use
the KHTML-based Safari for the default browser for OSX.

Nick

--
Nick Theodorakis
contact form:

Jonathan N. Little

Harlan Messinger wrote:
> Stephen Poley wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 15:04:50 -0500, Don G <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> According to Microsoft no, but some genius did find a way of doing it,
>> and I've got IE 6, IE 5.5 and IE 5.0 all on my machine. Unfortunately
>> I've now lost the link to the method of doing it, but a bit of googling
>> on the c.i.w.a.* hierarchy should find it.
>>

> http://labs.insert-title.com/labs/article795.aspx

That is the link and the instructions work, I just added MSIE 4.0 (from
an old Win98SE Disk) and MSIE 5.01 (from my Win2K). All working with
MSIE 6.0.2 on my Win2K box. Will add 5.5 as soon as I locate a cd with it.

The article does not list the files required for 4.0, but I got it to
work with just these...

IEXPLORE.EXE
INETCPL.CPL
JSCRIPT.DLL
MSHTML.DLL
SHDOCVW.DLL
URLMON.DLL
VBSCRIPT.DLL
iexplore.exe.local (The zero byte file you create)

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

"Jonathan N. Little" <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

> That is the link and the instructions work, I just added MSIE 4.0 (from
> an old Win98SE Disk) and MSIE 5.01 (from my Win2K). All working with
> MSIE 6.0.2 on my Win2K box. Will add 5.5 as soon as I locate a cd with it.

Or you can download them (just the necessary files) from
http://browsers.evolt.org/?ie/32bit/standalone

--

Nick Theodorakis wrote:
> On 3 Mar 2005 00:13:26 GMT, Blinky the Shark <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:

>>Mark Parnell wrote:
>>> Previously in
>>> comp.infosystems.http://www.authoring.stylesheets,alt...ng.site-design,

>>> More than that - they use completely different rendering engines.

>>What did/does MAC IE use? Something one-off?

> Correct. MS handed development of IE for the Mac to Tantek Celik, who
> made the Tasman rendering engine for that browser. AFAIK, it wasn't
> ported to any other platform.

> It was a very advanced browser for it's day, with better CSS support
> than anything else around except for possibly Opera (certainly better
> than WinIE5), although it did have a few idiosyncratic bugs. It became
> the "default" installed browser for the mac around OS8 or 9, but MS
> later abandoned it when it became clear that Apple was going to use
> the KHTML-based Safari for the default browser for OSX.

Interesting. Thanks, Nick.

http://tantek.com/map.html

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
Who has implemented Usenet Solution #45933:

logic_earth

It is a good idea to test your site in every possible browser.....on
every os.

IE 4-6
Netscape 7 (gecko - this includes Mozilla)
Netscape 6 (beta-gecko)
Netscape 4
Opera 4-7
Lynx

Those are what I test in on my Winbox. I don't have Linux nor a Mac.
*sigh*

Signed, Thomas M. - GD-Studio.com

Mark Parnell <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

> I have IE 4.01, 5.01, 5.5 and 6 all installed on
> this machine here.

Whoops - forgot I also have IE3. The icon's different so I didn't notice
it.

--
Mark Parnell
http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

Mark Parnell

Previously in
comp.infosystems.http://www.authoring.stylesheets,alt...ng.site-design,
logic_earth <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

Please quote the relevant parts of the post you are replying to. I
realise Google groups doesn't make that easy, but it is possible.

[Testing browsers]
> IE 4-6

Make sure you include both 5 and 5.5 - there were some significant
differences between them, despite the same major version number.

> Netscape 7 (gecko - this includes Mozilla)

Only Mozilla 1.0 or 1.1 IIRC. A more recent version would be a good
idea.

--
Mark Parnell
http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au