Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Browser Testing

Browser Testing

Don G

I currently have IE6 and Firefox installed on my machine, and I switch
between the two when testing web sites I am working on. It is my
understanding that IE5 is still pretty common. Is this correct? Should
I be testing my web site with IE5 as well? If so, does anyone know
where I might be able to download a copy? Is it possible to install IE5
on a machine with IE6?

I know that there are many browsers out there, and that each has it's
own quirks, but are the differences significant enough to merit
installing one or more additional alternate browsers? If so, which
browser(s) would you recommend testing with?

Thanks,

Don

Carolyn Marenger

On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 15:04:50 -0500, Don G wrote:

> I currently have IE6 and Firefox installed on my machine, and I switch
> between the two when testing web sites I am working on. It is my
> understanding that IE5 is still pretty common. Is this correct? Should
> I be testing my web site with IE5 as well? If so, does anyone know
> where I might be able to download a copy? Is it possible to install IE5
> on a machine with IE6?
>
> I know that there are many browsers out there, and that each has it's
> own quirks, but are the differences significant enough to merit
> installing one or more additional alternate browsers? If so, which
> browser(s) would you recommend testing with?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Don

If you do a google search for ie5setup, you should be able to find it
quite easily. I don't know how to, or even if it is possible to install
the two side by side.

I use Konqueror in linux, I don't think there is a windows version of it.
Opera is an idea that is available for windows.

Carolyn

Barbara de Zoete

On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 15:04:50 -0500, Don G <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

[Users with IE5 for Windows still common; browser questions]

Don't know about that bit, but no doubt other people do

> I know that there are many browsers out there, and that each has it's own
> quirks, but are the differences significant enough to merit installing one or
> more additional alternate browsers? If so, which browser(s) would you
> recommend testing with?

I can greatly recommend Opera[1]. Not only is it _the_ most standards compliant
browser for Windows afaik, it also gives you a box full of 'browsers' to play
with. It has all sort of views, like emulating a text browser or a browser with
large letters or high contrast.

[1]Not affiliated with them in any way; just a happy user.

saz

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 15:04:50 -0500, Don G wrote:
>
> > I currently have IE6 and Firefox installed on my machine, and I switch
> > between the two when testing web sites I am working on. It is my
> > understanding that IE5 is still pretty common. Is this correct? Should
> > I be testing my web site with IE5 as well? If so, does anyone know
> > where I might be able to download a copy? Is it possible to install IE5
> > on a machine with IE6?
> >
> > I know that there are many browsers out there, and that each has it's
> > own quirks, but are the differences significant enough to merit
> > installing one or more additional alternate browsers? If so, which
> > browser(s) would you recommend testing with?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Don

> If you do a google search for ie5setup, you should be able to find it
> quite easily. I don't know how to, or even if it is possible to install
> the two side by side.
>
> I use Konqueror in linux, I don't think there is a windows version of it.
> Opera is an idea that is available for windows.
>
> Carolyn

If you can get your hands on a Mac, use that for testing as well. I was
given a 4 year-old Mac, and I was amazed at how messed up 2 of my sites
were when viewed in IE for Mac and Netscape/Mozilla for Mac.

Don G

> If you can get your hands on a Mac, use that for testing as well. I was
> given a 4 year-old Mac, and I was amazed at how messed up 2 of my sites
> were when viewed in IE for Mac and Netscape/Mozilla for Mac.

Interesting... I don't suppose anyone has any clue as to why the
rendering for the same program would be different between the Mac and
the PC version.

Don

Adrienne

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Don G <(E-Mail Removed)> writing
in news:422623a0$(E-Mail Removed):

>> If you can get your hands on a Mac, use that for testing as well. I
>> was given a 4 year-old Mac, and I was amazed at how messed up 2 of my
>> sites were when viewed in IE for Mac and Netscape/Mozilla for Mac.

> Interesting... I don't suppose anyone has any clue as to why the
> rendering for the same program would be different between the Mac and
> the PC version.
>
> Don

Because they are two completely different operating systems. There are
some things that IE Mac supports the IE Win does not, and vice versa.

--
Adrienne Boswell
http://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info

Barbara de Zoete

On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 15:34:26 -0500, Don G <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> If you can get your hands on a Mac, use that for testing as well. I was
>> given a 4 year-old Mac, and I was amazed at how messed up 2 of my sites were
>> when viewed in IE for Mac and Netscape/Mozilla for Mac.

> Interesting... I don't suppose anyone has any clue as to why the rendering for
> the same program would be different between the Mac and the PC version.

Well, what if it is _not_ the same program?

Don G

> I can greatly recommend Opera[1]. Not only is it _the_ most standards
> compliant browser for Windows afaik, ...

How different is Opera's rendering from Firefox's? I am just getting
started, so I would like to keep things as simple as possible for the
time being. If the differences are significant, then I will need to
check it out though.

> ... it also gives you a box full of 'browsers' to play with. It has all
> sort of views, like emulating a text browser or a browser with large
> letters or high contrast.

These sounds like an interesting and useful features. I might end up
checking Opera out just for these features.

Thanks,

Don

Tim

A program for a mac and for windows might have a the same name and serv
the same purpose but you can hardly compare them since the foundatio
they are built to work on is a great deal different

--
Ti
Tim's Profile: http://www.hjyllc.com/forums/member.php?userid=

Don G

> Well, what if it is _not_ the same program?

I guess this might very well be the case. I assumed that IE for Mac was
simply a port of IE for Windows. If that was the case, then the core of
the program would be the same, and only the parts specific to the
operating system would be different. I don't really know anything about
programming for Mac and Windows, so I don't know if this is really doable.

Don