Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Perfectly valid website crashing IE

Perfectly valid website crashing IE

Nik Coughin

Toby Inkster wrote:
> Nik Coughin wrote:
>
>> That's the bizarre thing (or one of them anyway) -- the output from
>> the php, which the browser *should* treat exactly the same way,
>> doesn't cause the crash.

> Is there a difference in the HTTP headers?

That's a damn good point Toby. I will have a look.

Me

"Benign Vanilla" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "William Tasso" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
> <snip>
> > btw: 'About us' <http://www.masterpiece.co.nz/aboutUs.php> splendid
> > alternative to the usual even if the 'office manager' does look a little
> > scary.

> Melissa's description sounds like a singles ad.

And I have to admit that I'm impressed by the general manager, John, who
"has been in the industry for well over 100 years working..."
Looks good for his age.

> --
> BV
> Webporgmaster of iheartmypond.com
> http://www.iheartmypond.com
> I'll be leaning on the bus stop post.

Nik Coughin

Nik Coughin wrote:
> mscir wrote:
>> Nik Coughin wrote:

>> This is probably not related, but why include this file:
>>
>> @import url( ./css/whatsNew.php );
>>
>> http://www.masterpiece.co.nz/css/whatsNew.php

>> Mike

> Good point! Will fix that.

For some reason if you try to import a blank css file (well, php but it is
sending a css content type header), it does that (adds the html and body).
I added this line to the offending stylesheet:

/* do nothing */

Not only that, but IE doesn't crash anymore.

Problem fixed!

Thanks a million Mike.

mscir

Nik Coughin wrote:

> Nik Coughin wrote:
>>mscir wrote:
>>>This is probably not related, but why include this file:
>>>@import url( ./css/whatsNew.php );
>>>http://www.masterpiece.co.nz/css/whatsNew.php
>>>Mike

>>Good point! Will fix that.

> For some reason if you try to import a blank css file (well, php but it is
> sending a css content type header), it does that (adds the html and body).
> I added this line to the offending stylesheet:
>
> /* do nothing */

> Not only that, but IE doesn't crash anymore.
>
> Problem fixed!
>
> Thanks a million Mike.

Cool!
Mike

Gerry W - for email use my name at dergal 0 com

"Matt Probert" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Once upon a time, far far away "Nik Coughin" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> spluttered
>
> >Could anyone using IE 6 please test this site for me, and let me know if

it
> >generates an error?
> >

> What a surprise...It doesn't generate any errors when I visit with IE
> 6 (XP).
>
> Not me, but a cynic might wonder if there is really a problem, or
> whether you just want to generate some traffic.
>
> Matt

he says frequently posting short posts with his website in his signature,
some might say that some of those were just to bump up visits...

notice the LONG list of my URLS aren't anywhere to be found!

Matt Probert

Once upon a time, far far away "Gerry W - for email use my name at
dergal 0 com" <(E-Mail Removed)> spluttered

>"Matt Probert" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Once upon a time, far far away "Nik Coughin" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> spluttered
>>
>> >Could anyone using IE 6 please test this site for me, and let me know if

>it
>> >generates an error?
>> >

>> What a surprise...It doesn't generate any errors when I visit with IE
>> 6 (XP).
>>
>> Not me, but a cynic might wonder if there is really a problem, or
>> whether you just want to generate some traffic.
>>
>> Matt

>he says frequently posting short posts with his website in his signature,
>some might say that some of those were just to bump up visits...

Point taken.

Matt